Author Topic: What is it?  (Read 821 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
What is it?
« on: October 04, 2019, 03:29:53 AM »
My co-worker works for an auction outfit and occasionally brings in the odd item. This is what he had this week.

This was bead blasted and tumbled, cleaned up quite nicely. The end with the pulley spins and has an oiling hole. The threads look like some sort of collet, the other end is spring loaded and looks to have center drilled center. Anybody have a clue?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 06:04:09 AM »
Bobbin winder frame from an old sewing machine.

:shrug:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline RayW

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 10:58:00 AM »
Like Pete says! Probably from a Singer machine or similar. Have a look at this picture:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxP9VXvVl2UfYDpaYb4nkMEsR4BCkt5Zj3ckbut8XToM4IOu6EWw
Ray

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 11:09:37 AM »
Almost certainly a bobbin winder.from a very old, pre-electric, treadle or hand cranked sawing machine.

My wife says she hand cranked her mother's sawing machine for hours on end, when she was a wee small girl.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
Thanks guys I knew someone would recognize it, mystery solved, for now....
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 01:51:28 AM »
My grandmother's treadle powered machine got a lot of use and I sometimes provide the power but I mostly remember it as my first contact with things mechanical almost 80 years ago.  Not just the treadle and crank, but the flywheel and the dog clutch.  Lots of great stuff to entertain a 4 year old engineer.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal