Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44855 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2019, 12:11:47 AM »
:ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Hi Chris, I noticed you gave no marquee warning about bad puns when you wrote the "on a roll with the flywheel"  :Lol:  Puns should be shameless anyway...... :Jester:

Like the look of the tapered collet to hold the flywheel "in whack" (as opposed to it getting out of whack)  :facepalm:   :cheers:

Isn't that the sound an out of whack wheel makes, whack whack whack...   :LittleDevil:

Kind of surprised how much I got done on the wheel, did notice that the lathe spun quite a while after switching it off !

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2019, 01:26:26 AM »
That's a hunk of a flywheel  :hammerbash:......& from memory a Fenner Taper Lock bush was 8 degrees taper?.....

Do we see a nominal 5 & a bit degrees in the setup??......suppose it dosn't really matter as long as the bush OD taper is made in the same toolpost setup?

50 or so years ago, as an apprentice I installed quite a few Fenner bushes to multi V belt pulleys......all pre-machined components from the machine shop, I did the on-site drilling, tapping & bush fitment [of the chosen ratio].....then checked the runout prior to installation.........from memory the Fenner bushes were painted light blue on the outer faces.......

Or  :facepalm: am I missing something?

Derek
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 01:47:08 AM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2019, 01:56:48 AM »
Ah, never knew the proper name for the taper locks, cool. Can't trust that scale in the setup, the wood riser was not perfectly squared on the table, so I used a protractor to set it. I couldn't remember the proper angle, guessed 6. As you say it should work out with both the same, will just need a little more travel than if 8 to seat it.

:cheers:

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2019, 02:51:52 AM »
Yep....after 50 + years .......still painted light blue on the outer faces.....  :Jester:

Derek
www.ils.org.au

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2019, 03:02:33 AM »
Derek, what is the purpose of the four semicircular recesses around the rim?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2019, 04:29:34 AM »
Going back to earlier discussion of next project, one I want to do is the Stanley engine but I have struggled with how to do the cylinder block with its central steam chest. I was talking with my plans source up in Maine, who gave me an alternate design they did for a spool (piston) valve version. It never went into production, but was only prototyped. It would get around the problems, allowing me to make the cylinders of one piece. So, that one is back on the table....

Back to the current build for now.  :atcomputer:

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2019, 06:01:10 AM »
Chris........I think Fenner took out worldwide Patients many years ago for their "Taper Lock Bushes"

Essentially, 2 holes are for hollow pointed Grub Screws for installation locking between the two tapers, and 1 x Grub Screw tapping for extraction/removal of the bush from the shaft

There are many installation Youtube videos on the net......and these say more than a thousand words............ Derek

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4axK3haQ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4axK3haQ0</a>

https://www.fptgroup.com/Taper-Lock-Bushes/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:24:10 AM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2019, 07:15:40 AM »
I watched one of the YouTube videos.......everything has changed  :thinking:........in this modern world, all is now premade...... now pulleys pre-bored & drilled with the Taper Lock bush for the four [4] drillings/tappings

Back those 50+ years ago, we would requisition a blank/pilot bored pulley + the Fenner taper bush which had one [1] only 1/2 hole pre-drilled against the expansion slot.......send them down to the machine shop who would taper bore the pulley to suit the taper bush....[for older machines, these were flat/crowned pulleys ....for flat belts .....earlier than those new fangeled V Style belt]

Being a 17 year old & too young for a car licence .....I took great pleasure driving a Mini Moke within the grounds of my employer.......down to the Machine Shop to collect machined work

In these cases, the apprentices' job was to set & clamp the Fenner bush in the pulley bore, then drill & tap the sequence of holes & tappings and finally broach the parallel keyway ...if you think about this, to achieve 1/2 a hole as the major diameter, and the other 1/2 a hole drilled for the minor or tapping diameter, we ended up with a six [6] hole bush to pulley relationship....[& two [2] never used]  :insane:

[Pre-drilled 1/2 holes were only available from the Stores Department on special request.......probably along with the bag of Long Weights or the 5/8" UNC left handed Skyhook]  :lolb:

So........I am sure the videos will provide sufficient pre-machining detail....if you get the drift  :Doh:

Derek
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 07:43:17 AM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »
Reminded me of the time I was a brand new apprentice at 16 years old, I was sent down to the foundry from tool inspection to get a long wait. The foundry-man said yes I'll be with you in a moment, after a bit of time passed and I happened to catch the smile on his face and then it dawned on me!

Mike   
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
Reminded me of the time I was a brand new apprentice at 16 years old, I was sent down to the foundry from tool inspection to get a long wait. The foundry-man said yes I'll be with you in a moment, after a bit of time passed and I happened to catch the smile on his face and then it dawned on me!

Mike
:lolb:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »
Chris........I think Fenner took out worldwide Patients many years ago for their "Taper Lock Bushes"

Essentially, 2 holes are for hollow pointed Grub Screws for installation locking between the two tapers, and 1 x Grub Screw tapping for extraction/removal of the bush from the shaft

There are many installation Youtube videos on the net......and these say more than a thousand words............ Derek

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT4axK3haQ0[/youtube1]

https://www.fptgroup.com/Taper-Lock-Bushes/
Ah, now I get how theirs works, that is quite clever!!  So the style I am using, which I learned from Chuck Fellows, is more of a 'modified Fenner' style, with the screws through an outer flange. Neat!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »
Moving along with the mock-Fenner unit, moved over to the mill to drill/tap the holes in the lock and hub.

There are two clearance holes in the lock for 4-40 screws, and one tapped hole in the hub. The hub has the two opposing holes drilled/tapped to match. Those two will be used to tighten the lock. The third hole in the lock takes a screw that just pushes against the hub - with the other two loosened, this screw is used to pop the lock out of the hub, saves using a prybar and nicking up the corners.
With the holes done, I gripped the rim of the lock in the bench vise and sawed a slot through, opposite the removal hole, to let the lock cone flex as it is drawn in to grip the crankshaft.

Here it is tightened up on a bit of the 3/8" stainless rod that the crankshaft will be made out of.

That all looked good, spun it on the lathe while still in the 4-jaw, and the rod ran true, so things must be good to go. Then, took the flywheel hub off the 4-jaw and re-chucked it on the rod, with the un-machined side of the flywheel sticking out. Used my co-axial indicator to center the rod in the 4-jaw.

With the rod centered, the machined faces of the flywheel itself ran nice and true. So, set up the cutter and am ready to face the second side and hub of the flywheel...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »
And, for anyone thinking of picking up a Sherline machine for thier shop elves to play with, in the latest issue of Live Steam magazine Sherline placed an ad in the middle of my Lombard build article, offering a "20% discount off any lathe, mill, DRO, CNC, or machine package configuration. Just mention this ad code: livesteamnd2019" (thier wording, not mine).

I should say that I have no connection to and am not paid in any way by Sherline, just am a user of their machines (which I paid for). I do get paid by the magazine for the articles, but that is not influenced by Sherline.

There, that should satisfy the nasty little legal-gnomes off at the side with their 8.5x14(mm) legal pads!   :Lol:

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2019, 10:31:42 PM »
Fenner Taper Lock bushes were quite a smart device back in their day.....

The Foundry of my employer cast & cut both copper and brass billets for tube extrusion.....the copper required a lower cutting speed - [36" diameter HSS blades {2 TPI}, soluble oil + water for the cutting/cooling fluid]

To achieve the speed variation, the apprentice simply removed a flat belt, changed the drive pulley [differing diameter], installed the alternate length flat belt all 10 or so minutes courtesy of the ease of changeout via the Fenner Lock bushes

I suppose I swapped speeds on the large saw maybe 2 or 3 times a week during my 6 month rotation time at the Foundry......So naturally, the isolation switch was opened, but there were no such things as DANGER tags 50+ years ago 

Derek

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:59:08 AM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

Offline derekwarner

« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2019, 11:07:13 PM »
Chris.....marketers of goods and services pay handsomely for their wares to feature in advertisements on page 3 or 5 of Newspapers etc

Sherline have chosen to pay for advertising space as you say in the middle of your Lombard build in an Independent publication

I think Sherline get an excellent review  :Director: [+ $ return] of their product just by viewing your builds & workshop machinery......

In these days of mass marketing, I see no reason why you do not form a lucrative Commercial relationship with Sherline

Derek
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:12:34 PM by derekwarner »
www.ils.org.au

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal