Author Topic: What's in my Shed  (Read 8117 times)

Online Twizseven

Re: What's in my Shed
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »
I try to vacuum swarf up on a regular basis every hour or so.  Its bad enough carrying it into the house on clothes or shoes but my biggest worry is the cats getting swarf in their paws.  The cat wanders into the garage/workshop and round to where I am working when he wants food or a fuss.

What does anyone else do about swarf and pets.

Colin

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 08:23:15 PM »
What does anyone else do about swarf and pets

keep 'em locked up :LittleDevil:

Online Twizseven

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:14 PM »
That's a tad harder with cats, especially is he garage is the only route into the house.  The dogs don't look entirely happy about it. :'(

Colin

Offline Laurentic

• Nr Yeovil, Somerset, England
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 10:20:07 PM »
I never got over the sign I saw over an engineers desk in a CEGB (That date's me) Power Station, "A clean desk is a sure sign of a sick mind", back in the 1980's.

My shed has never got over it either. 

I do try and keep it clean, but clearing swarf does tend to get left littering the lathe and mill until a "really must deal with that" time arrives.  Best intentions and all that.  But I do wish I wasn't quite such a hoarder and didn't have so much stuff littering the place, never mind the swarf.

Nice shed Jason, given me food for thought, the way you've organised things.

Chris

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 03:11:53 AM »
However, sometimes size matters, or so I'm told.

I always used to think size wasn't important, but then all my wallpaper fell off.

AS

I see what you did there Allen  :cheers:  :lolb:
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
thats a nice looking and well organized shop

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 08:54:28 PM »
Great workshop Jason, thanks for the tour.            Terry

Offline RayW

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2019, 04:29:29 PM »
Thought you might enjoy this as a contrast to Jason's very tidy workshop.
Some years ago, I helped a friend clear out her late fathers "workshop" which was in the back of his garage. By way of thanks, I was given most of the contents including my Churchill Redman Cub lathe as recounted elsewhere on this forum.
The attached photo shows yours truly in the partially tidied up shop (yes, really)!! The large drip tray on the lathe must have been a good four inches deep with swarf all over and buried in it I found two sets of chuck jaws and various other tools. There were also numerous tools scattered about the floor buried in swarf and sawdust.
The lathe gearbox is on the floor to the left of my leg and you can see the two black control knobs for the feed and screwcutting gearbox just above my back.
Ray

Offline Hrcoleman

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2020, 05:20:35 AM »
Hello Jason,

I know that this is an old thread, but I was wondering if you could let me know how you found the Sieg SX2.7 compared to your own Mill?
I'm in the market for an upgrade to my ageing X1 and have been looking at the Sieg SX2.7 and SX3 as well as the more or less equivalent Optimum machines.
Tending towards the Siegs at the moment due to the higher Mass and heavier columns.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2020, 07:22:33 AM »
If you can afford it then go with the SX3, although mine is the X3 it shares a lot of parts and it is a more rigid machine than the SX2.7 having larger width and length dovetails and a more substantial column yet the table is about the same size. If you do go SX2.7 than stick with the standard table length. They both give reasonable readings when I put a dti on them so not much in it accuracy wise but you can certainly take a bigger cut with the larger machine and not just due to the larger motor. I also prefer not having to reach up to the top of the column to move the head.

Offline Hrcoleman

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »
Thanks Jason.
The z crank being at the front of the base is very attractive I must say.
Good tip on the dovetails.  Not something I had considered in my decision making.

Cheers,

Hugh.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »
Good to get a look inside the studio of a master artist!

Alas, my shop is diametrically opposite to yours in terms of tidiness. During each stage of a project it just gets more and more chaotic until the end of the stage, at which point I reorganize then the whole process starts again...

And your dirty bench is cleaner than my clean bench is.

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2020, 03:41:55 PM »

The z crank being at the front of the base is very attractive I must say.
Good tip on the dovetails.  Not something I had considered in my decision making.

Hugh - There's no doubt that Jason is an authority on Seig mills. I'd have gone for the SX3 but felt at the time that I didn't have enough room in my small shed, so I went for the SX2.7L instead. I wasn't at all disappointed in the 2.7. It's a nice little mill and quite powerful for its size and a quiet runner. If I was buying it now though I would probably go for the SX3 and find a way to shoehorn it in somehow. That said, I recently decided to look at replacing the 2.7with the SX3 but decided against it because my main reason for doing so would have been spindle nose to table difference, but on looking into it I found that the difference wasn't big enough to justify the cost. For now, at least.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal