Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28252 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2020, 03:52:39 AM »
Thanks guys.

Don ......... Chris and his elves are the ones setting the pace. They get more done before their morning coffee than I get done in a week!  :shrug: Of course, in my defense, I've got to say that all I have here to help me is three worthless Garden Gnomes. They don't do much in the summer and in the winter.......... nothing! Right now they're sound asleep in the garden shed.  :facepalm2:

Anyway..........working all by myself I did manage to get a few parts made this week.  :)

First up was the Valve Slide. Centered up some 3/16" brass in the 4 jaw. Moved to the mill RT and used my test indicator to set a surface level.

This let me then rotate the piece 45 degrees and mill a flat, drill and thread a hole to mount the, soon to be made, Valve Slide Post.

Then moved the chuck back to the lathe and drilled and tapped the hole for the push rod.

Turned the Valve Slide Post, drilled and parted off.

The last piece was the Eccentric Rod Bearing. Turned the end to the dimension called out. Flattened the side and drilled and reamed for the Valve Slide Post.

Milled to the final dimension. Then moved back to the lathe, parted off, turned it around and drilled the oil hole.

Done.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #181 on: February 07, 2020, 05:16:01 AM »
That's a lot of little fiddly pieces!  Are you sure you didn't have help from your garden gnomes?  Seems like a lot of progress to me!  :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #182 on: February 07, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
Good progress Jim and the parts look great.

Where did you get the clamp I see in the 2nd pic?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #183 on: February 07, 2020, 12:45:09 PM »

Hmmm, I think one of my elves sold his gnomes that clamp, need to go count mine!

Those are Kant Twist welding clamps, come in several sizes, very handy - they show up on ebay or can be bought new. Parallel action with rotating grooved tips.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #184 on: February 07, 2020, 01:59:03 PM »
Still making wonderful progress Jim and very nice looking parts. You will have it running in no time :)

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #185 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:42 PM »

Hmmm, I think one of my elves sold his gnomes that clamp, need to go count mine!

Those are Kant Twist welding clamps, come in several sizes, very handy - they show up on ebay or can be bought new. Parallel action with rotating grooved tips.

Thanks Guys.

Zee...........I got that clamp after seeing Chris use his in one of his posts. It's one of those tools that a person tries to find a way to slip into a picture once in a while.  :ROFL: Kind of like my Starrett 1/2" "mini mike"!  :LittleDevil:

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2020, 03:09:48 AM »
Next up were the Slide Valve Bearings and the Valve Slide Caps. I finally got smart and drilled the mounting holes before I cut them apart.

I couldn't drill all the way through without drilling into my parallels, so I finished up drilling into some scrap material.

Then I took a page out of Bill's book, from his build thread, and made a fixture to hold my parts for milling the sides.

Then I milled a slot in my fixture so I could invert the parts for milling the vee groove for the slide valve when I receive my chamfer mill. Actually............... that would be when I order and receive my chamfer mill.  ::)

Here's the parts to this point..........ready for milling the v-groove.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2020, 05:56:36 AM »
Some nice assembly line work there, Jim.  :popcorn:
You're making some good progress here!  Keep at it and you'll have a runner soon :)
Kim

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2020, 02:25:48 PM »
You're getting closer to completion every day, Jim. Looking forward to seeing a video of her running!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2020, 02:36:46 AM »
Thanks Kim and Terry.

There's still a significant challenge with some machining to do on the Frame casting, but I'm getting there.

I got a lot of machining done on the crank Bearing Caps. First up was to get the sides milled flat and parallel. I'll do some fine tuning later once I get the Frame machined to accept them.

I used a needle in the mill to locate the "best compromise" for the locations of the oil hole and mounting holes. I forgot to take a picture at the start, so took one a little further along to show the method I used.

Drilled the oil hole. First at 5/32" for 1/8" and then finished up at 1/16"

Ready for mounting to the Frame and eventual boring for the Crankshaft.

I think I'm now going to have to face up to getting back to machining on the Frame.  :-\

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #190 on: February 14, 2020, 03:34:04 AM »
Go for it Jim, I think you'll do very well. Parts continue to look superb.  :ThumbsUp:
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #191 on: February 14, 2020, 11:55:31 AM »
Getting close to another family shot.  :ThumbsUp:

Drilled the oil hole. First at 5/32" for 1/8" and then finished up at 1/16"

I don't understand  :headscratch:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
I think you have caught up to my progress or lack thereof recently Jim. I had also deferred the final base machining and am at that point now so will be following your lead now  :)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2020, 04:18:31 PM »
Great progress Jim and I see you like to flaunt that 1/2 mic... awesome work bud!... :Love:

:drinking-41: 

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2020, 04:27:18 PM »
Thanks guys.

Stuart, yes.............I can't put it off much longer. I've been working on my plan on just how to hold the Frame for drilling the Crankshaft holes.  :headscratch:

Zee, if you look at the last picture, you can see where I drilled 5/32" for 1/8" and then on through at 1/16". That creates a bit of an oil cup for oiling the Crankshaft.

Bill, I've been following your lead pretty closely so far. Looks like I'm going to have to start thinking for myself pretty soon!  :thinking:

Don, I love that mighty "mini mic"!  :) It does seem to slip into a picture now and again.  :shrug:  :naughty:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal