Author Topic: Tilt-Tower  (Read 2840 times)

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Tilt-Tower
« on: October 06, 2019, 05:12:20 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just cannot sit still and do nothing so I have started to work on building a Tilt-Tower base for my Ham Radio aluminum tower. The majority of the work can be done with the various parts on some saw horses and I can use my roll-around chair and be able to sit down to do most of the fabrication and welding.

My tower now is set up to be a “lay-over” style and that requires quite a bit of preparation and me climbing part way up the tower. This new Tilt-Tower will allow me to lower and raise the Tower by simply unlatching a couple of devises while standing on the ground. The whole “unit” will be balanced so it will be really safe and require almost no effort to operate.

When completed I will attach the current aluminum tower to the new system which will raise the overall tower by 6–feet in height and it will be installed on the current concrete footing. The overall height will then be just under 43-feet. I am attaching a pdf drawing of the unit and I have uploaded several construction videos to my Youtube channel.

Have a great day,
Thomas

Thomas

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Tilt-Tower
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I am pleased you could find something to occupy your time without undue strain. That's a mighty impressive tower BTW.

Cheers

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 07:11:47 PM »
Hi Thomas,

I am pleased you could find something to occupy your time without undue strain. That's a mighty impressive tower BTW.

Cheers

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you, it is working out pretty good, those are some steel saw horses and they are adjustable in height which makes it very handy. One of my good friends is going to bring his tractor with a frontloader over here when it is time to stand the Base up and attach the tower. Sure feels good to be working in the shop.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 06:04:03 PM »
Hello everyone,

OK, got all the fabrication and welding completed on the Base and applied the second coat of paint. Now I need to wait a couple of days to allow the paint to completely cure out and if the weather allows get all this assembled outside.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

toolznthings

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 01:33:09 AM »
Cool looking project there, Travis !!   :ThumbsUp:

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 01:48:42 AM »
Cool looking project there, Travis !!   :ThumbsUp:

Hello Brian,

Thank you, it has given me something to keep busy and work in the shop. I hope to get it all assembled and in working order sometime next week.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 02:44:01 AM »
Shaping up well. Your shop elves will be broadcasting pretty soon!

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »
Shaping up well. Your shop elves will be broadcasting pretty soon!

Hello Chris,

Well they have a lot of work to complete before keying the mike. Yesterday I received a new antenna via UPS and the BIG main parts bag inside the box had busted open and what appeared to be close to a million (not really) tiny screws and nuts along with a bunch of other small parts were loose.  :'(  Boy what a mess!  :facepalm:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
Hopefully they are all steel (not stainless), and you can sweep them up with a magnet?

Are you going to be motorizing the erecting winch?

Impressive!  And all that just to broadcast your advertisement for a project car for sale!  Good luck and stay healthy, Thomas  ;)

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »
Hopefully they are all steel (not stainless), and you can sweep them up with a magnet?

Are you going to be motorizing the erecting winch?

Impressive!  And all that just to broadcast your advertisement for a project car for sale!  Good luck and stay healthy, Thomas  ;)

Hello Bent,

No, they were all Stainless and it took me several hours to get them all sorted out. I am about half completed on the assembly and hope to finish by this afternoon.

No motor, this is  an "equal weight" design. That is "A" equals "B", where "A" is the length and weight passed the fulcrum point, the Tower portion and "B" is the length and weight beyond the fulcrum, the Counterweight. All I will have to do to lower the Tower is release two (2) safety latches and start it to move downward, the motion will take over and it will continue to lower until I stop it. The reverse to raise it back to vertical, sure saves on the ole back.

No advertisement on the Ham Radio, I am just updating my entire Radio Room and Equipment. I have been a Ham since the 80's and now I will have more time to "rag-chew".

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 08:10:18 PM »
If you lived up north here, you would need adjustable counterweights to handle ice/snow loads on the tower. Down there, guess you just have to make sure no cows climbed up it...   :Jester:

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 09:16:04 PM »
If you lived up north here, you would need adjustable counterweights to handle ice/snow loads on the tower. Down there, guess you just have to make sure no cows climbed up it...   :Jester:

Hello Chris,

:Lol: :LittleDevil: :ROFL: :lolb: :Jester:

Just for your information, the Elves are working on a Cow Guard right now.... :thinking:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 10:12:06 PM »
I want to know--If your back was so sore that you couldn't finish the antique automobile clone, what are you doing with a full on fabrication project? :) :)

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »
I want to know--If your back was so sore that you couldn't finish the antique automobile clone, what are you doing with a full on fabrication project? :) :)

Hello Brian,

Well my good neighbor has done all the heavy lifting and 99% of the welding I did while sitting on my butt  :ROFL:

My little adjustable roll around chair allows me to sit comfortably at different heights so the welding is really not that bad. Under normal conditions this would be about a 3 day project, but I have been messing with this for a couple of weeks now. I am being very careful and taking it easy.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2019, 11:54:30 PM »
Thomas--I have had trouble with my back for the last five years or so. Really bad pain after standing at the lathe or mill for a day. Have actually worked the last couple of years machining while setting on a stool, but my back still hurt like blazes. I never lived a real strenuous life. Fifty years of work setting at a drafting table or a computer terminal. And for the last ten years, I've known I was just too damned fat!! I got a bad blood test last may, blood sugar too high, crossed over into diabetic land. That decided me it was time to come to grips with my weight and actively do something about it. So--I gave up my two great loves, donuts and chocolate bars, and started my "Fat man walks". These walks almost killed me when I first started them, but I persevered. A mile a day, 1/2 mile uphill and 1/2 mile back down. My goal was to lose 50 pounds by November. The walks have gotten a lot easier, and I've dropped 37 pounds since May.--The upshot of this is that my back doesn't kill me now when I have a day of machining. I'm still finding my way with this, and I don't really know if I'll drop 50 pounds by the end of November, but it a great thing to spend a day machining and not have to spend the evening sucking back Tylenols and leaning on a heating pad.---Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal