Author Topic: Infernal Combustion for "Rushforth"  (Read 6091 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: Infernal Combustion for "Rushforth"
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 04:25:54 PM »
Trying to adhere to the AYBC code where it's possible.....It just makes sense.....The problem is the really small engines....like the !GM10....They don't make 5 gallon AYBC approved tanks...they're all 12 gallons and over.....I don't need nor have the room for that big a tank....So I'm fitting this generator tank under a port side seat with a vent over the side....

At 1 liter and hour at full throttle....I don't need a big tank...it's not a big wide beam sail boat....full throttle will be moving right along!!!   10 MPH maybe more.   She only needs 1 HP to get to hull speed so....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »
That sounds like she hardly will be loaded more than a bit above idle, so to speak  :thinking:
Since a diesel usually likes to work and it won't be do much of that, I hope that there is a thermostat in the cooling system, so she at least can reach a decent temperature .... she probably do not need more than the Ø1" x 3' condensation tube on the outside of the hull, I saw on some steamlaunces in Scotland in 2012.

Oh and I'll admit that did absolutely not appear on my "radar", that she would need a much smaller tank than what is available in the business, before you mentioned it ....

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »
That sounds like she hardly will be loaded more than a bit above idle, so to speak  :thinking:
Since a diesel usually likes to work and it won't be do much of that, I hope that there is a thermostat in the cooling system, so she at least can reach a decent temperature .... she probably do not need more than the Ø1" x 3' condensation tube on the outside of the hull, I saw on some steamlaunces in Scotland in 2012.

Oh and I'll admit that did absolutely not appear on my "radar", that she would need a much smaller tank than what is available in the business, before you mentioned it ....

Yup   The Yanmar has a thermostat.   and I've sized the prop pitch up slightly from recommendations...due to the hull form    14 x 12 at about 1100 maximum
Yanmar recommends a few minutes at full throttle every hour...to keep the carbon build up down

My Launch engine was turning a 16x18 at 550 rpm....@165 psi saturated.     No Problem...It actually puts out a lot more torque than the Yanmar.  It needed to be repitched to 16x20....It could have pushed it easy.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 01:05:51 AM »
Fuel Bung Complete!

Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 08:36:37 PM »
Alright! Some progress on the boat design. I've laid in everything I can for the moment. I'll need to actually measure whats there for some of it. Top down showing the engine installation, fuel tank, exhaust and muffler all in one frame bay 25" long. Nice and compact. The electrical panel will be in the after cockpit on the port side either under the bench on on the vertical face. I'll have the house and engine battery in the forward cockpit either side to move some weight forward. The boat will be about 250 pounds lighter than with the steam plant, so I'll need to keep that in mind. Ahead of the forward cockpit will be a luggage and general storage area in the fore peak where the water tank is now...which is coming out. Engine panel will be below the steering station which is on the starboard side ...though I may put it next to the electrical panel....still noodling on that one. We progress
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
And some more....
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2019, 12:00:10 AM »
Hi Dave,

You have done some fantastic 3D modelling of the new "Rushforth" interior layout. It's a clever way of moving things around and working out the best place for all the big bits and pieces. When it comes to finalising the position of all the control knobs and gauges I have sometimes found it better to sit quietly an the thwarts and contemplate.  "This is exactly where I want the ***** to be and the ***** would be better in this position.

Are you planning to put a grating over the fuel tank to act as a walkway? Some day one of your passengers may inadvertently put a foot in the wrong place. Just thinking!!

MIke
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2019, 12:34:51 AM »
Theres a hinged door over the tank.   Im trying to make working on this easy....first color photo above shows the door in place.
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2019, 12:36:46 PM »
Another photo.....for clarification

Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
Looks good  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
Looks good  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Mike

Looking for an off the shelf shaft coupling....They should exist....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
Dave,

A jaw coupling with a rubber cush insert would be a good choice. Plenty on e-bay or Amazon

Mike

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2019, 01:38:58 PM »
Dave,

A jaw coupling with a rubber cush insert would be a good choice. Plenty on e-bay or Amazon

Mike

Nope...needs to be fixed.   I have a intermediate drive shaft with 2 universal joints.  the thrust bearing is way aft just ahead of the stuffing box.    So the image is correct.   There's a U joint coupled to the transmission flange.     Now I just obtained a Christmas Present from the Prop Shop of a Yanmar to 1" solid coupling    It will need to be "fit and faced" and I'll put a 1" stub shaft in it to do that...then it's just coupling the whole arrangement together and fit another drive shaft cut to the correct length.
Damned ijjit!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
Great project Dave, that seems to be going well so far.  :ThumbsUp:

I'd be interested in the measurements of your boat. Did you build her? Also some pictures from back in the steam days.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
Great project Dave, that seems to be going well so far.  :ThumbsUp:

I'd be interested in the measurements of your boat. Did you build her? Also some pictures from back in the steam days.

Jim

25 foot long, 5' beam

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiFuMqA9bfmAhUhhuAKHdEsCNgQFjAAegQIAhAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.neme-s.org%2FThe%2520Construction%2520of%2520the%2520Steamlaunch.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3OKcZQSuExThmCMevhHhCJ

That link will get you to a presentation I did for the NEMES group.

Dave
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 03:02:18 PM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal