Author Topic: U.S.N. Picket Boat No. 1 1864  (Read 12647 times)

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
Fantail Stern
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
The fantail stern on this boat is difficult to frame and plank, so the designer cut to the chase and provided three solid pieces to shape the stern.

The rudder post was put in place to correctly position the fantail planking.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
Re: U.S.N. Picket Boat No. 1 1864
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2019, 02:30:08 PM »
Hello John,

That is going to be a beautiful hull/boat and enjoying this build.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2019, 07:15:08 PM »
Thanks Thomas,

I'm beginning to enjoy this build as well now that the planking is finished. Looking forward to getting that steam plant aboard.

The bow deck adds much to the look of the model. The covering boards will also add a lot when they are mounted to cover the bulkhead ends.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2019, 07:56:39 PM »
The boat is really starting to take shape now John and we get an idea about the finished shape  :cheers:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2019, 08:11:21 PM »
Still following along John. It's really coming together nicely!!!

Bill

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Nice, once the cover boards are installed it will look a lot more solid as well.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
Thanks Guys.

Yes Mike, the covering boards went in quite well and, as you say, strengthened the hull.

The trim boards also added a lot. Not only did they cover the edge of the covering boards, they cast nice shadows under the edge.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Rudder Assembly
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2019, 05:50:06 PM »
Wise use of the telescopic aluminum tubing is used on this model. The sizes are 1/8, 3/32 and 1/16".

The bearings are made from the 1/8" size. The rudder is attached to a 2" piece of 3/32" tube. It was suggested to use a pin to secure the lower end to the keel, but I chose to make a bearing out of the 1/8" size.

The 1/16" tube is glued into the rudder shaft to secure the top end in place and run up to the tiller.

You can see that a little more filler is in order in a couple of spots on the hull.

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Propeller Shaft Raceway
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »
But before the rudder can be fastened in place, I wanted to ensure that the propeller raceway was free and clear.

A 1/8" aircraft drill did the job. I was pleased to see it come into the bulkhead dead on. Hopefully it will be at the steam engine's takeoff fitting height.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
Now that's some accurate drilling John! Love the drill.............I have a couple of those myself.

This project is really coming along. :ThumbsUp:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2019, 09:46:00 PM »
Hi Jim,

Thanks. Yes, those longer drills are wonderful.

I'm not really that good with drilling that hole Jim. It was already laser cut prior to framing. The webs were also cut out once the slot was reinforced. I was just making sure the raceway was clear and good to go.

Cheers...John

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
The Rudder
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2019, 01:46:41 AM »
The rudder tapers fore to aft. The round groove at its back edge to accommodate the rudder shaft was milled on the milling machine.

It just didn't look right having this rudder appear to be one large piece of wood. It probably was made up of boards jointed together, cut to a pattern and reinforced with iron straps.

A small thing that probably won't be seen at all from viewing distance, but it was enjoyable to go through its construction mentally as if you were building it and make it appear that way.  :)

I think that's why many of us enjoy modelling so much.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: The Rudder
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2019, 01:52:18 AM »
The rudder tapers fore to aft. The round groove at its back edge to accommodate the rudder shaft was milled on the milling machine.

It just didn't look right having this rudder appear to be one large piece of wood. It probably was made up of boards jointed together, cut to a pattern and reinforced with iron straps.

A small thing that probably won't be seen at all from viewing distance, but it was enjoyable to go through its construction mentally as if you were building it and make it appear that way.  :)

I think that's why many of us enjoy modelling so much.

I agree John. It's those details that change a model from a nice model to an excellent model! Well done.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline J.L.

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2019, 08:57:07 PM »
Thanks Jim.

The third coat of paint has been applied to the hull. I'm rather glad that I did not go overboard (sorry for the pun) with filler on this hull. The grain of the planks and the seams still show through and there are imperfections here and there.

Otherwise, I would have wound up with a 'plastic' looking smooth hull.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2019, 08:58:34 PM »
That's a pretty hull shape!.....Nice tight turn of the bilge amidships as well.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal