Author Topic: Camden 3" scale Rider-Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine  (Read 15854 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Camden 3" scale Rider-Ericsson Hot Air Pumping Engine
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2020, 03:50:04 PM »
The firebox door surround was milled out of a piece of steel. First I drilled the four corners then joined the holes and let the centre drop out. The piece could then be put on its edge to have the edges milled to leave only 1mm remaining. The hinge was made by adding a U section left over from when I made my Clayton's frame tubes, which had had two holes drilled in it.

The door was another piece of steel, it had two slots milled in it and two pieces silver soldered in to act as hinge brackets.

Putting the bits together I nearly have a firebox but I can't finish it today as the only filler I have is not high temperature  :Doh: so it will have to wait for the delivery tomorrow.

In the meantime drilled and tapped the holes for the firebox support studs... I had wondered why they were not shown on the drawings  ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2020, 07:43:20 PM »
Still following the build of the scarlet woman and enjoying  :praise2:  :praise2: The picture of the engine lying on her side seriously disorientated me  :wine1:  :wine1:  As you say, there is a lot of work in that firebox door  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2020, 02:43:35 PM »
Thanks Roger, the Lady has started dancing  :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSqVx6tWiV8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSqVx6tWiV8</a>

:thinking: I think she needs a bigger burner

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
Very encouraging first waltz :pinkelephant:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2020, 07:09:05 PM »
Congratulation Jo - you have a runner  :ThumbsUp:

I feel confident that you will work the last bits out too  :cheers:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
I wonder if you could compensate for the small burner by getting the cooling going as it's the difference in temps that counts. Even if you don't want get it wet you could try with your air compressor blowing a low pressure amount of air into the water jacket. Might loosen the lady up a bit. Or just connect to the garden tap with a slow flow of water if the pump is not complete.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2020, 07:58:48 PM »
 :) :) :)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2020, 08:05:33 PM »
:thinking: I think she needs a bigger burner

Just get closer to it. That should make it hot enough.  :naughty:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2020, 12:26:03 AM »
And dance she does!  Very nice!  My friend built one of these years ago ( actually I think his Dad did).  It has run for hours and hours (days and days?) and now it’s as smooth as glass; but he tells it wasn’t so when first built.  I’m sure you will get her waltzing smoothly soon.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #144 on: April 19, 2020, 05:46:29 AM »
That's very exciting, Jo!  Love to watch her run!   :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2020, 06:44:36 AM »
Thanks Guys  :)

I was pleased with that as a first attempt but having turned the heat off as she cooled down she locked up :o , once fully cool she freed up again :ThumbsUp:

Plumbing next

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2020, 07:27:23 AM »
Excellent  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1: I do enjoy watching the complicated linkages move  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »
Pure fun to watch the motion.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2020, 12:32:07 PM »
Good to see it running Jo.
I experienced the same problem when I reassembled my Rider Ericsson after painting. It ran for about half an hour then seized up. The aluminium power piston jammed in the cast iron cylinder. I took the piston out and decided it wasn't getting enough lubrication because of the top ring piston seal. I had used a couple of strands of graphite impregnated yarn which was so effective that it prevented oil reaching the lower and hottest part of the piston.  I gave the piston a gentle polish and the compression was still terrific without the top piston ring seal. I dispensed with the graphite yarn and put the engine back together again.
The engine ran quite well on a low gas flame at the time <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoIFQxadD7U" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoIFQxadD7U</a>
These days it runs on a spirit burner that provides a much smaller candle like flame only 1/2" high. However, it takes about ten minutes to reach operating temperature running at a low speed like yours.

Andy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2020, 03:54:50 PM »
Thanks Andy, when it first seized I was more than a little worried  :paranoia:

Due to the type of water pump fitted to be able to get it to work it must be primed with water. On both the full sized engines and the models this is done by a Priming cup/tap on the side of the pump.

There are a few bits to this assembly that are simple turning tasks. The elbow has to be orientated the right way so the part that goes into the side of the pump was screwed in tight and the top marked on it before taking the two parts over to the mill to mill the 45 degree angle on them. These could then be silver soldered together.

The spindle through the tap was slotted for the handle, fitted through the tap body before drilling through the spindle so that the tap is orientated the right way when operated.

One more bit to make then a bit of plumbing, painting  :facepalm2: and she will be done  :)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal