Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28162 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 12:45:24 AM »
With help of neighbors who made the mistake of saying "let me know if you need anything", and after seeing the picture of Chris's Sherline shop, I was able to get my prototype shop set up. The bench will eventually be replaced with an adjustable height/roll around bench. That way when I need to use my table saw I can just roll it out of the shop.

OK Surus, my impatient little friend,  :pinkelephant: here's a picture of the parts out of the box:

There weren't as many cast iron (still plenty I'm sure) parts as I thought there might be and they're really nicely done. Plans are nice as well.

I got started doing some fondling and fettling, which will be the subject of my next post (hear that Surus  :pinkelephant:)?

I'm enjoying thinking in "machining" again.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 01:11:34 AM »
Hello Jim,

Very nice layout, is this a part of your hanger.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »
Hello Jim,

Very nice layout, is this a part of your hanger.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Yes it's a 11'x 22' room that's built inside of the hanger. It houses my wood working equipment. It's easy to heat, so I'm wanting to use it in the winter. The hanger itself is heated, but is a large area keep heated to working temperature.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 02:25:00 AM »
Nice setup!  ...does look familiar....  :ThumbsUp:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 02:31:26 AM »
Beautiful setup Jim. I like it a lot!!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 02:46:14 AM »
Thanks Chris and Bill. You two were the inspiration to start putting this sit down setup together. Was out there until my foot said it's time to stop. I think it's going to work well.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 05:18:03 AM »
Nice shop you've got there Jim!
And a nuice set of castings too! :)  :popcorn:
Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 07:23:04 AM »
Thanks that worked thanks Jim   :) Surus is now busy comparing your castings with his so hopefully my life will become a little quieter and I will be allowed to make some swarf.

Looks like you have more castings in the set than I thought :thinking: The quality looks good.

I'm interested to hear about how you might tackle your castings... As you can see we will have some of our own to do one day and if someone thinks he wants a particular engine done I may even be allowed to take them into the workshop to make it ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 01:39:36 PM »
Jim, it is nice to see how well you are adapting to adverse conditions! There may not be as much delay to this project as you first thought!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2019, 02:32:14 PM »
Thanks that worked thanks Jim   :) Surus is now busy comparing your castings with his so hopefully my life will become a little quieter and I will be allowed to make some swarf.

Looks like you have more castings in the set than I thought :thinking: The quality looks good.

I'm interested to hear about how you might tackle your castings... As you can see we will have some of our own to do one day and if someone thinks he wants a particular engine done I may even be allowed to take them into the workshop to make it ::)

Jo

Glad I could help Jo. We have to take care of our little helpers (or are we actually the helpers while they run the show).  :shrug:

The coke bottle and the base are the first castings I'm going to work with...........at least to the point of doing enough machine work to mount the two together. I gave it a little thought yesterday and will continue that thought process in a post today.

By the way what is the engine you show in the picture? Looks really interesting. Does Surus  :pinkelephant: know you have it? Whoops......just noticed him keeping a close eye on the parts.........he doesn't look too thrilled!

Thanks Terry. It was a huge help getting my shop set up. I've always worked standing up, but can already tell this is going to work just fine.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2019, 03:02:39 PM »
By the way what is the engine you show in the picture? Looks really interesting.

That Model Bottle engine is a 1890's Bottle Frame Engine as drawn up by C J Stilson and marketed by Precision Service Company. I am not sure if they actually went into production as my Supplier was commissioned to make the prototypes and to check the drawings out. There were two basic types and the drawings included a few possible personalisations to confuse the builder  :facepalm:

:thinking: The flange on the bottom of the castings look a bit small for gripping in a chuck. What do others think? At least Jim your bottle is made of something solid. Surus' one is made of Cast Bronze so will mark if you even think of touching it, then he'll know I touched it  :facepalm2:

I'd start with the base and see how you get on with sitting at the machines  :paranoia:

Jo

P.S. I can just about get at those castings as Surus is pre-occupied waiting to pounce on the long suffering postman as he is expecting more castings ::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2019, 03:14:33 PM »
Jim

That is a very nice looking shop, just needs a bit of swarf to make it look right.  I like the wood floor. I put wood in my shop a few years ago because concrete is so hard on the feet. A nice side benefit is that when I drop a small part, which I do frequently, it makes a much louder sound hitting the wood and I can even follow the second and third bounce to help find it!

I resorted to a rolling chair several years ago because of leg, back and foot pain, and because of the general fatigue that comes with age.  Now, if I feel good enough to make the short walk to the shop, I can stay there all day. My shop is not as compact as yours so I have to scoot around a bit from lathe to mill to grinder.  I found that the standard 1 1/2 inch casters had a hard time with even a small chip on the floor.  I was able to replace them with larger diameter wheels with a soft tire.  It makes travel much better.  It raised the seat height a bit and that worked out well for me. My 9x20 lathe is mounted on the standard base and and the raised casters made a much better fit.

Leaning over in a chair to pick up a dropped part or tool can be a challenge so I make sure that there is a pair of long nose pliers at each work station.

Congratulations on the nice shop and getting back to it. 

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »

That Model Bottle engine is a 1890's Bottle Frame Engine as drawn up by C J Stilson and marketed by Precision Service Company. I am not sure if they actually went into production as my Supplier was commissioned to make the prototypes and to check the drawings out. There were two basic types and the drawings included a few possible personalisations to confuse the builder  :facepalm:

:thinking: The flange on the bottom of the castings look a bit small for gripping in a chuck. What do others think? At least Jim your bottle is made of something solid. Surus' one is made of Cast Bronze so will mark if you even think of touching it, then he'll know I touched it  :facepalm2:

I'd start with the base and see how you get on with sitting at the machines  :paranoia:

Jo

P.S. I can just about get at those castings as Surus is pre-occupied waiting to pounce on the long suffering postman as he is expecting more castings ::)

That is a beautiful engine Jo! I hope you can distract Surus long enough to build yours.

I agree in that I'll start with mating the coke bottle to the base. Once that's done accurately I think the rest of the machining will go well.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
Jim

That is a very nice looking shop, just needs a bit of swarf to make it look right.  I like the wood floor. I put wood in my shop a few years ago because concrete is so hard on the feet. A nice side benefit is that when I drop a small part, which I do frequently, it makes a much louder sound hitting the wood and I can even follow the second and third bounce to help find it!

I resorted to a rolling chair several years ago because of leg, back and foot pain, and because of the general fatigue that comes with age.  Now, if I feel good enough to make the short walk to the shop, I can stay there all day. My shop is not as compact as yours so I have to scoot around a bit from lathe to mill to grinder.  I found that the standard 1 1/2 inch casters had a hard time with even a small chip on the floor.  I was able to replace them with larger diameter wheels with a soft tire.  It makes travel much better.  It raised the seat height a bit and that worked out well for me. My 9x20 lathe is mounted on the standard base and and the raised casters made a much better fit.

Leaning over in a chair to pick up a dropped part or tool can be a challenge so I make sure that there is a pair of long nose pliers at each work station.

Congratulations on the nice shop and getting back to it. 

Jerry

Thanks for the info Jerry. Hadn't thought about the problem with the small casters. I like the idea of adapting larger wheels to a chair or stool.

I installed the wood floor last winter for the same reasons as you. I really like it.

Jim

PS: This looks interesting: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toolstud-Adjustable-Shop-Seat-HRAS/202018314
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:37:05 PM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »
The first task at hand is going to be mounting the coke bottle to the base.

The aluminum base just needs a little cleanup. The coke bottle itself needs the bottom trued up. The trick will be truing it up so it sits perfectly vertical. The trick to do that trick will be securing it perfectly vertical or possibly horizontally.

The first way I thought of is to get a "Horizontal Milling Conversion" for my Sherline mill: https://sherline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/6100inst.pdf If used in the "B" position I could mount the coke bottle horizontally which I think would be pretty stable.

I then tried it in my milling vice. It was actually more stable than I thought it would be, but still not the greatest.

Next since my 4 jaw chuck was handy I tried it. Way more stable.

Next up was my 3 jaw self centering chuck. I could mount it on the mill table perfectly centered under the spindle. If the top of the coke bottle is cast fairly accurate (looks like it is) that would get the top end in perfect position. That would just (easy to say) leave getting the base centered under the spindle. I read on Eric's build thread about filling the center of the bottom with wood in order to be able to mark the center.....so I'll explore that option.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal