Author Topic: Infernal Combustion for "Rushforth"  (Read 6087 times)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Infernal Combustion for "Rushforth"
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:45:47 PM »
Gettin on with a Yanmar install on the boat.   Why!!!....well  there are reasons

My wonderful wife would like to do some weekend destination cruises....some lakes and canals.   You know   Bed and Breakfast to bed and breakfast kinda stuff.....it's out there. 
Most marina's wont let me tie up with a fire going in the boiler.....The gasoline boat guys get really nervous round us steam folk ........strike one.   
300 pounds of dry firewood cut to fit the firebox  per day.....well the logistics of that are at best a PITA!....what do I do....drive up the week before and deliver it to places I'm staying?   Strike two.
Maintenance is a bear....full tear down in the fall and rebuild of the plant in the spring with hydro ect...to say nothing of finding and maintaining a fire wood stack....  the old leg isn't what  it used to be that's for sure   Strike 3

It's time for US.....not just me.     
So  that said.   I purchased a used but very low hour Yanmar 1GM10 and a prop to match, and I've drawn up a plan for the cockpit and new canopy.
I'll have at least 2 more feet of cockpit space than I did before, and the canopy will close the boat up a bit on a wet or cold day 
8 HP at 1300 rpm should do nicely as far as pushing the old girl along.    1 HP will get her to hull speed...so plenty of power
Yanmar parts are everywhere there are boats....as is Diesel fuel.
Getting her ready in the fall and spring will be a snap....comparatively.
5 gal steel fuel tank under one of the benches, or about 9 hours of range.
Water tank in the bow, for use on salt water, is coming out and will become storage for luggage ect
Full electrical System ....something the boat doesn't currently have.
I got a used 13.5 x 12 3 blade prop as well....should be about right...though the steam prop is 16 x 18.....at 550 rpm.....and 2 HP...but much bigger horses.

I'm excited!.....We're looking at Lake Winnipesaukee, and maybe the Erie canal..   10 knots might be available as it's a very fine hull.......I've never put that much power into the boat before

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
Re: Infernal Combustion for "Rushforth"
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 02:55:42 PM »
And I've found a new Caretaker for the Simplicity....So that's gone, and has funded the project
The picture below is of her in her new home in Wisconsin.

Dave

Damned ijjit!

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
Ha Dave,

That really sounds exciting. If I were nearer, I would offer to give you a hand with the new installation. But as it is I will wait to book our plane tickets until you have done all the 'donkey' work.

Wishing you strength

Mike :DrinkPint:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »
Thanks Mike!   That would be fun for sure!

I've gotten a start on the engine bearer
Damned ijjit!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 07:39:27 PM »
Dave,
Glad to see the boat project moving ahead. I'm sure you and your wife will enjoy it when you're done. The Simplicity has a new home in Wisconsin, that is my neck of the woods.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
Best of luck with the installation Dave - I hope it goes smoothly  :cheers:

You do not mention it, but one of the absolutely most important parts of a diesel installation (especially in a boat) is the fuel filters - something that wasn't needed in the old configuration - as it is absolutely no fun being out to sea (lake, river) and having a dead engine, because of dirt or especially water in the fuel system  :cussing:  So how you make the tank + fuel lines + water seperator filter etc. is extremely important .... Just saying (and I might be telling GrandMa how to suck eggs here) ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2019, 10:15:27 PM »
I totally agree with Per,  the best set up is two filters in parallel so the flow can be switched to one whilst the other is changed / cleaned.  Terry

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 11:31:57 PM »
Best of luck with the installation Dave - I hope it goes smoothly  :cheers:

You do not mention it, but one of the absolutely most important parts of a diesel installation (especially in a boat) is the fuel filters - something that wasn't needed in the old configuration - as it is absolutely no fun being out to sea (lake, river) and having a dead engine, because of dirt or especially water in the fuel system  :cussing:  So how you make the tank + fuel lines + water seperator filter etc. is extremely important .... Just saying (and I might be telling GrandMa how to suck eggs here) ....

Best wishes

Per

Got all of that.....and a loaf of bread too.    No worries!
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 12:12:36 AM »
Racor R12 water seperator and prefilter and a 5 micron fuel filter down stream of that all in hand.    Right out of the Yanmar manual

Raw water strainer for the cooling as well.  Inside of the engine is spotless, but I bought the raw water pump rebuild kit with rotor, seals and bearings.   

Typical east coast engine...spends all week in the slip and an hour every other weekend on the water in a sailboat....

The Ericson 25 it came out of was blown over in her cradle while on the hard for the winter.....so the boat was written off and the engine was a salvage., but I watched it start and run and it's beautiful....

The engine is ensconced on the bench of my shop...next to her steam powered sister.....

Humans created boats to keep their engines dry!!!!    8)

Dave
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 12:18:21 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 02:43:46 AM »
Great start on an equally great project Dave. Looking forward to the transformation.

Bill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 12:46:51 PM »
Glad to hear that you have thought of all the relevant parts  :ThumbsUp:

Humans created boats to keep their engines dry!!!!    8) 

LOL - and it is even true, when you think of the origin of boats, as the first ones where muscle powered  ;)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
Rushforth was originally designed for 3 power plants.     Steam, Diesel or gas, and electric.

So this is just a logical progression of her life .....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
Does that mean that you already are planing the electric power plant for the following installation ?

You could even argue that the fuel is even lighter to "carry on board" - as in a power plug / solar panel as a roof  ;)

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 10:58:28 PM »
Does that mean that you already are planing the electric power plant for the following installation ?

You could even argue that the fuel is even lighter to "carry on board" - as in a power plug / solar panel as a roof  ;)

It's been on the radar since I built the boat

https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/product/ep-6-electric-inboard/

Decent range, but a lot of weight....ELCO is VERY expensive, but is really nice stuff....but there are other alternatives out there.

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2019, 11:15:21 PM »
Yeah but you would miss the chug, chug, chug of the diesel  :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal