Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44563 times)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #405 on: December 09, 2019, 08:54:08 PM »
Not sure I could afford the cost of the expense report the elves would try and file!  ...wait guys, whats this 'Corvette Rental' line?? ...

At least they haven't thought to try bribing the rental guy into listing it as an "Economy Sedan upgrade" - at least not yet.  That one would probably fly right under the radar.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #406 on: December 12, 2019, 12:41:51 AM »
Not much time on the winding engine recently, tis the time of year to get sidetracked on other projects, holiday stuff, etc.  I did get back in the shop for a while today and prepped the stock for the throttle/reversing valve assembly - turns out that I had used up the last of the 1.5" x .5" bar stock, so a little last minute re-figuring to make the valve body out of 1" wide bar instead. It will work the same, just have slightly narrower slots and slider parts. Here are the bars cut out/trimmed to size, cut in a thinner section around the edge of the lid too:

The middle block is longer than the others, it will get a boss in the end for the valve rod gland. Got the layout done for the steam chest, next will start drilling/milling out the center of that:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #407 on: December 12, 2019, 08:57:13 PM »
Chain drilled the opening in the steam chest for the throttle valve,

and milled it out to size:

Next step is to drill/tap the mounting holes around the edge...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #408 on: December 14, 2019, 07:16:07 PM »
Yesterday was Christmas tree hunting day (was able to stalk down a good one  :Lol: ) but back in the shop today. Got the holes drilled/tapped around the edge of the steam chest for the throttle valve:

and also drilled the passage holes through the base piece. The screw holes only go halfway through so they dont interfere with the passages.

Need to drill one more steam inlet hole in the side of the middle piece, and drill for the valve rod too. Then I will start on the ports in the face of the bottom piece.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #409 on: December 14, 2019, 08:29:16 PM »
And some fun on the side - like I did with some of the parts on the engines for the Marion build, I had the engine block for the Stanley engine (next project in the pipeline - okay, that pipeline leaks a bit) 3D printed in plastic. It comes in handy for complex shapes like this that will be carved out of a solid chunk of steel, for keeping track of which side is which when looking at the 2D paper plans, and figuring out the order of cuts so it can be held securely for the rest of the operations.

My mother was over yesterday, part of the tree hunting trip. She saw that piece, and while explaining it I dug the ones from the Marion out of the drawer. She took one look, and said they would make nice ornaments for the tree. Yup! Great idea! So I gave them a quick spray of red and gold paint, added some string and hooks:

Great use for the leftover test pieces, plastic so they are lightweight, better than sitting in a drawer. In the lower right is the Lombard ornament - had a pile of them printed last year to hand out to the crew and visitors at the museum, its a mini version of the weathervane I had waterjetted for the Lombard barn.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #410 on: December 14, 2019, 08:34:04 PM »
Hey Chris

What is the print technology on the Stanley cylinder? Looks suspiciously like the the parts from a HP Multi Jet Fusion printer.
We have a new one in the shop at work that I have been learning to run.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #411 on: December 14, 2019, 08:44:41 PM »
Hey Chris

What is the print technology on the Stanley cylinder? Looks suspiciously like the the parts from a HP Multi Jet Fusion printer.
We have a new one in the shop at work that I have been learning to run.

Dave
Thats exactly what it is! I had them printed at a place called JawsTec.com, they have the MJF printers (and SLS too). I've found thier prices better than places like Shapeways, though the material choices are fewer. All the parts in the photos are from there. Very handy for visualizing the parts while laying out big chunks of bar stock, and pretty cheap. The Lombard ornaments, being just a thin piece, were only about $1.75 apiece, so I had a bagful made to hand out at the museum. The Stanley block was around $20. I've had fins for some of the RC subs made that way too, though the glass filled nylon they were made with were tough to sand smooth, but very strong in thin sections. These parts are the plain nylon.For those who have not looked up this kind of printing, it is not done with spools of plastic 'wire' like most of the home ones, it is done with a powdered plastic, spread out thin and heated to fuse the powder, then a new layer laid down and process repeated. Once done, the un-fused powder is shaken out and can be reused. This way, there is no need to do partial fills on solid areas, it can be made as a solid block if you want. Quite strong parts, especially in the glass-filled nylon version. Amazing technology - someday may have a machine at home, the technology is still developing so fast I am waiting.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 08:50:36 PM by crueby »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #412 on: December 14, 2019, 08:46:50 PM »
And some fun on the side - like I did with some of the parts on the engines for the Marion build, I had the engine block for the Stanley engine (next project in the pipeline - okay, that pipeline leaks a bit) 3D printed in plastic. It comes in handy for complex shapes like this that will be carved out of a solid chunk of steel, for keeping track of which side is which when looking at the 2D paper plans, and figuring out the order of cuts so it can be held securely for the rest of the operations.

My mother was over yesterday, part of the tree hunting trip. She saw that piece, and while explaining it I dug the ones from the Marion out of the drawer. She took one look, and said they would make nice ornaments for the tree. Yup! Great idea! So I gave them a quick spray of red and gold paint, added some string and hooks:

Great use for the leftover test pieces, plastic so they are lightweight, better than sitting in a drawer. In the lower right is the Lombard ornament - had a pile of them printed last year to hand out to the crew and visitors at the museum, its a mini version of the weathervane I had waterjetted for the Lombard barn.

Hello Chris and also to your Mom,

Ho Ho Ho and an early Merry Xmas.

Thomas
Thomas

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #413 on: December 14, 2019, 09:56:52 PM »
It’s been a few years since I built my last steam chest, your execution looks flawless to me. 

You’re going to have a lot of interest on the Stanley when you start, I’ll be one. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #414 on: December 15, 2019, 03:58:27 PM »
It’s been a few years since I built my last steam chest, your execution looks flawless to me. 

You’re going to have a lot of interest on the Stanley when you start, I’ll be one. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
It will probably get started in a couple of weeks, elves willing!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2019, 04:07:43 PM »
This morning got started on the business end of the throttle valve - the ports. Started by chain drilling them with a .120" drill,

then milling them out to .125" wide,

and then carving in the tapered extensions to the end ports with a dental bur and high speed handpiece:

These tapered sections are what will give the throttle action, as the slider is moved, it will uncover the taper at one end while connecting the center (exhaust) port to the port at the other end. The farther the slider is moved, the more volume of steam/air can get through. The slider will look like a typical D-valve on a normal engine, but with longer ends to cover the tapered sections.

When moved in one direction, this valve will send steam down one of the two passages drilled in the side of the body, and let exhaust back out the other passage. When moved in the other direction the same thing happens, but the steam goes down the opposite passage. This is the key to how the engine works - the 'meaning' of the two passages swaps between steam and exhaust, and the volume goes up as the throttle is moved farther. On the cylinders, the two-level slider and the four ports directs the steam/exhaust out to the cylinder ends. Very similar to how a normal reversing engine works, but without the external linkages and extra eccentrics. Marion did all this inside thier slew/crowd/steering engines using a spool valve rather than a slider for the throttle, but the function is the same as this version.

Next up will be the slider, out of a brass bar. Since this is not moving at engine speeds, this one can be brass rather than bronze - easier to cut from some flat bar rather than the round bronze rod.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #416 on: December 20, 2019, 04:41:14 PM »
Chris:

It's been 5 WHOLE days, the elves go on strike?

Don

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #417 on: December 20, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »
Maybe the elves are moonlighting up at the sweatshop at the north pole working for that fat red walloper? Or picking up holiday pay at the regional Amazon distribution center pulling orders...

-Doug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #418 on: December 20, 2019, 07:24:55 PM »
They had me tied up in the basement, they were watching marathons of old Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph cartoons...  :ShakeHead:

Actually been busy on family stuff and a rc submarine project with another guy in the local club. Should be back to the engine soon. In the meantime, Brian is having fun on his sawmill thread!

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #419 on: December 20, 2019, 08:23:28 PM »
And they forced you to watch THAT!!!   OH you POOR, POOR man.

At least it wasn't 5 days of soap opera re-runs.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal