Author Topic: Old School Sawmill Edger  (Read 18114 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Old School Sawmill Edger
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2019, 05:43:28 PM »
Are you worried at all about the grip pattern tearing/wearing the belts prematurely?  Maybe a quick blast with baking soda would help?  Would a v-groove provide better grip, or would that just tend to make the belt whip/vibrate due to stiction when the belt unwinds from the pulley?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2019, 05:48:30 PM »
Are you worried at all about the grip pattern tearing/wearing the belts prematurely?  Maybe a quick blast with baking soda would help?  Would a v-groove provide better grip, or would that just tend to make the belt whip/vibrate due to stiction when the belt unwinds from the pulley?
My old Unimat lathe used the o-ring type belts (larger diameter, urethane I think) with a slight V to the grooves. Worked fine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »
Bent--It would probably be good if you took time to read the whole thread. Your question has been addressed a couple of times.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
A two hour heat soak in my wife's kitchen oven, and Hey-Presto--We have a new tool. The intent of this tool is to put a knurled pattern on the flat bottom of the v-groove in an o-ring pulley. Tomorrow I will do some functional testing and let you know the results.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »
Really outstanding results with this new tool. Two pictures show tool in tool holder after being cranked in to bear on bottom of v-groove. and an identical groove made with the same grooving tool to the same depth but with no texturing in the bottom. I wrapped a 1/8" o-ring around the smooth pulley, and with a bit of tension on it, it slips in the groove. Did the same with the textured groove, and there was no slippage at all.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #110 on: November 25, 2019, 11:42:05 PM »
This is the tool I ground to make all of the o-ring grooves identical. A simple plunge cut 0.070" deep and the groove is finished.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2019, 04:20:19 AM »
Hi Brian,

This has been a really interesting build thread.........as are all of your builds.

Anyway, I was wondering if, when you made your new groove knurling tool, you used an existing knurling tool to make it? I'm always fascinated with the concept of making a tool to do a job. I've made a few simple ones myself and find it quite rewarding.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2019, 02:39:59 PM »
Yes Jim, that's exactly what I did. I had a 3" long leftover of 01 steel 1" diameter. I set it up in the lathe and knurled the last 3/8" (which is the width of my knurls), then parted off a piece 0.075" long, then hardened it. This piece than became a very narrow knurl itself.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2019, 09:39:21 PM »
Okay people--We have one side of the equation. This is a quote I received today for 100 foot of 1/8" diameter polyurethane cord and a splice kit.

From $83 to $94 for the 100 foot of cord, and over $500 for the splice kit.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:47:44 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »
Seems a bit pricy but.... you’d have a lifetime supply of belting :ThumbsUp: so it might be worth considering?

I’ve spent more on things that didn’t pan out.  :wallbang:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
SO--This morning my rubber O-rings showed up. There are 18.3 linear foot of o-ring, costing a total of $75.79 which works out to $4.14 per linear foot. The 1/8" round polyurethane that I had quoted was $83.00 for 100 foot. This works out to $.83 per linear foot. Conclusion is that o-ring material costs about 500% more than polyurethane material---if you don't consider the price of a splicing kit for the polyurethane.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:54:42 PM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline AOG

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2019, 05:53:15 PM »
You could glue the ends together.  Methyl methacrylate (MMA) adhesives will bond Polyurethane and they are reasonably cheap.

Tony
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:58:03 PM by AOG »

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »
Here we are girls and boys. Ready to rock and roll!!! It is far too cold out in my main garage to set this up, so I have it set up on a piece of plywood screwed to my side reference desk. The aluminum box with the switch and handle on it is my coil box. I'm going to grab some lunch and then try to run this thing.---Brian
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:20:03 AM by Brian Rupnow »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »
Hello Brian,

Holly molly that is a lot of "belts" but it sure looks good. Looking forward to the video of this in operation.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2019, 08:17:57 PM »
Hi Brian
I don't think you need a  $500 tool to melt the ends together. Perhaps for paying customers and industrial use but not for this. I bought 5mm belting from Asia, made a jig to hold the ends in alignment and then heated a hack saw blade end to fuse the 2 ends. This method runs the spindle on my UPT as well as my Alexander d-bit grinder. It took a few tried to get the correct amount of melt but that only cost me a few inches of material. If you pm me your snail address. I will mail you a few feet, no charge.
Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal