Author Topic: Vehicle Crime  (Read 1016 times)

Offline RayW

Vehicle Crime
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:01:15 PM »
Back from a great holiday in our motorhome (RV), only to have some low-life scum try to steal it from our drive, right under our bedroom window.
Both cab doorlocks have been pushed in leaving considerable damage. Strangely, although the would be thieves had managed to unlock both doors, they apparently didn't try to open them, possible having noticed the stickers on the windows warning that the vehicle is fitted with an alarm. because as soon as I opened the drivers door, the alarm went off.
We are now going through all the hassle and stress of dealing with police, insurers and repairers, so my heart is not really in getting back in the workshop at the minute. I will report progress on the Sphinx in due course.

Ray

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Vehicle Crime
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:47 PM »
I feel for you Ray  :(

Be thankful the police showed any interest, they often just give me a crime number over the phone and nothing happens :wallbang:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 12:55:03 PM »
It seems strange to damage both door locks when one would do the trick, It is odd that they went to all that trouble and risk waking someone and then didn't open a door.
I would be on the lookout for a return visit and maybe have another line of defence organised like disabling the engine somehow, or leave an Alsation in the cab.  :Lol:

Phil

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »
Bad luck Ray,

Must have been a unbelievable inept burglar. As I understand it, most door lock mechanism control rods are located to the rear of the door handle, not below it.

Your only consolation is that you have two doors to replace, rather than the whole motorhome and contents.

Look on the bright side

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline RayW

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 02:19:14 PM »
Thanks all for your kind comments. I have now increased security devices on the vehicle and am looking into other security measures such as CCTV. I even slept in the camper last night just in case they came back.
Fortunately, the central locking and alarm system are still fully functional. Although the doors can be unlocked by activating the mechanism through the holes where the locks were, the alarm will still go off if either cab door is opened
Ray

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
Ray

I can understand just how you feel. A robbery or an attempted robbery completely undermines and destroys your faith in society and your fellow beings. You are constantly on guard listening for the slightest sound or movement. Not a nice experience.

Hope your security arrangements deter another attempt. A friend of mine immobilises his motorhome in a very obvious way each winter, he removes one road wheel and replaces it with an axle stand, he says he hopes that will deter the scum from attacking the door locks.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 04:04:20 PM »
Hi Ray.

We've had CCTV running for several years here, had many an item stolen from off the yard. Since its installation I'm glad to report that nothing has been taken since. Make the cameras as " visible " as possible with a prominent sign, it's a tremendous deterrent I can tell you!

I hope it doesn't slow you down for too long Ray, I'm eagerly awaiting the final chapter on your Sphinx engine. Oh, and before I forget, the Brass foundry phoned this morning saying that the only badge I had is useable as a pattern.

Cheers Graham.

Offline RayW

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 04:50:17 PM »
Been to see a second bodywork repair shop today who were optimistic that they should be able to panel beat the damaged areas back into shape without the need to re-skin or replace the doors completely. Once they have done that, they will be able to fit new locks, and I have also agreed with them to fit tough protective metal plates around the locks to prevent repeated attacks of this type.

Thanks, Graham, for your comments about the effectiveness of CCTV. It is definitely a priority now and I am in the process of getting in touch with some companies to get quotes.

Once again, thanks to everybody for their sympathetic comments.

Ray

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 02:10:42 AM »
Ray,
In my neighborhood leaving the car door unlocked seems to be a written invitation to have your car ransacked. Once about ten years ago my wife and I were sitting downstairs watching tv and we heard footsteps upstairs. The person who regularly stays at our home and has a key wasn't expected for 2 weeks. I put on my shoes took the steps 3 at a time. He came around the corner & out the back door 3 steps head of me. I had visions of being clothes lined by the pine tree in the yard and when he threw something down in the front yard I stopped chasing him and picked up my wife's laptop and charging cord he dropped in the from yard. I don't leave anything unlocked unless I'm in view of the door. I don't have any security system though, a camera is a tempting idea though.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline RayW

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:22:46 AM »
Hi Art,
That must have been pretty scary, actually coming face to face with the intruder. I certainly never leave any of my vehicles unlocked when I am out in sight of them. Even if I just leave my car on the drive to pop indoors for a few seconds, I still lock it.
Some years ago I used to keep a small trailer at the side of our bungalow. One day my wife heard repeated knocking at the front door and could see from behind our bedroom curtains a traveller type male at the door and a car parked on the road at the end of our drive with the bonnet(hood) open, as if broken down. As she was on her own in the house, she did not open the door but continued watching from the bedroom, only to see the man disappear around the side of the house. Suspecting that he was heading for the trailer, she bravely went out and found him starting to move it. When asked what he was doing, he claimed that his "friend Paul from across the road said he could borrow I!"
My wife told him that we didn't know anyone of that name and told him to leave before she called the police. Fortunately, he did so, returning to the car and driving off with the two equally shady looking traveller type women and their child who were with him.
Our only regret was that my wife was so shaken by the incident that she did not manage to take note of the vehicle registration number.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:27:51 AM by RayW »
Ray

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal