Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44566 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2019, 09:21:10 PM »
Hi all - just back from a trip up to the Maine Forest & Logging Museum for their 2-day fall event - lots of time driving the three Lombards around (one steam, two gas) the ground, great time! Pictures/videos to follow later.
BUT: got home and called for the elves. No answer. Just lots of mess (oh, we'll be fine Chris, go on your trip! Dont worry about us! ) - Yeah. Right. Should have known...   :facepalm2:
Found this guy in the fridge, must have been looking for more beer...

This one took their truck and tried for a beer run to the corner store, wiped out before making it off the table...

This one got into the bear cage (can't spell, thought the sign said 'beer')

The other two are passed out on/under the Marion shovel...

:shrug:

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2019, 01:11:47 PM »
Man, that Elfensteiner beer is powerful stuff!  :Lol:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2019, 11:15:41 PM »
Now that I am back from Maine, and caught up on the photos/videos/unpacking/relaxing/etc, things can get started on this project again. I just posted a bunch of pictures and videos of the trip over on the Lombard Hauler build thread, here is a copy of that post for easy finding...
------------------------------
I made it back up the the museum in Maine for the 2019 Living History Days event - this year there were four Lombard vehicles present: two steamers and two gas powered trucks. New this year was a 1928 Lombard dump-bed truck, that was owned for years by one of the towns in Maine and used for plowing and construction projects. Quite a bit smaller that then others, but using very similar designs to the others with tracks on the back and wheels up front. With that one there, now I've had the opportunity to drive three different Lombards - quite a lot of fun!

Here is a link to a Google Photos album with a bunch of my pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7o2WVWybweyftKq5

And a video compilation of clips I took over the weekend:

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/IrALArX1nZ0[/youtube1]

Also, here are some more albums and videos that Herb Crosby took:

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/KGiWdVnt53Y[/youtube1]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HnW9vCyKgQeg9ci1A

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/PIsv80RS9so[/youtube1]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QTM19r3xjzicegfL6

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2019, 10:21:48 PM »
Back in the shop again, working on the crosshead guide tubes. Set up the rotary table in vertical mode, with the tailstock supporting the outer end via a brass disc turned to fit into the end of the tube. Made cuts from both sides, the end mill is not tall enough to go all the way down in one set of passes.

This angle shows the flat milled in the bottom of the tube and the flanges, that will let the base sit flush against the tube.

One tube milled, one more to go...

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:14 AM »
Its all looking great Chris. Shows what the sherlines are capable of if time isn't a factor.

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2019, 12:24:42 AM »
Its all looking great Chris. Shows what the sherlines are capable of if time isn't a factor.

Bill
Absolutely. Though I am glad that the guides are brass, cutting the side openings in steel would have taken a lot longer, but still would have been doable.

The crossheads themselves will be bronze I think, assuming bearing bronze on brass is okay?

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2019, 05:35:55 PM »
I've been using the faceplate a lot on these parts, and started noticing that the threads were wearing quickly on it (its an aluminum plate), so recently I ordered a couple of steel ones off Amazon - meant for woodworking lathes but the thread matches the Sherline spindle. The back has a larger diameter section that extends beyond the threads which keep it from engaging on the Sherline, so I reversed the plates on the spindle and turned off the extra section:

The one on the left is turned back, the one on the right is as purchased, you can see the extension above the threads. Turned those parts back, then screwed onto the spindle and took a light truing cut on the faces. These are much heavier than the aluminum one, should give a nice solid mount for future parts.
Now, back to milling the sides off the second crosshead guide tube...

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
And the second crosshead guide tube is milled to shape. Here are the parts so far, cylinder assemblies test bolted together:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »
The crosshead bases have been milled to shape and assembled - screws from the bottom hold them together and to the rings on the crosshead guide. First one is bolted up, second one needs drilling/tapping to the rings, also need to drill the bolt holes to hold them to the base plate (have a chunk of aluminum plate that should work for that).

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2019, 04:38:39 AM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2019, 07:45:02 AM »
what these little machine tools can do is amazing, in true expert hands...great job with these cylinders.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2019, 10:40:54 PM »
what these little machine tools can do is amazing, in true expert hands...great job with these cylinders.

I'll have to agree.  At this point I'm wondering why I upgraded my shop?  I could have just stayed with my mill drill and tired old southbend and gone up to Rochester for some lessons.  :ThumbsUp:

Your work is amazing Chris.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2019, 11:13:14 PM »
Thanks guys! There are definitely times when it would be nice to have a full size lathe/mill, but then I'd have to set up a larger metal shop, which would take away room from the other shops around the house (woodworking, carving, etc). The Sherlines do the job, they may just take longer when munching away on larger blocks like these cylinders (old joke about how to eat an elephant - one bite at a time). They do make for a compact shop in corner of the back room of the house, and with a comfortable chair there is less fatigue than standing at a machine for long stretches:

No work on parts today, was out and about all day taking my mother shopping/lunch/etc. Yesterday I did get the other crosshead guide base finished:

Next steps? I think making and shaping down the piston rod glands in the back cylinder caps. Then probably will mill the flats on the sides of the cylinders for the steam chest base plates. When I get to the crankshafts, I am going to try the way George Britnell showed on his current build, with the crank pin/web cut from one piece then pinned onto the main shaft - looks like a nice way to mix single piece style with a built up crank for this one, which will have a 1" offset/2" stroke.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2019, 01:37:22 AM »
 :ThumbsUp:
 Coming along very nicely Chris!
 :popcorn:
 John

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2019, 02:29:56 AM »
Chris it is a much smaller machine shop that I thought So a compact work area to go with the small machines. I like the idea or sitting at the bench rather than standing. That would not be easy with the larger machines.
Nice work on the guide tubes as well.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal