Author Topic: Switching to HTTPS  (Read 5383 times)

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
Switching to HTTPS
« on: October 23, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
If you're not that technical.... look away now.

Right, now I have your attention :) This weekend, I'll re-configure the forum to use HTTPS instead of HTTP. Most likely, nothing whatsoever will change... except you'll get the little padlock icon in the corner by the URL, indicating your connection to the server is encrypted.

HTTPS is already activated for the server, and we have a self-renewing certificate installed.... but I need to do a bit of reconfiguration to both the SMF software, and the server, to switch it over properly. I don't know exactly what time it'll happen, but it should only take 10-15 minutes. I'll put the forum into maintenance mode when I do it, so you will hopefully get a friendly(ish) message, rather than just a blank screen or an error message...

So, what will you have to do to access this shiny new encrypted forum? Absolutely nothing! Existing bookmarks will continue to work, as will any off-site links you may have posted to content here. The server will automagically re-direct any insecure http:// requests to the new secure https:// equivalent.

If anyone has any concerns or questions, please feel free to PM me. Otherwise, enjoy!
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Switching to HTTPS
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 08:53:24 PM »
Thanks Ade  8)

For the non technical: This upgrade to the server is all about keeping you and our forum secure, and you shouldn't see any difference  :)

Its all about preventing the sort of problems that the attack from the Chinese IP addresses a few months ago could have caused  :zap:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 09:51:37 PM »
Great news Ade. Thanks for looking out for us.

Bill

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 07:57:53 AM »
Just a quick update on this... due to Life Events<sup>tm</sup> interfering... I've not got around to doing this yet. I'll try again this weekend coming, so Forumus Interruptus Delayus.... :)
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 03:08:22 PM »
Good to know in case things go wonky for a bit.

Bill

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 06:05:48 PM »
This change has FINALLY been made fully! The site should now show a padlock next to the address bar, indicating that the site is secure. Note that some posts - e.g. those which have linked pictures - may continue to show a warning triangle, if the pictures are not linked via https.

You may need to close & re-open the site for the padlock to display correctly.

Also, it doesn't appear to have fixed the issue of YouTube links not working.... I will continue to search for a solution to that problem.

As always, please contact myself or one of the other admins, should you experience any unusal problems (e.g. lack of styling, unable to post, security alerts etc.)

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers,
Ade
--

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal