Author Topic: Young blood? I wish!  (Read 929 times)

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Young blood? I wish!
« on: October 14, 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
Hi all,
My name is Lee and I live in Illogan, Cornwall, UK. I am totally new to the world of model engines. I have set myself the challenge of building a working scale model of a 1930 Austin Seven engine. I am teaching myself to design the moulds for the engine using a 3D cad programme. I am also watching many youtube video's about lathe and milling work as well as video's on casting the parts I need. I haven't decided on the scale of the engine yet, I thought I had settled on 1/3rd but 1/2 seems an easier option for me. I think my next purchase will be a 3D printer, I need to see this little engine in the flesh! after that a lathe and mill. I am undecided on whether to buy machines made by Proxxon ( Brimarc assure me that the tools are made in Germany ) or machines made by Sieg, a Chinese company. I haven't heard back from one of the Sieg dealers about the quality of the machines. I don't think it worth me buying second hand machines as I wouldn't know how to check them out. I would like to make the block, head and crankshaft from cast iron, but that seems a bit daunting. I am now thinking that to make an engine block in aluminium with cast iron 'wet' liners could be worth considering. It would make the casting process simpler. I am fortunate to have two fairly detailed full size drawings of the engine, and also a real engine I can measure.
Lee

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Young blood? I wish!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 08:57:04 PM »
The proxxon stuff is likely to be a bit small especially their mills, the larger lathe may just be OK for a 1/3rd scale engine. Sieg will be upto the job. Try ARC Eurotrade rather than the more local Axminster

You may be interested in this thread

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,7622.0.html

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK

Offline A7er

• Cornwall, UK
Re: Young blood? I wish!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 09:47:44 PM »
Jasonb Thanks for the info on the Proxxon, I have seen the Sieg on youtube and it seemed better than other lathes from China. Thats a very neat engine!
pgpoo1 An A7 engine with wet liners, just what I asked for!
Lee

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal