Author Topic: Tilt-Tower  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: Tilt-Tower
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 01:23:37 AM »
Thomas--I have had trouble with my back for the last five years or so. Really bad pain after standing at the lathe or mill for a day. Have actually worked the last couple of years machining while setting on a stool, but my back still hurt like blazes. I never lived a real strenuous life. Fifty years of work setting at a drafting table or a computer terminal. And for the last ten years, I've known I was just too damned fat!! I got a bad blood test last may, blood sugar too high, crossed over into diabetic land. That decided me it was time to come to grips with my weight and actively do something about it. So--I gave up my two great loves, donuts and chocolate bars, and started my "Fat man walks". These walks almost killed me when I first started them, but I persevered. A mile a day, 1/2 mile uphill and 1/2 mile back down. My goal was to lose 50 pounds by November. The walks have gotten a lot easier, and I've dropped 37 pounds since May.--The upshot of this is that my back doesn't kill me now when I have a day of machining. I'm still finding my way with this, and I don't really know if I'll drop 50 pounds by the end of November, but it a great thing to spend a day machining and not have to spend the evening sucking back Tylenols and leaning on a heating pad.---Brian

Hello Brian,

I sure know what you are talking about at the end of a day wanting some relief. I am really paying close attention to everything that I do now and how I do it along with my back exercise I haven't had to take an Aspirin in weeks now. OK I have slowed down a lot, but I sure do feel better. Hang in there with the diet and glad you are feeling a lot better.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
Hello everyone,

Little more progress on the Tilt Tower assembly. Got the Counterweight Leg mounted on to the Base Unit and the Bearings bolted in place. The actual Tower will bolt on top of the plate that is above the round rod and the Arm when all of this is moved and installed outside. Now all that is left to do is finish the "flip-latch" system on the Base Plate and complete the second safety latch.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48:57 PM »
Add a big spring and fling pumpkins with it?   :Jester:

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
Add a big spring and fling pumpkins with it?   :Jester:

Hello Chris,

:Lol: Chances would be good that I could sling a pon-kin clear across the lake....however not real sure how long the Tower would last doing that  :LittleDevil:.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »
Long range radio tower and short range trebuchet!  Talk about killing two birds with one stone pumpkin!

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:54 PM »
Long range radio tower and short range trebuchet!  Talk about killing two birds with one stone pumpkin!

Hello Bent,

Well I'm not sure about slinging the pumpkins, that was Chris's idea, but I might hang one on the top for Halloween.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have uploaded Part-06 video to my youtube channel showing the completion of the Tilt-Tower assembly. The video also shows the design and operation of the Flip-locking Device that holds the Tower in the vertical position. As soon as I can get two good weather days this unit can be moved and installed on the concrete base.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLE9MadZIQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLE9MadZIQ</a>
Thomas

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2019, 10:39:35 PM »
Sneak Preview   8)
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 10:56:48 PM »
Very cool setup!

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2019, 11:54:38 PM »
Very cool setup!

Hello Chris,

Thank you. This is around 3:pm and I got started just after 7:am this morning but wound up getting a whole lot more completed than I had expected. My neighbor and friend Paul came over with his tractor and did all the lifting and help with the assembly so it went faster. After some piddle things to do, next will be to add the weights, and then the Tower will be fully functional.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 09:14:58 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have uploaded video Part - 7 showing the Ham Radio Tilt-Tower now installed on the base and fully operational. It requires almost no effort to lower / raise and is super smooth.

Have a great day,
Thomas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ--cz4QqRQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ--cz4QqRQ</a>
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
Great job on the tower and the math behind it!

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 11:02:40 PM »
Great job on the tower and the math behind it!

Hello Chris. Well I am wore out, the last two days has been all steam ahead trying to get all this work completed before the weather turns bad. Paul was such a huge help and with his tractor it was fairly easy to get the Tower assembly all put together. I am most pleased with the end results.

Thank you and have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 11:14:05 PM »
Looks and works terrific Thomas. Well done!  :ThumbsUp:

I bet you're getting anxious to start using those new radios.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 12:08:55 AM »
Looks and works terrific Thomas. Well done!  :ThumbsUp:

I bet you're getting anxious to start using those new radios.

Jim

Hello Jim,

Yep, I bought two more HF radios this week they are both Ten-Tec by brand. Good ole made in the USA equipment and cannot wait to get them. I have to wait for the extra weights before I can install the new vertical antenna then I can start to burn the airways :LittleDevil:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal