Author Topic: Old School Sawmill Edger  (Read 18098 times)

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Old School Sawmill Edger
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 07:06:16 AM »
Excellent way to get an idea of the feed rate that the model will need.   :popcorn:

looks like it will need about 1;100 to get that sort of feed rate with 1/2" rollers

From video about 6 seconds to cut 1.5" which is the circumference of a roller

So 10 turns per minute feed

970 / 10 = 97:1

Offline nonort!

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:50 AM »
Hi Guys I've never posted on here before so here goes. In my long distant youth I did an apprenticeship with 'Stenner of Tiverton' an old English company, spawned from Stenner and Gunn. Just couple of points. The riving knife is there to stop the timber closing onto the back of the blade and stop it lifting the timber this keeps the cut straight. On all Stenner machines the saw tables and fences where finished on a planer. The surface finish was a series of shallow dips at about 3/8" pitch and approximately 1/64" deep. This process was carried out to stop the timber sticking to the sliding surfaces particularly when wet or green timber was being sawn. The feed rollers were more of a ratchet form as a vee form clogs very quickly. In closing the blade will need a set in the teeth and a deep gullet to clear the saw dust. The biggest circular saw that Stenner built was for the Swedish market and had two 84" blades set above one another and slightly behind one another. This timber was frozen? The whole contraption was driven by three Rolls Royce engines one for each saw and one for the hydraulic feed gear. It all came apart and was transported on sledges with wheels added when required.
If all the worlds a stage who's stolen the horses.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »
This mornings work was to complete the second "textured" drive roller and both plain "pinch" rollers.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »
I'm going to have to spend some money tomorrow. I want all the pillow block bearings (bushings) to be a contrasting color. If I was planning on edging a hundred board feet a day, I would definitely make them all from bronze. For the sake of a model, I can probably get away with brass.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 03:16:03 PM »
I've learned more about sawmill edgers in the last week than I ever have in my life!! One of the things all edgers have in common is an adjustable fence on the infeed fence. The setting of the moveable portion of infeed fence is to allow wider or narrower edgings from the side of the board.--for instance if you have a rough sawn board with a big bark inclusion on the side, you can adjust the moveable fence to cut a wider edging than normal.   

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 08:56:14 PM »
Today I made the two spring loaded brackets which support the pressure roll bearings. They don't look that involved, but I've managed to spend the entire day building them.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »
Hello Brian

Many  :ThumbsUp: to this project.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 06:08:35 PM »
So far today I've managed to whittle out four "pillow blocks" for mounting the pressure rolls. They still need to be polished to remove any remaining machining marks. They are made from brass, which will work fine, since this edger when finished isn't going to see a lot of hours. On average it is taking about 1 hour per pillow block, which sounds ridiculous, but it is what it is.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
Run, run--fast as you can
You won't catch me, I'm the Pillow Block man.
Dang, there was a lot of time to make ten of these things!!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2019, 10:05:35 PM »
Oil holes will be added. I was more interested in getting them all finished. I still have to polish them up, and I will add the oil holes then.---Brian

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2019, 03:04:54 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Look’in good Brian.  I’m following along.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »
YES!!!--First assembly. Everything fits and most of the bolts go in. Milestone event!! It's plain that I will have to open a few clearance holes, but all in all I'm very pleased. The true story will be told when I make the two cross-members that bolt the two side-frames in place. It's been a long day.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 01:59:58 AM »
Yeehah!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 12:38:30 PM »
Just got caught up Brian....interesting project!   

I like it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
From what I have read, these edgers had a habit of "kicking back" a board and wounding the operator who was setting the board on the infeed table and pushing it through until the infeed roller grabbed it. I don't want any workman's compensation claims in my mill, so I have added a set of anti-kickback fingers to the assembly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal