Author Topic: Drill or mill?  (Read 3857 times)

Offline Paulc

Drill or mill?
« on: November 02, 2019, 08:22:28 PM »
Have a .75 aluminum round, .5 inch long and it needs a .5 inch hole thru.
Better to drill or mill?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Drill or mill?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
For a really round hole, I would chuck it in the lathe, drill a starter hole through it, then take it out to size with a boring bar, all on the lathe. Nice round centered hole.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »
Same here

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 09:01:43 PM »
Use the lathe definitely.  If you have a1/2 inch ream, drill undersize, then ream.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Paulc

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 04:29:09 PM »
After fooling with a Chinese boring bar set for half an hour and getting crappy results, I finished it with a 1/2 in drill in the lathe tail stock and the results were very good.
 Did a second one by progressively drilling a larger hole after starting with a center drill and that went smoothly as well.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
There are lots of articles on making a decent boring bar for HSS tools and carbide as well.     Learn to do it, and it's a tool you'll be glad you have

Crueby is quite right.....for the best hole, drill undersize, then bore to .005" under  (0.050 mm under) and then run a reamer through slow and steady.   Dead on size, and dead on position, but the the order is critical

A drill makes a hole...it's neither round  or straight....and it's got an approximate size....though often bigger than the nominal drill size.

The boring bar makes the hole round, and straight, and concentric to the lathe spindle....

Now that the hole is round, straight and concentric, your reamer will follow the good hole and give you a hole that is also to size.

If you're careful, you can bring the hole to size with the boring bar, easy peasy.

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 06:15:45 PM »
I have also tried the cheapo boring bar sets, with (badly) welded on carbide tips. Pretty worthless tools, at least as they come, usually the cutting edges are dull, at bad angles, geometry of them is badly done, and the shanks are too flexible. I switched to better solid piece carbide bars and/or ones that take a small-radius insert, and got much better results. The shorter the bar is extended out of the holder the better, and the height/angle makes a difference.

Offline Paulc

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
OMG! More tooling to buy!!
Do those Chinese boring bars work any better in a mill boring head?

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »
They generally have all the wrong angles on the cutting edges....and that makes them rub alot...they need to be reground....Let me see what I have in my article bin....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 07:03:18 PM »
With the brazed tip boring bars a lot depends on which one from the set you use. If you don't know what you are doing it's easy to pick up a short stubby one thinking it will be more rigid and find it does not work in a 1/2" hole. Reason being it's probably ground for a 2" dia hole so clearance angles will suit that and not a small 1/2" hole.

I've used ones that cut straight out the pack and also modified ones for particular uses.

Same thing with insert boring bars, both lathe and boring head ones, they all have a minimum hole size and will rub if you ttry and poke them up a hole that is too small.

Very cheap far eastern is a bit of a lottery but reasonably priced far eastern does the job in the right hands.

Offline Paulc

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »
The grind on this set of six appears to be the same for all lengths, but the length of the carbide piece seems to increase as the bar itself gets longer.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »
have you got a link or photo of them?

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 07:29:27 PM »
Here are a couple of references for DIY boring bars that take round HSS or Carbide blanks that you then grind.

a 90 degree and a 45 degree set is good as it lets you bore to the bottom of a blind hole

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiJb7Xp2rk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiJb7Xp2rk</a>

I'm sure I can find a set of drawings for one, but if you're not looking to make a set of boring bars....here's a double end set for cheap money

https://www.busybeetools.com/products/boring-bar-set-4pc-1-4in-5-16in-3-8in-1-2in.html

My set is below...down to 3/16"

Damned ijjit!

Offline Paulc

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »
have you got a link or photo of them?

Will try to get some photos later today.

Offline Paulc

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 03:43:27 AM »
Here's the best i could get of the boring bars. The varying lengths raise havoc with the auto focus.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal