Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28173 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2019, 02:26:06 AM »
Great to see more progress Jim. Any hard places in that CI casting?

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2019, 02:42:40 AM »
Great to see more progress Jim. Any hard places in that CI casting?

Bill

So far I've just skimmed little off the top and bottom, but no issues so far.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2019, 07:35:34 AM »
Swarf, swarf  :pinkelephant:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2019, 11:52:48 AM »
Good morning Jim,

Nice to see a bit of progress, just make sure that you take care of that foot.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »
Good morning Jim,

Nice to see a bit of progress, just make sure that you take care of that foot.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thanks All.

Thomas, I had an appointment with the plastic surgeon yesterday and the orthopedic surgeon this morning. All is healing as it should (compared to a month ago when nothing was going right).

I should be able to put in a couple of hours each day in the shop working on the #5. I'm enjoying figuring out how to get a foothold on machining the coke bottle. Eric's build thread has been a huge help in that process.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2019, 11:34:05 PM »
I got in a couple of hours out in the shop today.

Continuing with the "machine fettling" of the coke bottle frame, I was able to mill the base so it stood nice and vertical. Sorry about the dark pictures. I only had my cellphone in the shop today.

Once I had gained that foothold, I mounted my fixture plate to the mill table and secured the base to it. Then I could mill the top.

I'm not at the final dimensions yet, but I now have some accurate surfaces to work with. Also after reading about Eric's problem with the lower crankshaft bearing I checked and the unmilled surface is equal height on each side.

So far so good!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2019, 11:58:11 PM »
 :popcornsmall:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2019, 01:50:04 AM »
Got a little more done this afternoon.

Cleaned up the aluminum base. Located and spot drilled the mounting holes. Then drilled to final size. I didn't go by the location of the holes as marked on the base. Instead I went by the dimensions as shown on the plans. Not really necessary for these holes, but good practice for when I drill the holes for mounting the frame to the base.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 09:17:04 PM »
Good on you Jim for taking a crack each day with this project in light of the healing process and its complications.  :ThumbsUp:

John

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »
Good on you Jim for taking a crack each day with this project in light of the healing process and its complications.  :ThumbsUp:

John

Thanks John. I'm getting a little more time in out in the shop each day.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2019, 02:09:11 AM »
A little more time in the shop today.

After trying a couple of setups yesterday that didn't work so well, I had a great idea (too bad it was at 3:00 in the morning last night).  I centered my rotary table under the spindle and then mounted my fixture plate to it. Using the center drill that I had drilled the bushing, which I had turned to fit the hole in the top of the frame, I was able to center the top of the frame. With things slightly loose at the top, the base (which was already flattened), the base settled into position. Then securely clamped the base down. Got all carried away and figured out how to check the alignment of the top thru the full rotation of the RT with my dial test indicator. Totally unnecessary, but fun to play with! If you look closely at the milling around the circumference of the top you can see the results of my failed attempt from yesterday.

Anyway, I had a rigid setup and was able to mill the circumference of the top to spec.  :whoohoo:

I think I will leave this setup in place and mill the recess for the head and drill the mounting holes. Maybe even mill the bore. That presents another problem which I'll discuss soon.

I hope this explanation makes sense.................I'm not too sure about it myself!  :shrug:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2019, 12:19:30 PM »
Looks to me like you are on the right track  :cheers:

:popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2019, 12:43:47 PM »
Looking great Jim. You must have the extended column on your mill to have that much headroom.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »
Looking great Jim. You must have the extended column on your mill to have that much headroom.

Bill

Admiral and Bill.

Yes, I do have the extended column ................. it's really been paying off on this project.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2019, 03:27:19 AM »
Continuing to move along at my glacial pace.

I needed to bore the casting at 3/4" diameter for a length of 2 1/2". My Sherline boring bits were to short and my Arthur Warner lathe bit was too long, so I ordered a new boring bit from Shars with the intent of cutting it to the length I needed. I had enough Z to pull this operation off by 1/16".  :whoohoo:

!

I was successful and I as far as I can tell the bore is the same diameter for the entire length.

It's even round!

Tooled up with a 3/8" end mill and trued up the top surface..............which was off by a few thou.

Then set up and milled the recess for the cylinder

Next up is drilling the holes for mounting the cylinder.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal