Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28191 times)

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 04:48:30 PM »
Ow ow ow.  Get well soon Jim.

Offline TerryWerm

• Jordan, MN - 6147 nice folks and one grouch!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 03:26:43 AM »
All the best to you in this new adventure, Jim!  You should see the castings on your doorstep tomorrow. I too will break out the popcorn and follow along a couple of times per week as time permits. But, as others have already said, take care of that leg and don't overdo it!
----------------------------
Terry
Making chips when I can!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
Thanks Bent and Terry.

Terry, Columbs Day may slow the arrival slightly, but if not today certainly tomorrow.

A neighbor moved some things for me yesterday, so got a start on setting up my sit down Sherline shop. Now after seeing a picture of Chris's work area, I've got a great idea for a roll around-sit down Sherline shop. I want to be able to use it during the winter in my heated woodshop, but also want to be able to roll it out easily if I want to use my power woodworking tools.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 02:56:39 AM »
Look what showed up in todays mail:

More details tomorrow.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 02:59:46 AM »
Oboyoboyoboyoboy!!!

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 09:12:08 AM »
Casting fondling time  :pinkelephant: Why are they still in the box  :noidea:

Jo 
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 11:25:16 AM »
Looking good, Jim.  I am looking forward to you you recovering enough to make a start.

But it will also be interesting to see how you plan the build before you actually start cutting metal.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »
Casting fondling time  :pinkelephant: Why are they still in the box  :noidea:

Jo

Jo,

Tell Surus that that is todays project.  :) That and get a good look at the plans. That and read some more on Bill's and Eric's build threads. That and more posts here. That and more planning for my roll around Sherline shop. I'm gonna be a busy man today!  :)
Jim

PS: Yesterday my plastic surgeon told me to start putting my foot on the floor for short periods to start training it for real life again. "Hey no problem Doc"!  :whoohoo:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2019, 04:40:20 PM »
Jim just read about your situation, funny how life sets us up to reevaluate what we really want to do with our time. hope you foot heals up well and that you are mobile again soon. Looks like a nice engine project.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 02:49:21 PM »
Jim just read about your situation, funny how life sets us up to reevaluate what we really want to do with our time. hope you foot heals up well and that you are mobile again soon. Looks like a nice engine project.

Mike

Thanks Mike. You hit that right on the nail head. I had major surgery 35 years ago. Totally changed my outlook on life. I can already see this present  glitch is changing what I want to do with the REST of my life.

That's where my PMR #5 build comes in. For a long time I've been thinking that I "should" get back to machining, but just couldn't quite get myself going. Then WHAM this PM Research #5 kit drops into my lap. Suddenly the "should" get back to machining turns into I "want" to get back to machining!

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 03:30:56 PM »
Last we saw those castings they were still in the box   :disappointed: Come on Jim we want to see more of them  :stickpoke:

Just because you can't stand to convert them into swarf doesn't mean we can't discuss their possible machining and any potential issues  :)

Jo

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 04:04:43 PM »
Last we saw those castings they were still in the box   :disappointed: Come on Jim we want to see more of them  :stickpoke:

Just because you can't stand to convert them into swarf doesn't mean we can't discuss their possible machining and any potential issues  :)

Jo

:) I'm working on that post right now, Jo. Believe me there's plenty to discuss, before any swarf flies.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 04:22:37 PM »
OK...... since I'm getting some ......ah.......input from this certain person across the pond...............lets get something machining related posted!  :atcomputer: Actually..... I think Jo is pretty patient....... but that Surus dude seems kind of pushy.  :Lol: Plus...... he wouldn't even let me count my cast as a casting.  :shrug:

Here's the link to PM Research for my project: https://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/steam/steam-engines/steam-engine-5/

I've gone through the whole "Kits/Castings" section and was able to find two build threads:

Eric's (aka Cletus......aka TennesseeWhiskey) build: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2302.0.html

Bill's (aka Bill) build: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,8015.0.html

These threads are invaluable to me. Not only for Eric's and Bill's posts, but for all the rest of the helpful info that others have posted. Since I can't do much else right now, I've been taking notes while working my way through them. I can't believe how much I've forgotten during the time I've been away.

I'm also making a list of ......ahem...... a few new tools I might need!   :whoohoo:

Jim

PS: Next post we'll start to look at this kit in more detail. In particular the machining of the "cake bottle" using my Sherline lathe and mill.

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2019, 04:49:17 PM »
I will try to get back on mine soon Jim. Your getting me enthused again, now just have to find the time.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
Another 24 hours and still no signs of the castings having escaped the box   :disappointed:

Come on Jim, Surus is chomping at the bit to see these. He is becoming a real pain. And I can't even offer to buy him his own set as the UK supplier doesn't have any  :toilet_claw:

Jo

P.S. Surus hasn't see any cake bottle engines and thinks I have been holding out on him  :facepalm:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal