Author Topic: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5  (Read 28180 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« on: October 13, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
Here's the official start of my PM Research #5 build.

For various reasons I got stalled out on the build of my Parsell & Weed engine. I was just getting to a tricky part (to me) of the build when I drifted away and was hesitant to try and start up where I left off............ without getting my hand back into the whole machining process first. You see........... there's folks that have, for example, 10 years experience, machining metal. Then there's those of us, like myself, that have 1 years experience, 10 times. It's actually worse in my case, in that I only have 1 years experience, 3 times!  :-\  I'll be spending a certain amount of time reading my own past build threads to get the machining gears turning again.

So ok "motormouth" what does any of that have to do with the title of this thread?  :shrug:

Well, thanks to the generosity of Thomas and Terry, I'm now the proud owner of a PM Research Coke Bottle Engine #5 that was getting "re-homed". https://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/steam/steam-engines/steam-engine-5/ It's going to be a great project to help get me back to my machine journey here on MEM. What a great group we have here!

My build will be a little bit slow getting started (to be explained soon), but I can still get plenty done before actually cutting metal.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Flyboy Jim's PM Research #5
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 05:52:53 PM »
What are waiting for? lets get going!  :lolb:
Looking forward to following along Jim.

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »
Lets start this easy Jim, how about you show us your castings  :stickpoke:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 06:14:08 PM »
Popcorn is ready.....

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »
Lets start this easy Jim, how about you show us your castings  :stickpoke:

Jo

No Problem. Here you go Jo:  :)

So here's my tale of woe:

About the middle of August I fell off my motor scooter (unfortunately is was moving at the time) and broke my ankle. Had surgery to put it back together with a splice plate on Aug. 28. Things were going great for the first 5 days and then a staph infection set in. I spent the next 2 weeks in the hospital having 3 surgeries to get rid of the infection. Wasn't real sure during that time if I was going to leave the hospital with my foot still attached or not. Anyway, they were able to close up about half of the 4" (imperial) incision but was left with about a 1" hole in the side of my ankle. Home for 2 weeks and then back in 9 days ago where a plastic surgeon did a "flap procedure" to fill in the hole. So far so good. That brings me to where I'm at now. The good news is that the bone has been healing all this time.

Right now I have to keep my foot elevated most of the time, but as soon as I can have my foot down for extended times I can get to work in my soon to be set up sit down machine shop. Should be easy with my Sherline equipment.

I'm excited to get going on this new adventure!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 07:42:28 PM »
Ow man - I mean, the bones can be bad enough, but the infection can be a real killer (in more ways than one)  :(

I hope that you get well soon and back to normal mobility  :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »
Ouch!

Better that you waited for the flap procedure than just filling it with JB Weld....

Hope the rest of the healing goes well!   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 08:09:44 PM »
Hello Jim,

Man some people will do almost anything to keep from having to take out the garbage... :lolb:

Stay off the foot until you are really ready.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 10:33:53 PM »
Yowsa!  I was just about to leave you a "Good to see you getting back in the shop" post.  But now I'll change it to "It's good to hear your mending well!"

Take care and don't get ahead of yourself.

But when you're ready, I'll be here, popcorn in hand, ready to cheer you on with the Coke Bottle engine!   :popcorn:

Hopefully, you'll be back with both feet on the ground soon!
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 10:59:52 PM »
Ouch! I shattered my right heal bone in a car wreck back in 1997 so I have an idea what you are going through.
Had a compound fracture and there was some concern about blood flow to the flap. fortunately it healed up ok. I did end up getting it fused a year or so later due to the pain that just never got any better.
After the fusion it hasn't given me any trouble at all.

Rest easy and take care.
Dave 

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 12:15:43 AM »
Oh man, what a bummer Jim. Hope the healing continues well. Looking forward to your #5 build when you can get to it. Hoping I can get back to mine soon too.

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 07:25:15 AM »
About the middle of August I fell off my motor scooter
That was a daft thing to do Jim  :facepalm:

While you are recovering you will have plenty of time to do some real casting fondling and we can all look forward to seeing swarf sign  :)

Jo

P.S. Surus wanted me to mention he does not count that photo as a photo of your castings  :ShakeHead:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
Thank you guys and lady for the well wishes. Also for the gentle reminders not to over do it until healed. I shall make a point of re-reading those comments each morning.......especially now that I'm starting to feel a little friskier each day.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 03:18:43 PM »
Hi Jim,

Your account of the event and the follow up makes me cringe! At least you are still warm and breathing! And you have a very positive outlook.

Good on you.

Take care.

John

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »
Hi Jim,

Your account of the event and the follow up makes me cringe! At least you are still warm and breathing! And you have a very positive outlook.

Good on you.

Take care.

John

Thanks John.

I've learned a couple of things from this ordeal. 1). Infection, on this level, can be a really bad thing and 2). When they tell you before surgery that 1 in 1000 can get an infection from the procedure...........you can actually be that 1000th person.  :(

Not to get all "philosophical", but this is one of those times in life I'm forced to sit back, take stock, and decide what I want to do with the rest of my life. I don't think I'm unique in this. I've sensed the same thing in reading between the lines in a lot of threads. Participating in a forum like MEM, where folks just "keep on keeping on", is better than any medication the doctors can prescribe.

Jim

PS: I'm sure by now folks are really hoping my engine kit shows up so I'll actually post something engine related!  :shrug:
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal