Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44800 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #285 on: November 12, 2019, 09:39:13 PM »
Damn Dog words fail me, you continue to amaze me with the speed and quality of your work!  I expect nothing less from your stable Chris awesome work......and ..........I................like.......... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #286 on: November 12, 2019, 11:23:35 PM »
Watching with interest Chris  :popcorn: :popcorn:

That’s a chunky flywheel you have there, I was wondering what you were giiong to do about uprights to hold it.  Still don’t understand EXACTLY what you have in mind but I’m sure that will become apparent as this build progresses.   :ThumbsUp:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #287 on: November 12, 2019, 11:30:25 PM »
Watching with interest Chris  :popcorn: :popcorn:

That’s a chunky flywheel you have there, I was wondering what you were giiong to do about uprights to hold it.  Still don’t understand EXACTLY what you have in mind but I’m sure that will become apparent as this build progresses.   :ThumbsUp:
Its a touch over 4 pounds of flywheel with 1.5 inch pistons, so it needs good support. The stack next to the ruler is what the pillars will look like, screwed together from underneath. The two small squares on top are the bearing holders, once shaped. There will be one pillar each side of each crank, like in the drawing in the first post of the thread. Should have first assemblies by Thursday.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #288 on: November 12, 2019, 11:31:23 PM »
Damn Dog words fail me, you continue to amaze me with the speed and quality of your work!  I expect nothing less from your stable Chris awesome work......and ..........I................like.......... :Love:

:drinking-41:
Don

:wine1:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2019, 02:40:24 AM »

Yeah, not usual on a model, have seen some real ones like that, with the two piece bolt together type flywheels. I just thought it looked good there. The outer end of the shaft will get a winding drum, like for a mine hoist. Remember, this is not a scale model of any particular engine, just a made up one similar to the type, so I can do what I like style wise. Nice to go a bit freeform for once!

I like that concept Chris. It enables you to put yourself in the shoes of a designer way back in time. I still remember, and am fascinated by the walking beam engine you built some years back.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2019, 02:56:23 AM »

Yeah, not usual on a model, have seen some real ones like that, with the two piece bolt together type flywheels. I just thought it looked good there. The outer end of the shaft will get a winding drum, like for a mine hoist. Remember, this is not a scale model of any particular engine, just a made up one similar to the type, so I can do what I like style wise. Nice to go a bit freeform for once!

I like that concept Chris. It enables you to put yourself in the shoes of a designer way back in time. I still remember, and am fascinated by the walking beam engine you built some years back.

Jim
That twin beam engine was a big inspiration for this one, the way it will run slow with the big cylinders. Its fun to design an engine from scratch, making all the trade-off decisions.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #291 on: November 13, 2019, 07:53:50 PM »
Hi all,
This fall I was in contact with the Craftsmanship Museum out in California, they had seen pictures of my Marion model and asked for more information on other projects - that grew into an entry on their website:

https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/RuebyChris.htm

Main site page:
https://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/index.html

Very nice group to work with, and a lot of great information on their site. They are always looking for more submissions, there are quite a few members here that should consider talking with them (and some great writeups on a number of current members are already there).
 :cheers: Chris

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #292 on: November 13, 2019, 08:13:31 PM »
Hi all,
This fall I was in contact with the Craftsmanship Museum out in California, they had seen pictures of my Marion model and asked for more information on other projects - that grew into an entry on their website:

Main site page:

Very nice group to work with, and a lot of great information on their site. They are always looking for more submissions, there are quite a few members here that should consider talking with them (and some great writeups on a number of current members are already there).
  Chris

Chris,

Did you contact them or did they contact you?

If the latter, it might have something to do with my meddling.  Sometime ago I contacted them and pointed them to the steam shovel build thread and suggested that they should add you to their coterie of master craftsmen.  I never heard back from them so I presumed they ignored my email.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear that they've added you to their membership; you belong there.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #293 on: November 13, 2019, 09:07:51 PM »
Nice write up, Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #294 on: November 13, 2019, 09:17:42 PM »
Hi all,

Main site page:

Chris

Chris,

Did you contact them or did they contact you?

If the latter, it might have something to do with my meddling.  Sometime ago I contacted them and pointed them to the steam shovel build thread and suggested that they should add you to their coterie of master craftsmen.  I never heard back from them so I presumed they ignored my email.

Regardless, I'm happy to hear that they've added you to their membership; you belong there.
Thanks very much Marv/Kim!
Marv, I contacted them originally with a couple pictures of the shovel project, and they came back asking a lot more questions. It sounded like they had some people change jobs/locations there this past summer so your contact probably got lost in the shuffle. The folks over on the Sherline side were already familiar with some of the work from prior contacts, but I don't think there is a lot of day to day contact between the two organizations, at least since thier founder Joe Martin passed away.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #295 on: November 13, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »
More work done today on the crankshaft support pillars, all the ends were trimmed off and the holes for the screws to hold them together drilled/tapped. These pictures should give a better idea of how they are going together, with some 1-1/2" long 10-32 SHCS in from the bottom.

The smaller square blocks will be drilled/shaped to form the bearing holders/caps, and will screw down onto the top of the pillars. Still need to drill the holes in the corners of the largest bottom blocks to mount them all to the floor plate.

The shape of the pillars and the steps were nothing special, worked out that way from the sizes of the bar stock I had handy - tried different combinations till I found one that was the correct total height.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2019, 12:05:44 AM »
Hi Chris , Love this write up and very interesting career and portfolio of work. Hopefully many more projects will ensue and keep us all enthralled with your skills and workmanship....

Thanks for sharing this with us

Willy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #297 on: November 17, 2019, 10:45:21 PM »
Been a few days since I have done anything on this build, should be back to it in a couple days, sidetracked with some other things like making up switches for the gas Lombards and work on the rc boats...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #298 on: November 18, 2019, 05:46:00 PM »
Got out to LeRoy to the Marion shovel this morning and got the Christmas lights put up - battery powered LED strings along the roof/floor/beam lines, around the tracks, and around the bucket. My ladder would not reach up the boom, so we skipped that for now till we can see how it looks after dark. If it goes well, next year we can arrange for the highway dept to bring out the bucket truck to do the lights all the way up the booms.

Now, just have to wait till it gets dark to see how it all looks - they should show up well since there are no street lights or houses nearby.

Is it dark yet?    Nope, still lunch time.... 

Now?  Nope....

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #299 on: November 18, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
While waiting for sundown to go see the Marion lights, finally got some metal-shop time in today. Drilled the bearing blocks/pillars for the mounting screws:

and drilled/bored the holes in the blocks for the bronze bearings:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal