Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28190 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #240 on: November 25, 2020, 07:46:11 PM »
For holding a rough  casting for initial trueing and flattening, another trick is to use some flats of wood as soft jaws, the metal can squish into the wood a bit and give a good hold.

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #241 on: November 25, 2020, 08:28:34 PM »
Excellent! Thank you for the tip.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #242 on: November 25, 2020, 08:43:08 PM »
Thanks for the tip Chris.

My next task is to figure out how to hold the Eccentric in order to flatten the sides and mill to the proper thickness. I guess one option would be to bore it (maybe not to final size) and then make an arbor to hold it for turning the sides.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #243 on: November 25, 2020, 09:05:19 PM »
Boring the hole round, maybe while clamped down on the mill table with a sacrificial wood or aluminum block under it, would let you do an arbor. An expanding arbor is easy to make and lets you turn right to the hole.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2020, 11:23:02 PM »
Boring the hole round, maybe while clamped down on the mill table with a sacrificial wood or aluminum block under it, would let you do an arbor. An expanding arbor is easy to make and lets you turn right to the hole.

Thanks Chris, I like your idea. I remember you using an expanding arbor on your project a while back.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2020, 11:56:02 PM »

Thanks Chris, I like your idea. I remember you using an expanding arbor on your project a while back.

Jim
Used in again this week on the Mann wagon too. Very handy holders, easy to make.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #246 on: November 26, 2020, 02:40:46 AM »
Before I took the RT off of the right angle adapter, I needed to work on the stand off's for the Valve Slide.  I mounted the main casting back on the RT, leveled everything up and milled the stand offs to enable the Valve Slide mechanism line up with the shaft coming from the Steam Chest.

Took several ties to sneak up on the height, but finally........ success! The slide moves smoothy up and down with minimal pressure. Whew!   :whoohoo:

Happy dance.  :pinkelephant:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #247 on: November 26, 2020, 02:44:45 AM »
Ah that’s a beautiful thing - coming together very well indeed.
Stuart

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #248 on: November 26, 2020, 02:52:35 AM »
Nice work Jim!

Dave

Offline Bear

• Idaho, USA
« Reply #249 on: November 26, 2020, 05:15:21 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline EricB

« Reply #250 on: November 26, 2020, 06:01:38 AM »

My next task is to figure out how to hold the Eccentric in order to flatten the sides and mill to the proper thickness. I guess one option would be to bore it (maybe not to final size) and then make an arbor to hold it for turning the sides.

Jim

I did mine in the 4 jaw chuck. I used the boring tool to face the sides.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:05:31 AM by EricB »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2020, 03:48:35 PM »

Jim

I did mine in the 4 jaw chuck. I used the boring tool to face the sides.

Eric

Thanks for the explanation and pictures Eric. I'll look at that option today.

Couple of questions. How did you machine the groove? I've been wrestling with that. Also it looks like you had already done the bore and groove before setting up in the 4 jaw for facing?

Jim

PS: Let me offer you a belated welcome to MEM.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 03:58:25 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline EricB

« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2020, 01:36:09 AM »
I thought about that for a while, then I found a youtube video by Joe Pieczynski on making internal features and mostly followed his advice.
 <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeFCLX1Veqk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeFCLX1Veqk</a>

I made a simple internal grooving tool and made some practice cuts in some 6061 first, and then the actual part. It's very important to know where the edges of the tool are so you can hit the width and depth. I lost track of my cross slide hand wheel reading and made the groove too shallow, so I had to put the part back in the chuck and fix the depth.

Yes I did the bore and groove before I faced it but it was the same setup. I was just checking to see if I could face it square to the bore like that and it worked out. I was trying to avoid making another mandrel. Make sure your tool will clear of the jaws before you try it or bad things can happen. It's only been a few months ago that I did this but it seems like an eternity. When I examine the part it shows I finished the side that is toward the chuck in my picture on the mill.

Eric
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 02:36:45 AM by EricB »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #253 on: November 28, 2020, 03:19:33 AM »
Ok..........got a little more done on the Eccentric Hub today.

Here's where I left off.

I filed on the opening until I could get a drill bit to fit the opening in order to give me a starting point for boring. Then I turned a plug that would just fit the opening. I moved that plug, still mounted on the chuck, over to the mill and used it to center the Eccentric Hub, which I had mounted on my fixture plate.

I could then bore the opening to .563 as called out. I ended up at .562...........works for me!  :whoohoo:

I'll leave this set up, as is, until my "Straight-Tooth Keyseat End Mill" gets here (taking a page out of Eric's (Tennessee Whiskey) build thread. Then I can cut the groove in the center.

Once that's done I'll make an arbor so I can mount it on the lathe to turn it to proper width.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #254 on: November 28, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »
That’s great work. I just had a scan back through the thread - steadily closer to having a runner eh? Looks like you’re well along!
Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal