Author Topic: Double ignition pcb board etched  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Doc

• USA ND
Double ignition pcb board etched
« on: October 17, 2019, 01:40:29 AM »
Played around seeing if I could get pcb's etched I used muriatic acid  and hydrogen peroxide. Seemed to work pretty well.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
Re: Double ignition pcb board etched
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:46:49 AM »
I used to buy a kit from radio shack that worked real well. Used a sharpie pen and dry transfer pads to create the traces. Not sure what was in the pen or the bottle of etch fluid but it might be worth the research as it made real nice crisp lines.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 12:34:18 PM »
This was my first attempt. I'm going to give it another go I have one of those kits left over when I was doing stereo stuff. It's like 45 years old lol. On this first attempt I used a laser jet printer to print then ironed it onto the pcb. And then used the acid etch. I checked all conductivity of the board all looks good. While the next board is in the acid I'll add the components. I think the sharpy was just a normal sharpy I'll give it a test on the next board. I'll add a smiley face and see if it comes out.   

Offline tghs

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 03:18:45 PM »
I have done some simple acid etching to make thin brass model parts only using sharpie as a resist and scribe to mark the "cut" lines...micromark sells a resist etching kit to do more complex things,, jameco has many things like radioshack ..
what the @#&% over

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:01:40 PM »
Ok here is my 2nd try I did draw a couple smile's with just a plaain sharpie fine point pen. Plus I did find 1 old kit from my year past they still work even after about 50 yrs!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:49 PM »
Cool Doc I use to etch my boards for years for all sores of projects. Had the software and all the acid and chemicals needed to do the job. Now expressPCB has the software free for download to make your boards with and you upload the finish board to them and in a couple of days it’s at hour door. Very good prices for them also.

Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 02:05:08 AM »
I was still playing around with PCB I have found that the best fluid I found so far for transferring the lazer printing to the board is the cheap nail polish remover sold by Menards. I did some labels with regular typing paper and it worked fine. So the fluid is the secret to success in transferring the lazer printing.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
That one does look real nice.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
Thanks Steve, To me it was finding a good fluid to transfer printing and the stuff from Menards works great and only a buck a bottle.

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 01:27:36 PM »
Doc

What is your process to transfer the laser printing to the copper?

Do you just place the paper, print side down, on the copper and dab/ soak the paper with the transfer fluid?

What precisely did you do?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline awake

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 03:40:58 PM »
I echo Vixen's question! I've always used the laminator approach, and it usually works well ... but occasionally I have a trace or two that doesn't transfer correctly. I'd love to try another approach to see if I can get better results!
Andy

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 09:18:47 AM »
Thanks Doc  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2019, 01:48:39 AM »
Doc not meaning to derail your thread and explanation of how to go about making the boards. I found it most cost effective and very easy to make and print out the actual PCB to examine before making it by using the free software from here..... https://www.expresspcb.com/
it gives you pricing per the size and how many layers you use. It also has silk screening on them. After you upload the layout In a couple of days it is at your door. I am posting the link should anyone be interested.

Regards Don

Offline Doc

• USA ND
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
Thanks Don I need to try out that design software but as far as making the pcb I like the challenge of doing it myself plus being able at the end of the day being able to say I did it on my own.  It's just the way I am I guess.  :)

Offline awake

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 04:43:05 PM »
Thanks for the video, Doc. Interesting that the key is NOT to have 100% acetone. I have often used acetone to clean off a failed transfer, and as the final cleaning of a board before transferring.

Sometimes the laminator (heat+pressure) approach has produced near-perfect results for me. But sometimes near an edge I think the pressure must not be even, and I get a defect. I have filled in with Sharpie, but sometimes when using SMD components, that is not a practical fix. Maybe I'll try a combination - run it through the laminator AND try some nail-polish-remover. :)

I have sent files off to a board maker. It is quite astonishing how inexpensive it can be, per board ... but generally you get 5 or more boards, when I only want one. :( Still, it is hard to argue with the quality of the results, with silk screening and solder masking and more.
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal