Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44578 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2019, 11:18:46 PM »
The company that I started out in, back in 1965, made belt conveyors. All of the pulleys that the belts ran on were equipped with "Squeeze-Lock Hubs". That is an old design, that's been around for a long time.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2019, 12:08:23 AM »
The company that I started out in, back in 1965, made belt conveyors. All of the pulleys that the belts ran on were equipped with "Squeeze-Lock Hubs". That is an old design, that's been around for a long time.
And I am sure there are a fair number of variations on the theme, everyone getting around the other guys patents! For such a simple feature, they work amazingly well. I just turned the faces on the second side of the flywheel, with it just held by the taper lock, and had a reference mark on the shaft and hub - it never moved on the shaft.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2019, 12:11:38 AM »
Here is the second side of the flywheel after turning it fair (and spending a fair bit of time cleaning up all the iron chips and dust - boy is that stuff messy! )

Very happy with how the flywheel is turning  ;D out. Now it just needs a little time with the rotary tool to clean off the casting flash at the seam between the halves on the spokes. Then, more time cleaning the bench and lathe, and will be back to milling on the steam chests.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2019, 12:44:36 AM »
Nice work on the flywheel Chris!

Dave

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2019, 04:49:23 AM »
Inquisitive  :facepalm:, so I asked the old machinist how the setup was made?, then watched the boring of the tapered bore in the pulley

The new Fenner Taper Lock bush was fitted onto a precision parallel mandrel in the headstock chuck, then the cross slide back face was pressed to the face of the tapered bush without any undue force

This cross slide angle was then locked & double-checked again with a Roll Your Own Cigarette paper, used as the medium to gauge the visual parallel line imprint between the two, this setup then used to machine the tapered bore in the pulley

The old machinist told the apprentice that the use of the Cigarette paper [less than 0.0015" thick] provided a more effective & accurate setup process than Bluing the face of the Bush & attempting to check for marking & angularity. I also remember a pulley with unacceptable runout that was corrected by the insertion of a Cigarette paper lathered with White Lead paste and placed on the larger diameter of the bush, then tightening  :mischief:

So 55+ years later, this apprentice has never forgotten such teachings, however would never attempt to suggest an old dog needs new tricks  :hammerbash: , but am guessing a similar process was used here?...

Derek
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 05:10:10 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2019, 07:10:40 AM »

The new Fenner Taper Lock bush was fitted onto a precision parallel mandrel in the headstock chuck, then the cross slide back face was pressed to the face of the tapered bush without any undue force

Derek

Would that not need the cross slide to be at or above ctr height of the lathe, most are below that which would give a false angle?

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2019, 09:15:48 AM »
Jason........you ask a valid question, however I have no answer  :headscratch:

After 50+ years, I still remember the older machinists' name was Kenny Forte....[from a British Family Immigrant family]

I can only assume Kenny used possibly a 3/4" square HSS blank [top edge on centre axis] as the reference?...... I don't remember :shrug:

The important lesson was clear ...that the setup + cigarette paper test worked

Derek
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:37:12 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2019, 03:27:37 PM »
A few minutes with the flex shaft and a 3/8" carbide bur cleaned up the flashing on the spokes nicely:

And also got a start chain drilling out the centers of the steam chests:

A few more holes, then will connect the dots with an end mill and smooth up the edges....

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »
Beautiful fly wheel, Chris!
Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »
Thanks Kim, am very happy with how it turned out. Cleaning up all the iron dust, not so much! Used spome glass cleaner and paper towels on all the surfaces around the bench, and a fresh spray of lubricant on the machines, should be good. Next time I will splurge on the bronze version!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2019, 06:42:36 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2019, 06:44:14 PM »
All the chain drilling is done on both parts, so started in with connecting the dots with a small end mill - part is 1/2" thick so it takes two passes to get all the way through. The chain drilling took out the bulk of the material so this step is quick.

Then another round to clean up the edge to dimensions:

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
Hi Chris

:popcornsmall:

Cheers

Rich

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2019, 09:21:34 PM »
Hello Chris,

Now that is a flywheel  :ThumbsUp:, sure will add to the overall looks of the Engine.  :popcorn:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2019, 10:07:13 PM »
Thanks guys! The proportions of that wheel are a good match for the engine.   :cheers: :cheers:

This afternoon got the other chest trimmed out on the inside, and moved on to shaping the lids, just took a notch around the rim of each to leave the center standing proud.

The end of the chest and the sides of the bases are still slightly wider than plan, am going to get the mounting holes drilled then go back and shape in the bosses for the pipes/glands afterwards (leaves most material for clamping in the chuck this way). So, laid out the pattern for the holes, and got the mill table handwheels zeroed in to do all of the drilling - am using the back right corner of the vise as the indexing point, will line up each part flush at that corner so the holes will line up. Having the base off of the cylinder still makes this easy, would have to re-align for the base holes otherwise.

Got the first part spot-drilled, ready for clearance drilling the chests/lids...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal