Engines > From Kits/Castings

U.S.N. Picket Boat No. 1 1864

(1/31) > >>

J.L.:
The Picket Boat No. 1 has been built countless times and the construction threads posted often on the Nautical Research Guild's Ship World Forum.
But I wish to begin with the construction of the steam power machinery for the boat.  The engine was probably built by the Clute Bro's Co. of Schenectady, New York. The Clute brothers were one of the country's earliest manufacturers of steam power machinery. They built steam locomotion for marine use as well as railroad engines.

This engine is a single cylinder condensing type of approximately 7" stroke and a piston diameter of 8".

The scale is 1:24

The kit is offered by Model Shipways.

b.lindsey:
Great to see you back on another new project and this one looks to be a most interesting one!!

Bill

J.L.:
Thanks Bill.

It's good to be back.

This steam launch was engaged in perhaps the most famous naval engagement of the Civil War.

More details on that later. You can actually read much of its history on the lid of the kit box in the first photo.

John

crueby:
Great looking boat, watching along!   :popcorn:

mklotz:
It's great to see you back, John.  I always follow your builds closely and this one promises to be great fun.  In my youth I built a number of ship models so your subject is close to my heart. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version