Author Topic: Mk 3 Quorn!  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Bobsmodels

Re: Mk 3 Quorn!
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2019, 05:55:12 PM »
I acquired a Quorn more or less complete, it has an odd ball collet taper, the guy that sold it to me had no idea what it was. I took all sorts of measurements and could not figure it out.  Gary Martin sells the Quorn castings so I purchased a new tool holder from him, he also has a 5C/R8 tool holder available.  It like other projects is on the shelf awaiting a build slot.

Bob

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2019, 01:56:07 AM »
Ok  I got the drawing set, and instructions, and operators guide.   Nice package!   Very well laid out, and instructive

I didn't read it cover to cover, but there are numerous alternative set up discussions, pictures and documented operations instructions for machining the more complicated bits

The column comes with the fast thread and the vertical groove machined into it already when you buy the kit

The redrawn drawings are 3rd angle projection and very well done in color and CAD.   Easy to read  11 x 17 sheets.

By all accounts, it's pretty much the same MkII unit, though the documentation is better and it's better in details.   It also goes into depth on how to set up the grinder, and has methods and tooling not available before to make set up easier to do

The spindles are ER spindle nose, which I think is a really good idea.

I wish it had an air spindle, but I think if you do a good job you could get away without one.   

I don't have any need to gash solid blanks into custom end mills, so the spiraling attachment doesn't really interest me....  I also don't need to sharpen saw blades, though gear cutters are on the docket

They approach lathe tools by holding square HSS blanks in ER round collets....which made me cringe a little, but for light cuts, it would probably work just fine...though I'd avoid cranking the nut down very tight with those!

It's clear to me that a lot of work went into the update, and the quality and utility of the finished device has seemingly improved!...

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline TURK122

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 08:52:10 AM »
I remember reading somewhere an article about using an old lathe with the grinding wheel mounted in the chuck and if i remember  correctly  a small modification to the toolpost to grind HSS lathe tool. If anyone can if anybody could redirect me to this article it would be much appreciated as I'd like to read it again.
Thanks
Steve

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal