Author Topic: Strictly.... Hot Air  (Read 36296 times)

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Strictly.... Hot Air
« Reply #405 on: June 22, 2020, 04:47:19 PM »
I've discovered that the " construction notes " for the half scale Robinson hot air engine have been misplaced.

There should have been construction notes   :thinking:  I didn't get any   :disappointed:

Jo

Yes Jo, three A4 sheets of them....

Hopefully someone might be able to find them?  A gentleman named Nigel McBurney ( hope I've spelled his surname correctly? )  bought several from me. I dropped out of the scene following my heart attacks, lost track of many friends and contacts.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #406 on: June 22, 2020, 04:50:39 PM »
Managed to make my version without any notes, probably easier to direct any potential builders to threads on here that are likely to have a lot more info

Online Twizseven

« Reply #407 on: June 22, 2020, 08:59:50 PM »
Jo,

Graham has possibly just realised as I have just agreed to have a set of these castings off him

Construction notes would certainly be useful for idiot like me.

I have just printed out each of the views from the .pdf onto A3 sheets so I can try and read the dimensions

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #408 on: June 22, 2020, 09:17:45 PM »
This thread is the construction notes  ;) . My build started here: https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7561.msg181544.html#msg181544

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2020, 12:05:28 AM »
Jo,

Just finished reading all way through and making a few notes on the plans.

Yours looks very good and runs well on that candle.

Colin

Online Twizseven

« Reply #410 on: September 19, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »
Hope to start my Hot Air engine in the not too distant future.

Spent most of last few months finalising the sale of my Dad's house (plus sorting out Pension and Insurance claim stuff for him), am part way through having bathroom completely rebuilt (had to move wall and next week will have to fit new skirting and architraves to the doors, prior to plumber installing everything.), sorted out my machine tooling a little bit (into a Versatool cabinet), helping eldest daughter with her new house and garden, and have almost finished installing a crane to pick up the indexer and rotary tables for the Milling Machine.  At the moment the crane flexes the 48mm vertical steel tube it is mounted on and so needs a further support under the swinging arm.  Material is cut to length and ready for machining.

I have been though this thread again and adding to the notes I have made on the plans.

I notice everyone skips over anything concerning the brass/gunmetal parallel linkage.  Has everyone just spent a number of hours with small files and filed them flat and filed the bosses to a cleaner shape to remove as much of the casting marks as they wish.

Colin

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #411 on: September 19, 2020, 05:50:50 PM »
I notice everyone skips over anything concerning the brass/gunmetal parallel linkage.  Has everyone just spent a number of hours with small files and filed them flat and filed the bosses to a cleaner shape to remove as much of the casting marks as they wish.

Yup that is about it. The actual lengths do not matter  other than the pair of links must be the same distance between the pivots.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #412 on: September 19, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »
Rather than hours with a file you could ream the holes and then mount them on the rotary table and give them a good clean up, not a lot of difference to how I cut mine from solid. A corner radius milling cutter would leave a small internal fillet around the bosses if you want to keep the cast look.

Online Twizseven

« Reply #413 on: September 19, 2020, 07:34:11 PM »
Jo, Jason,

Thank you both for quick responses.  I quite like the idea of the rotary table option but will find something to practice on first.

Colin

Offline ettingtonliam

« Reply #414 on: September 19, 2020, 09:56:02 PM »
I cleaned them up with files and a Dremel, then superglued the link pairs back to back for drilling/reaming.  I've turned some buttons from silver steel to act a filing guides for the bosses.

The rotary table is overthinking the problem a bit IMHO.  :hammerbash: