Author Topic: Getting shop together  (Read 9222 times)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
Getting shop together
« on: October 26, 2019, 10:42:52 PM »
Recently work has been very busy, so I have not had a lot of time to really get a shop in order and get started. but an offer popped up that I couldn't refuse.

Bridgeport mill, 2 lathes, 13 34 and a 11 20 both with tapering attachments, 3 chucks, 2 vises and some other odds and ends. for $1600
all in pieces so I will have a little work to clean them up and re assemble them.

I still have to clean out the garage to make room for them
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:20:57 AM by Shiroth »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Getting shop together
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 10:50:38 PM »
That should keep you busy a while, but if they end up being in good shape a nice score for you!!!

Bill

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 10:54:29 PM »
The Bridgeport looks like it was rebuilt, but not put back together. the lathes seems to be in good shape also, a little surface rust but it should all clean up nice.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 10:18:26 PM »
I have been spending quite a bit of time in the garage cleaning, organizing and sorting for the last week. Just to make enough room to start the reassembling process of the lathes and mill.

My father cleaned out his storage also, so I have acquired more toys, a small scroll saw, small drill press, larger drill press and a band saw.

In my cleaning frenzy I have completed most of my tool sets that have been missing bits here and there, all except my socket set, but I have a pretty good idea where most of the remaining bits are.

Furnace is now operational (in time for winter)

looking to start assembly on sunday!

Online Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 01:35:58 AM »
I just noticed this thread.  Nice score.  I can tell just from the 13-34 markings and headstock that they are Standard Modern lathes.  Nice machines - I have one myself.  I don't have the taper attachments :(

You should be more than happy for the price you paid - that was a steal!

Mike

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2019, 04:13:35 AM »
I just noticed this thread.  Nice score.  I can tell just from the 13-34 markings and headstock that they are Standard Modern lathes.  Nice machines - I have one myself.  I don't have the taper attachments :(

You should be more than happy for the price you paid - that was a steal!

Mike

Yes, they are Standard Modern lathes, both are metric as well. I will have to make some new gears for them so I will have the option for both metric or standard =)

unfortunately I did not get any steady rests with them, but they are easy enough to make

I did have intentions of selling the smaller one when I bought it, but I am having second thoughts about selling it now

The lot of them came up along with other complete machines, somewhere around 17 lathes and 12 milling machines, along with 2 pantograph machines that my old man got for free.
there was only 3 lathes and 1 milling machine in pieces, and for the price, I couldn't turn it down =)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 03:47:41 AM »
Small update.

Got both lathes upwards of 90% assembled. discovered that a few parts may have been left behind, but enough to fully complete 1 of them. missing 3 gears and a few minor other things.

The Bridgeport is going together nicely, with a few snags of course, the bolts holding the tilt gear on were sheered off, requiring minor surgery, 2 handles are missing and I have to do a motor swap as I don't have 575 in the garage.

Offline awake

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
Definitely a steal - I'm jealous! And having to assemble it all just means you will know the machines inside and out.

You may already be aware of H&W Machine Repair, but if not - these folks are a superb resource for anything related to Bridgeports. They will do a repair for you, of course, but they also can supply you with pretty much any part you need. And best of all, they seem perfectly happy to chat over the phone to help you with any problems you may encounter. After buying from them and consulting with them in the course of rebuilding my vari-speed BP a couple of years ago, I cannot say enough good things about them.

Here's the link - not obvious from their name: https://www.machinerypartsdepot.com

No affiliation other than a highly satisfied customer!
Andy

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
Definitely a steal - I'm jealous! And having to assemble it all just means you will know the machines inside and out.

You may already be aware of H&W Machine Repair, but if not - these folks are a superb resource for anything related to Bridgeports. They will do a repair for you, of course, but they also can supply you with pretty much any part you need. And best of all, they seem perfectly happy to chat over the phone to help you with any problems you may encounter. After buying from them and consulting with them in the course of rebuilding my vari-speed BP a couple of years ago, I cannot say enough good things about them.

Here's the link - not obvious from their name: https://www.machinerypartsdepot.com

No affiliation other than a highly satisfied customer!

I did not know of H&W Machine Repair, but I will save the link. =) Thanks for the info

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
That looks to be a good workshop when they are all assembled   :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 07:59:49 PM »
That looks to be a good workshop when they are all assembled   :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:

Hopefully =)
Maybe one day wife's parents might sell or move the old Pontiac from the other half of the garage, then it will be twice as big, but I don't expect that to happen.
If it does happen, I would like to get an 8 foot brake (messing about purposes and work related activities)

Online Mike R

• Ottawa, ON
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 02:28:09 AM »
BTW - I forgot but I have scans of the 13-34 operators manual and drawings if you need them...  At one time you could still get them from the manufactures web site but I haven't checked lately.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 02:37:43 AM »
BTW - I forgot but I have scans of the 13-34 operators manual and drawings if you need them...  At one time you could still get them from the manufactures web site but I haven't checked lately.

That would be great! Thanks :)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 01:39:05 AM »
Unexpected delays. Unfortunately, both motors I got with the lathes do not fit.

Red one has a mounting bracket that is too small- requiring new holes drilled or a new plate to be made for it.
The green one has a mount that does fit, however the box on the side of it rests on the pan with no room for any adjustments for the motor.

Looks like I will have to find at least one new motor.

Bright side is I did find 2 of the parts that I was missing, they were in the cabinet  :facepalm2:
And I impulsively bought a 6" rotary table with tailstock and index plates (cyber Monday at Busybeetools)

Now all I need is everything else! (probably double as I tend to temporarily misplace things)

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 11:56:16 AM »
Now all I need is everything else! (probably double as I tend to temporarily misplace things)

Arghh - I know that one all too well  :facepalm:
Like when doing a complete clean up off the workshop after a total repair on a motorcycle - I usually find the "missing parts" I had to buy new off, in order to assemble the bike .... and I all ways put the parts in small labeled bags, together in a box off all parts for that section - but still  :facepalm2:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal