Author Topic: Grooving a hardened pin  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Diegovv

Grooving a hardened pin
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
Hi fellow machinists!!!

I am currently working on an Edward´s 5 cyl radial engine and I have to machine a small groove in hardened material (For the conrod pins). The plan is to use ground hardened shafting material and the problem is that it´s case hardened to 62HRC

I can sharpen a carbide piece to the exact geometry, but I am not sure it will work for machining  62HRC material.

My other option is to grind the groove, but I would prefer not to choose this option as the groove will end up being a U shape instead a square bottom.

Any suggestion?

Thank you all!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Grooving a hardened pin
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:01:37 AM »
Why are you starting with pre hardened material? If you use silver steel (Drill rod) you can harden it after the machining.

Would you like to provide us with an introduction post so that we know a little more about your model making interests  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline john mills

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:14:15 AM »
if the material is case hardened not very deep you could grind the groove then finish with the carbide gooving tool if the grinding has too much of a radius you would have to try  and find out how deep the hardness is and if the carbide will cut the corners.

John

Offline Tjark

• Woldendorp, Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 01:53:45 AM »
You can use an CBN grooving insert.
They are quit cheap in china.

Tjark.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal