Author Topic: Stuart Boiler Feed Pump  (Read 62110 times)

Offline K.B.C

Re: Stuart Boiler Feed Pump
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
I think that my pics are too big so I will post the others individually until I have the time to explore what I am doing wrong.
George.

3" high steam pump.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 04:10:01 PM by K.B.C »
Your never too old to learn.

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
The sight is only allowing 1- pic at a time  but you have them now, perhaps I could have suggestions on how to resize my pics.
I use  a MAC and it will not recognize Photo Bucket.

I like the pumps, George!

George, if you have the photos in iPhoto, you can select the photos you want to export, then choose Export on the File menu, and in the "File Export" tab choose to export "Medium" quality JPEGs, size "Large". That should give you images of about the right size.

Otherwise you can open the individual image files in Preview, choose Tools -> Adjust Size, and choose to "fit into 1024x768" (if you want to preserve the original, be sure to "Save As" not "Save" otherwise you'll overwrite it).

Simon

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2013, 10:38:48 PM »
Glad you sorted it George!.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2013, 11:14:10 PM »
Oh oh - you are getting off the original topic a little (with the how to post pictures thing)
George, I have asked a moderator to merge your posts into one (as far as it makes sense)

So please let me continue my report:

I forgot about the front cylinder cover which has been finished before the valve chest:

You may remember that I had a problem when I was machining the front cylinder cover plate. I took a disc of aluminium into the 3jaw. Then I first face turned it and then made little grooves every 5mm (radial). Finally, I bored the center so the stub of the front cylinder cover could be pushed in with a tight fit.
Then I used some instant adhesive to secure the cover to that disc.
It worked really well, with the whole surface supported there wasnt any chattering.
After finishing that surface, I had to drill the hole for the stub on the valve chest. To get the hole at exactly the right position, I clamped the cylinder on the milling machine with an expanding mandrel. Then I attached the valve chest and aligned the spinlde with that stub by moving the crosstable to the right position.
Afterwards, I removed the valve chest and fixed the front cover to the cylinder.
The bore is exactly at the right place. All the same, I took a drill which is 0.2mm greater in diameter than the stub to allow a little difference in position (probably caused by the liquid seal I want to use to assemble it)

Thats it for now, I'll continue soon ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:49:31 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2013, 11:34:07 PM »
Yes Florian you are quite correct and I apologize for high jacking your thread it was not intentional and the moderator can delete them from your thread.
Please continue with your post.
May I ask why the threaded spigot of the auxiliary valve that you have just explained how you marked the hole for it in the front plate looks as though it has been burned ?

George.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:37:34 PM by K.B.C »

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:05 AM »
Yes Florian please proceed. That's a cool looking pump!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 09:36:15 AM »

May I ask why the threaded spigot of the auxiliary valve that you have just explained how you marked the hole for it in the front plate looks as though it has been burned ?

Because I had to solder a plug into a wrong positioned center hole   :embarassed:
I could have left it because it would have been under the whasher finally but that would have kind of annoyed me. (Just do know that it is not as it should be)

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »
Gentlemen

I have just spotted a set of stuart boiler feed pump from the old times where the whole casting was made from bronze:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUART-STEAM-BOILER-FEED-PUMP-CASTING-SET-/271326791647?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item3f2c5647df

One of you may be interested in it..?

Cheers Florian

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2013, 04:23:36 PM »
Damn, I was watching that already  >:D

Simon

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »

Simon

Simon,
Way back in time Stuart made the steam pump with the frame and the water pump all in one from Gunmetal.

I was told that they stopped  producing  it this way as there was so many complaints that it was so difficult to hold and machine the water passages on the pump and to hold the whole caboodle for machining and get the pump ram in line..

I do know it's difficult to hold so it may well be that you wait for the modern one as per Florians.
I hope that this is of help to you.

George.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:46 PM »

Simon

whooops. Sorry about that  :embarassed:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
I might know a man  :embarassed: who can point us in the direct of a couple more  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »
I guess I've had you waiting long enough... ;) :

Next, I had to drill the steam ports for the shuttle valve. They are angled in two directions and so I had to use the vise in vise technique to get the right angle. Works quite well!
Then I machined the cover for the backside of the cylinder, already finished on the picture.
Sadly, there are some blowholes in this casting as well. But I simply ignored it because I didn't want to order a spare part and the holes are not very big.

Thats it for tonight - I'll continue soon (hopefully sooner than this time...  ;D )
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:55:03 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:38 AM »
Looking good Florian

Steve

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »
Florian,
Over the past 20 years I think that I have made and refurbished about 10-off these pumps.
One of the things I always found difficult to get correct was drilling the hole in the front cover to take the screwed spiggot of the steam chest.
It never occurred to me to use the method that you describe in your No 63 post, the only difference was that I used my center finder to find the center of the auxiliary valve hole, locked the "X" and "Y" tables,  removed the steam chest and  drilled the hole .015 O/Size and it's a perfect fit, that is after I had to fill in the oversize hole that I made before reading your post.
So thank you for the method, just lets you see that your posts are appreciated and that you are never to old to learn.

George.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal