Author Topic: Stuart Boiler Feed Pump  (Read 62133 times)

fcheslop

Re: Stuart Boiler Feed Pump
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
Hi, nice save on the casting :ThumbsUp:
kind regards
frazer

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 09:39:56 PM »
... will you be using this with a boiler at some point?

Yes, that is the Idea!
I have a scotch boiler that is just the right size for this pump.

Florian

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 08:10:15 PM »
Some progress here (from the weekend)...:

I continued with the steam cylinder cover towards the pump base. I first clamped it on stub and then premachined the spigot which will center the cylinder so I could just clamp it with a collet. (it has a greater diameter yet than the cylinder bore will be)
Then I rough turned the Part; had some problems with chatter marks on the square end of the cover (It is really thin there and with the interrupted cut, it starts to chatter quite fast)
Therefore, I gound me a HSS tool with a very sharp and thin tip (to get a very soft cut). But the surface still is not work as good as I want it. I guess I will have to finish it with a full surface support on the backside. You can see that also this part has some bubbles; I guess they had a bad day when castint those gunmetal parts... (The original cylinder hat a very big bubble, but It was replaced by the shop where I bought the set of castings)

The Next step was to make the piston bore and the thread for the packing gland. I also machined the threads with the lathe, so the threads and the bore for the piston shaft are running absolutely true to the Outside as well as to the spigot. The stub fits really nice into the pump base, It has to be pushed in with a very small amount of force and therefore is absolutely in Line with the Pump on the other end.
I can already imagine what it is going to look like!

Greetings from Switzerland
Florian
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:25:59 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
Good choice cutting the internal thread on the lathe :ThumbsUp: I would have cheated and got out a tap. No doubt later wondered why things didn't line up.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »
Looking good Florian!   That is what gets people I'm told on that pump...the concentricity, and the spool valve.

Sounds like you got one licked!    You'll get the other....Great Job!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Peter Guy

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:34 PM »
Hello Florian

I have been looking at the Stuart Steam Boiler Pump which have made (I assume it is now finished) very well done.
Although it does not appear difficult to build it is not an easy unit to build and lot of mistakes can be made.
I have built a couple in the past and have one in workshop at the moment, I did not build it and it needs some work on
it to get it run well and slowly as well as fast which they mostly only do!
As I have said your machining is very good, the best of luck with your engineering career (I did my training here in the UK over forty five years ago)

regards
Peter

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
I assume it is now finished

No, it is not. I had to concentrate on my studies since my last post. Therefore the pump is waiting to be taken care of.

BUT: I have graduated and got my bachelor of science in mechanical engineering  :whoohoo:
Furthermore, my milling machine ist getting ready to be used (acually can already be used but i will have to change the electrical part to a final solution.)

With other words, the project shall be continued soon! (Is almost on top of my to-do List, right after finishing the refurbishment of my vertex rotary table)

Cheers Florian

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 09:05:17 PM »

No, it is not. I had to concentrate on my studies since my last post. Therefore the pump is waiting to be taken care of.

BUT: I have graduated and got my bachelor of science in mechanical engineering  :whoohoo:
Furthermore, my milling machine ist getting ready to be used (acually can already be used but i will have to change the electrical part to a final solution.)

With other words, the project shall be continued soon! (Is almost on top of my to-do List, right after finishing the refurbishment of my vertex rotary table)

Cheers Florian

Congrats Florian!.....That is definitly something to be proud of!....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
Well done Florian  :ThumbsUp:!

Whats next? A Masters? or have you entered the big wide world of work  :) :( ;D?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
Hey Jo

No, I am going to work. (am just looking for a job). Maybe I'll start with a masters later but not right now.

Cheers Florian

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »
Yeah nicely done, screwcutting is something I should practice. Not much excuse with the gearbox  on the harrison there are many threads it can do just switching levers around.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »

Cheers Florian

Congratulations!!!  You have passed a big milestone and with your solid thinking and methodical approach, you will surely find a satisfying job and go on from there.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Florian Eberhard

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
Gentlemen, after quite a while of not taking care of the pump, I would like to announce to you, that  i am now continuing with the build.  ;D ;)

Well enough talked, here's some pictures:

The cylinder is (by chance or with intent???) designed, so it can be hold with a 3 jaw chuck and getting the cylinder bore at exactly the middle of the cylinder. First, I faced the cylinder and center drilled it. After this, I drilled with a 12mm drill to get close to the 14mm bore that I am intending to reach.
And finally, I bored the cylinder to 14 mm. After boring out the cylinder,I finished the cylinder bore by lapping (using an expanding mandrel and lapping compound). Though I had to find out that copper is not a good Idea to use on a copper based alloy. Some of the rubbed off material caused little grooves in the bore wall after getting stuck on the copper mandrel. So I afterwards had to repeat the lapping with an aluminum mandrel (which turned out like I expected).

I am going to build the pump with some modifications to the Stuart Version. To get the modifications visible before doing it to the castings, I modeled the Steam cylinder side of the pump in my cad system.
The most remarkable difference will be that I am going to use d slide valves instead of the piston valves.
The Idea behind is to get it as tight as possible and therefore to have the smallest possible amount of leakage steam. It would also be easier  to revise the valves if they are worn.

So much for now - more to come later ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:29:27 PM by Florian Eberhard »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 09:21:48 PM »
Nice to see the update on this fine project Florian, and I would like to add my congratulations also for completing your ME degree.  Best wishes in your search for a job also.

Bill

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 09:39:21 PM »
Yes, nice job on the pump and the degree Florian!

Best wishes
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal