Author Topic: Getting shop together  (Read 9223 times)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
Re: Getting shop together
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2019, 02:59:33 AM »
Some small progress and upgrades from nothing to something.

I got a new motor for the mill, got it all re assembled only to find out that some interior stuff is not correctly functioning.

I have to wind my plunger spring a fair bit more, the automatic for it is also not working to its potential, I still have some handles and knobs to buy, along with new XY Nuts. aside from that, it is usable and I tested it on an aluminum ingot I poured awhile back. it still needs to be adjusted to level it all out.

Took apart my vise I got with the mill, cleaned and lubed it. (it was a fair bit rusty)

Got myself a 6" rotary table from busy bee on a sale for $350 ($400) after tax.. but it came with a tail stock and some indexing plates =)

Wifey decided to get me a quick change tool post for the lathe and a shop vac for Christmas.

Permanently "Borrowed" a few bits and collets from my old mans collection. (he brought over a few extras that he doesn't use)

Slowly but surely, its coming along.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 04:07:39 AM »
Steady progress, that's the ticket.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 04:51:12 AM »
Steady progress, that's the ticket.  :ThumbsUp:

Yup =)

Just got the smaller lathe all wired up and running. It runs fairly quiet also.
Tomorrows project is to finish wiring up the mill. Maybe even make the motor mount and possibly wire up the larger lathe.  :zap:
I even pulled in a small tool box I had in the shed for "extra" sets of tools that I will use for my mill and lathe tooling.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 10:55:02 PM »

The lot of them came up along with other complete machines, somewhere around 17 lathes and 12 milling machines, along with 2 pantograph machines that my old man got for free.

sounds like Al's stuff.....he just couldn't stop dragging lathes home lol.  Pot and kettle and all -  I guess do the same, but mine are all different....he had like 10 SM's lol

RIP Al

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 11:59:07 PM »

The lot of them came up along with other complete machines, somewhere around 17 lathes and 12 milling machines, along with 2 pantograph machines that my old man got for free.

sounds like Al's stuff.....he just couldn't stop dragging lathes home lol.  Pot and kettle and all -  I guess do the same, but mine are all different....he had like 10 SM's lol

RIP Al

Pretty good possibility it was Al's.
Though I did not know him, RIP Al

I have my own collection of scrap lawn tractors, small engines and assorted other motorized toys.
Got to have something you enjoy doing / playing with.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 11:37:01 PM »
Decided to dismantle the Mill head and get it all working properly. it make quite a bit of noise when running. so might as well do it now before anything happens.

The bearings had some grease that had hardened and some things needed fixing.
The excitement to play with it makes it very hard to take my time and do it right. but it needs to be done.

Ended up making myself a little table cover for the mill after work. original plan was just to make it flat but I felt that adding the lip on the sides would help and make it look and function better. I have had a request for me to make 2 more for my dads mills.

Might have to make another one but with the lip on all sides.

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »
Been awhile since I have Snooped around on here much. Work and kids don't leave a lot of time to really play much, and when i do get to play it is spent trying to get things together for my own personal business.

I have gotten much more room in the shop a few months ago, as the Pontiac got sold. a few more toys have been added to the ever growing collection, consisting of a sheet metal slitter, an 8 foot brake, home built 4 foot brake, dewalt cordless bandsaw (Wish I got long ago), and a nice generator that i got from princess auto scratch and dent.

also built 2 4x8 work tables that can stack together to save a bit of space.

One of these days I will get around to building something, as of right now I feel that I do not have all the tooling I need. as of right now all I really have are endmills.  :'(

onto the pictures!!

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2023, 11:25:19 PM »
Its been a fair bit of time since Iv lurked around the forum much.

Mostly I have just been doing other projects, but finally got started on a few Garage / Shop related projects.

The first major project included insulating the garage and removing the old insulation that was falling out all over the place, it was a terribly hot and itchy process. But it got done and was free since the semi local firehall was under renovations and I sniped a trailer load of insulation.

Second shop project started late fall and was a replacement for the old furnace. $90 in diesel a week was becoming excessively expensive so I opted to replace it with a natural gas furnace. The Furnace got installed last week as priority was to get the gas line done before the ground froze.

New belt on the drill press and put it on a stand finally. I even got to use it for the first time on the furnace mounts!

I have 4 new LED lights I got off marketplace awhile back, hopefully to be installed after I put up the vapor barrier and some plywood.

The busted up parts of the floor are on the list of to do's as well.
Far too many items have found their way into the shop over the last year, much needed sorting and organizing is required.

Looking to have the mill motor rewound for 230v from 575v and return it to its rightful place atop its throne and remove the micky mouse impersonator.

I even managed to get me a press from princess auto scratch and dent for $75

Looking back at the first few pictures of this post... so much has changed.. you can see the floor in most spots now!

***EDIT***

Forgot the pictures!!

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2023, 12:36:54 AM »
Your shop is looking good!
It feels great to be getting the shop in shape, doesn't it?   ;D

Kim

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2023, 01:01:18 AM »
Your shop is looking good!
It feels great to be getting the shop in shape, doesn't it?   ;D

Kim

It does feel like a bit of a weight is lifted.
The flash rust on everything from the temperature changing was a huge pain in the butt.
Now to see how much it costs to keep it heated all winter.

With the old oil furnace parts and the blower motor extracted, I can build a few new toys with it.
Possibly a new diesel powered foundry and some sort of grinder for the crank and cams.

I would like to fix the leaks in my air compressor and built it a small addition on the back of the shop to clear up even more room.
Planned for later this year..

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2023, 05:04:06 AM »
Wow you managed to acquire a lot of stuff for $1600 USD

Your shop is looking great, I really need to insulate my shed as it's only comfortable during Spring and Autumn.

What is this 4 cylinder casting I spy? :)
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2023, 10:13:11 PM »
Wow you managed to acquire a lot of stuff for $1600 USD

Your shop is looking great, I really need to insulate my shed as it's only comfortable during Spring and Autumn.

What is this 4 cylinder casting I spy? :)

It was actually $1600 CDN =) and ended up selling the small lathe awhile ago for $2000 which I am regretting already.

The inline 4 is my most successful casting so far, so it ended up being my long term learning project.
https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,10404.0.html

Offline Shiroth

• Sutton, Ontario Canada
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 12:14:48 AM »
So I ended up having the mill motor rewound and had to buy a phase inverter to get them hamsters moving.
It was a bit costly, but overall I am happy to get it done! runs nicer and quieter and even eliminated the startup shakes!

I cleaned up the lathe area a bit and gave myself a shelf and built somewhat of a chip guard to keep the chips from going behind the lathe..

Newest project was building some garden boxes for this year with some leftovers from a job

The before picture

After picture installed with new switch

4 Boxes Stacked to save myself some space.

Offline Overbuilt and Overkill

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2023, 03:14:31 AM »
Maybe too late now, but I'll add for anyone with a Bridgeport or even a clone, H&W have an extremely informative YouTube channel here. https://www.youtube.com/@hwmachinerepairandrebuildi674 Almost any repair, disassembly / re-assembly would be covered on there YT channel.

Offline 55fairlane

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2023, 10:30:43 PM »
Maybe too late now, but I'll add for anyone with a Bridgeport or even a clone, H&W have an extremely informative YouTube channel here. https://www.youtube.com/@hwmachinerepairandrebuildi674 Almost any repair, disassembly / re-assembly would be covered on there YT channel.

For what it matters H&W is just down the street from the shop....Berry is a super great guy & very knowledgeable.

I might have spent some time in that shop....might.....lol
Imagination is much more important than knowledge

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal