Author Topic: Camden 3" scale Rider-Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine  (Read 15108 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Camden 3" scale Rider-Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
Rats, was hoping to help empty the barrel.

But, Jo will have to refill it when testing, presumably with the same liquid as originally held?  Dibs on being pump testing assistant... :wine1:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
Time to make a start on the liner. Dave very generously came up with a piece of seamless steel tube. The scale on the outside made me think it might be a bit tough and I was right  ::)

Having faced the two ends then got under the scale I machined a short smooth bit to use with the fixed steady. The fixed stead clamped in place carefully had each of the arms adjusted to just rub the metal surface before a smear of anti-rubbing was applied.

The inside of the tube proved to be as scaly as the outside and even once underneath that it is a bit tough. This is actually not a bad thing for a liner. However I noticed down the end of the bore I could hear a hard bit and having bored the liner out to 50.35mm and taken it down to "have a look" and :facepalm2: there was a mark.

Not a problem, Smelly got to work and honed out the liner to 50.4mm and all the marks have vanished and the bore has a very nice cross hatching on it  :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2019, 08:43:28 PM »
Jo, does the liner get press fitted to the cylinder body or glued in?  Asking because it's obviously easier to hone before fitting, but do you worry about distortion due to press fitting?
 :headscratch:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2019, 08:58:52 PM »
The original designer Larry Kazyak in his description said that on his first engine he did a 4 thou press fit but recommended on subsequent engines he used a "good grade of epoxy cement". So my plan is to use JB Weld  ;)

Jo

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2019, 09:58:27 PM »
The original designer Larry Kazyak in his description said that on his first engine he did a 4 thou press fit but recommended on subsequent engines he used a "good grade of epoxy cement". So my plan is to use JB Weld  ;)

Jo

If you use JB weld or a slightly more flexible epoxy, you will need a generous clearance for most of the glued length to get a durable seal. An external fillet alone will not last too long

Just thinking

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2019, 07:09:47 AM »
I'd go with Loctite 648 which is the high temp one, use that on all the hit & miss engine liners, more likely to wick into the joint.

As mike says making the lower hole a bit smaller and stepping the OD of the liner by the same amount allows it to go in most of the way easily.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2019, 08:29:10 AM »

As mike says making the lower hole a bit smaller and stepping the OD of the liner by the same amount allows it to go in most of the way easily.

Jason, I did not say that, that was your idea. I only recommended a generous clearance for the glue line.

Mike

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 09:02:33 AM »
I will be going with Frazer's recommendation of a sliding fit on both joints and Loctite.

Jo

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
The outside of the liner was machined to a sliding fit by holding the liner between two bungs. Then taken to length using the same two bungs  ::) Then back to Big C to machine a taper on the top edge.

Before fitting the liner I remembered I had to drill one last hole in the cylinder for the other water connection. While it says 1/16th pipe I am going with 1/4" 26 TPI brass thread.

Having first thoroughly degreased both surfaces which will form the seal with brake cleaner, I first liberally coated the bottom surfaces with loctite before doing the same to the top and sliding the liner in. The excess has been wiped off and it has now been left to go off above the night storage heater while I look at starting the next bit  :)

Jo
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:20:15 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
That seems a big substitute thread, I would have thought 5/16" or 3/8" at the most if not using BSP but wanting the same look of the OD :headscratch:

1/2" or M12 x 1 is more what I would us ein place of 1/4BSP.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2019, 02:22:40 PM »
Typo  ::)

The piece of Ali has now been mounted up in a collet the other way round and had a 12.7mm hole bored in it for 26mm deep and I have just finished boring a 36.6mm diameter hole 17.8mm deep in it and decided it was coffee time.

I wonder if I have any shortbread to go with my cuppa or possibly a Jaffa cake  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »

I wonder if I have any shortbread to go with my cuppa or possibly a Jaffa cake  :noidea:

Jo

Still got some left ???   ::)   Getting very frugal of late ....  :headscratch:

Just had a ghastly shock .... new car is CHEAPER to insure than the one I have now for some reason   :o . Must be the end of the world ...  :thinking:

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »
Just had a ghastly shock .... new car is CHEAPER to insure than the one I have now for some reason   :o . Must be the end of the world ...  :thinking:

Maybe they don't know it has a Lithium battery on board  :headscratch:

Jo

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2019, 03:28:44 PM »

Maybe they don't know it has a Lithium battery on board  :headscratch:

Jo

They do. They match it to the Reg. Number. It has been registered and they know it's a hybrid   ..... half Scalextric, half SUV....  ;D

Dave
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 03:32:31 PM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal