Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28184 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
I'll second the thoughts on Foredom. Quality stuff, not cheap as you know, but worth in in my opinion. Much like Sherline, they take a system view so things work together well

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2019, 02:30:18 AM »
Now, if you NEED an excuse to by another tool like the Foredom, I'll back you up that its a good reason!   ::)

Yes..............nothing  like having a good "enabler" for a friend!  :ThumbsUp:   :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »
Continuing on .......I got the mounting holes drilled in the frame.

Then drilled and tapped the base.

Family shot..............a really small family!  :shrug:

Now that I have the frame accurate at both ends I think it's time to start on the crosshead casting and see if my bore turned out as accurate as I think it did.  :thinking:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2019, 01:33:43 PM »
More nice work Jim. Before long I will be looking to your thread for guidance ...these days shop time is definitely hard to find...but thoroughly enjoying your build.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »
More nice work Jim. Before long I will be looking to your thread for guidance ...these days shop time is definitely hard to find...but thoroughly enjoying your build.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Getting control of the cast iron frame has certainly been a process (enjoyable) for me. Now I'm looking forward to just ( :lolb:) adding parts until it starts running.  :Lol:

Your build thread (using the same machines) has been (and will continue to be) a huge help. As is your P & W thread.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2019, 05:54:32 PM »
...these days shop time is definitely hard to find...

Bill
Maybe you should go back to work, Bill!  Retirement doesn't seem to be giving you much shop time! :)

Enjoying your build, Jim!  :popcorn:
Kim

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2019, 03:35:40 AM »
I pulled the risers off of my lathe today and got started on the Crosshead casting. Nice to be working with bronze. Set it up in the 4 jaw and indicated it as close as I could.

Turned the shaft to .250 as called out.

Drilled and tapped for the linkage rod.

Reversed the casting and turned it down to fit the bore in the frame. It fits right nicely.  :whoohoo:

Feels good to be back doing some lathe work.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2019, 04:22:32 AM »
 :whoohoo:

I've noticed that you use collets in both your lathe and mill. Which type, and how much range does each collet have, above or below each nominal size? Do the sizes meet, or does the stock have to be right on the collet size?

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2019, 09:01:03 AM »
Hello Jim,

Looking real good and enjoying following your "process" for each part.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
:whoohoo:

I've noticed that you use collets in both your lathe and mill. Which type, and how much range does each collet have, above or below each nominal size? Do the sizes meet, or does the stock have to be right on the collet size?

Thanks Chris and Thomas. It's good to be back to machining.....................even if it does go rather slow.................not being able to walk yet. That should end soon. I'm 12 weeks since the initial surgery to splice my fibia back together, so should get signed off for weight bearing this Friday when I see the orthopedic surgeon.

Chris, to answer your question, the collet you see in the last photo I posted is the 1/4" one out of this Sherline set:  https://www.sherline.com/product/30603090-mill-collet-sets/ They have very little adjustment.
The ER-16 collet holder that I use most of the time is a Taig lathe accessory: https://taigtools.com/product/er-16-adapter-for-3-4-16-spindle/ I had to machine a small shoulder off in order for it to work with the Sherline spindle.
I found a good price on Amazon for a set of Royal collets:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HW7MA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I see they're no longer available, but there are others out there..........just so they're fairly good ones. Mine go from 1/16" to 3/8" in 1/32" steps and have enough adjustment to work for anything (IE the sizes meet). I noticed that, for some reason, some of the sets I looked at left one of the sizes out (can't remember which one) so left a gap.

Beall makes an ER-32 collet chuck that looks interesting: http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2019, 02:52:42 AM »
Continuing on with the Crosshead. Mounted it in my 5C collet block and leveled it.

Mounted the collet bock in my vise and drilled and reamed to 3/32" as called out.

Milled the shoulder flat on both sides.

Next up is the slot for the connecting rod.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2019, 02:51:32 AM »
Continuing on, stood the collet block on end and milled the slot for the connecting rod. Gotta get some better lighting for pictures.

Machined a filing button in order to file the half rounds, although I never did file down to it. Should of made it a little larger.

A little cleanup and I'm calling this part done.  :cartwheel:

Jim

PS: Got the ok yesterday to start bearing some weight on my right ankle using a walker.  :whoohoo: It's nice to be standing on my own 6 legs!
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2019, 04:08:05 AM »
Good news on the ankle  :ThumbsUp: Nice work on that crosshead too!!

Bill

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2019, 05:40:21 AM »
Nice filing button, Jim! That is interesting how you did that - with just one filing button.  I've always made two - one for either side.  But this seemed to work pretty well for you.  I'll have to keep that in mind. :)

Great to hear you can start putting weight on your ankle!  You you just have to build up slowly.  Don't over do it!  Do what the good doctor tells you, right?  :ThumbsUp:

Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2019, 08:42:28 AM »
That's some nice work  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:  The hand reamers you mention in post 83 are actually Acrolaps or equivalent:

http://acrolaps.com/index.htm

I use then with diamond paste for finishing my cylinders but you need an ultrasonic bath for cleaning afterwards. I am sure that other abrasives will work I just haven't tried them.
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal