Author Topic: Old School Sawmill Edger  (Read 18100 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Old School Sawmill Edger
« Reply #180 on: December 10, 2019, 01:11:36 AM »
Today seen the gears assembled with the first side of this reducer housing. The overall ratio will be 16.5:1. There is one trick thing going on here that I like. The 16 tooth pinion shaft sets so close to the mating 30 tooth gear that there is not enough room for two ball bearings to set side by side. That is why the reducer sideplates are 1" thick. This allows me to put in a deep counterbore for one of the bearings and a shallow counterbore for the other. That way I can run the ball-bearings with one setting in deep enough to clear the other.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:20:53 AM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #181 on: December 10, 2019, 02:33:44 AM »
Clever solution Brian.  :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #182 on: December 10, 2019, 08:00:17 PM »
This is a video of the reducer running. The gears are all finished and the shafts are all supported on sealed ball bearings. I still have to make and install the perimeter plates that enclose everything, as this reducer will be full of grease.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPA2TEKgd3Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPA2TEKgd3Q</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #183 on: December 10, 2019, 08:25:18 PM »
Very slick, not long till you are sawing boards to make your cat an elf-trap!  Or a shop-gnome-a-pult...

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2019, 01:23:14 AM »
Today I made up the seven individual plates which form the perimeter of the gear reducer housing. Each plate has 4 drilled and tapped holes in it. Somewhere about half way thru, it must have driven me mad, because I thought "Now would be an opportune time to grease the gears before I get everything buttoned up!!" Of course by the end of the day, all of the grease is polluted by aluminum dust, so will have to be washed out and regreased. You have to admit though, it is a very swoopy looking gear reducer. It will look even swoopier after I wash out the bad grease, refill with good grease, and introduce reducer housing to Mrs. belt sander.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
So, today you get a look inside. The bad grease is all washed out, the joints are all sealed with compound, and the new grease is in. The outside of the housing has had a brief visit with a couple of different belt sanders. It is posed "more or less" in the position it will occupy on the edger. I have to machine a few brass "buttons" to plug any holes that I don't need, they will be installed with Loctite. That big pulley on the input shaft is not part of the finished assembly. I just needed something I could grip to test the gear train with.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #186 on: December 14, 2019, 04:49:15 PM »
Now that the gear reducer has been completed, it's time to go around to the other side of the edger and spend some time on the final drive for the saws. I had one set of timing gears and pulleys that were salvaged off some appliance, and they will be the only timing belt drives used on the project. The new reducer has one shaft that extends completely through the leg of the edger to drive the saw blade, and I have to do some very serious calculating to make sure the hole gets put into the correct place. I have ordered two Lovejoy couplings. One will go between the engine and the clutch, and one will go between the clutch and the gear reducer. No O-rings or pulleys will be used at all.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
Now that the gear reducer has been completed, it's time to go around to the other side of the edger and spend some time on the final drive for the saws. I had one set of timing gears and pulleys that were salvaged off some appliance, and they will be the only timing belt drives used on the project. The new reducer has one shaft that extends completely through the leg of the edger to drive the saw blade, and I have to do some very serious calculating to make sure the hole gets put into the correct place. I have ordered two Lovejoy couplings. One will go between the engine and the clutch, and one will go between the clutch and the gear reducer. No O-rings or pulleys will be used at all.

Hello Brian,

This new setup looks really good and should be more efficient.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
So the actual saw blade will be run from the timing belt at a higher speed than the shaft coming out of the reducer box, which slows things down on the feed shafts?

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2019, 06:06:04 PM »
Yes Chris, but it's a trick. The input from the engine will be at 1000 rpm. clockwise. The next gear which the input shaft meshes with will be revolving at 500 rpm counter-clockwise. The timing belt pulleys are 4:1, so the saw-blade will be revolving at 2000 rpm counter-clockwise, which I want it to. The third gear in will be running clockwise again to drive the rollers clockwise, and the final ratio from input is 16.5:1, so the feed rollers will be turning at 61 rpm. I established with the earlier o-ring set-up that the edger operated quite well at those rpm's. Kinda bends your head though.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »
You just have to stop and admire a milling machine with such insane headroom. I don't use that head-room very often, but it is just wonderful to have it when you need it. I will have to put a tension pulley on that timing belt, but things worked out remarkably well. I will add an outboard bearing to that long shaft that comes all the way thru the edger to drive the large timing belt pulley.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2019, 10:05:44 PM »
Eagerly waiting to see the sawdust fly.  If you hurry Brian you might be able to use it for some Christmas gift packing ;D... or maybe not. ::)

Look’in good.  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2019, 03:05:05 AM »
Brian,
That saw rig set up in the mill is quite impressive looking. I'm glad its you twisting your head around this thing & not me.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2019, 01:09:05 PM »
I'm liking this build very much. I wasn't crazy about the o-ring drive set-up with the overhead shafts, gears, and towers, but it did actually make the edger run the way I wanted it to. At least it helped me to establish what speed the various components should be running at. The new system I have designed requires much less power to run it, so I still have high hopes of running the edger with one of my gas engines. I'm glad you fellows check in with a comment occasionally. I've had very little interest in this thread.---Brian

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »
I'm liking this build very much. I wasn't crazy about the o-ring drive set-up with the overhead shafts, gears, and towers, but it did actually make the edger run the way I wanted it to. At least it helped me to establish what speed the various components should be running at. The new system I have designed requires much less power to run it, so I still have high hopes of running the edger with one of my gas engines. I'm glad you fellows check in with a comment occasionally. I've had very little interest in this thread.---Brian

I'm liking this build as well Brian.  :ThumbsUp: Especially seeing how you've delt with various issues along the way.

Over 7000 views since you started in mid-October isn't exactly a lack of interest.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal