Author Topic: James Booth Rectilinear Engine - Help  (Read 1402 times)

Offline larsvt

James Booth Rectilinear Engine - Help
« on: April 12, 2020, 10:36:29 AM »
I am currently building a model of the James Booth Rectilinear Engine. The drawing contains cup lubricators, but I think a different type of oiler would be nicer.
So, I made the oilers that can be seen in the figure below.
I don't know which oilers are more suitable for the time (circa 1843). I believe that the oil cups are  more suitable for the teme, but I would appreciate opinions.
I am also deciding which color is most suitable for painting.

Best Regards
Luis
Luis

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: James Booth Rectilinear Engine - Help
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:09:37 AM »
Hi Luis,

The original oilers would probably look something like the photo attached, which is on a model Rectilinear engine  ;)

But they may not be as practical as your drip oiler. I seem to recall Anthony is fond of using little cup oilers as they are easy to fill and quick to make.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »
The cylinder may well have had a fat pot which would melt as the engine warmed up and then the valve could be opened to let the mow liquid lubricant in to do its work. Bearings would have been cups and most likely fitted with wicks to control the flow rate

Offline larsvt

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
Thanks for the replies to my post :ThumbsUp:. In fact, the oilers I made, seemed too modern for the model's period. I think I'll save them for another project. The design of the engine does have cup oilers, but they seemed too simple. I will use cup oilers, but I will look for a slightly more elaborate shape. In the drawing, the cylinder has one identical to the one sent by Jo, which I intend to do.

Luis
Luis

Offline larsvt

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 06:42:56 PM »
I just completed the cylinder oil cup. I followed the drawing provided very closely. It has some very small pieces, which makes the silver soldering delicate, but everything went well.
I also send a picture of the new bearing oil cups.
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 06:46:36 PM by larsvt »
Luis

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal