Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44798 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2019, 04:38:53 PM »
Stock prep day, taking some 1" round bearing bronze rod down to rectangular for the slide valves on the cylinders. These are thicker than typical slide valves since they have two layers of passages, the normal shallow chamber on the bottom plus a passage above to connect two outer chambers. This is part of the key to how the Marion valve scheme works, they have 4 ports - one to each end of the cylinder, two more to the throttle/reverse valve which change function between steam inlet and exhaust depending where the throttle is. The two levels of chambers route the gas to the two cylinder ports, and unlike a typical slide valve the steam surrouinding the slide valve is never admitted to a port directly, just though the throttle valve at the center (not made yet).
Here are some drawings from the slew engines on the Marion shovel model to show the passages:

Red passages contain steam, grey exhaust:

Opposite stroke:

So, held the bar in a 5C collet to mill off the sides:

one blank done, started on the next:

and both blanks squared up to size:

Next will be to start cutting the chambers.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #391 on: December 05, 2019, 08:14:59 PM »
More done on the valve sliders this afternoon, laid out and milled the cavities in the bottom face. Started with the two larger ones, the center one is shallow and the end one goes deeper, to connect across to the other end above the center cavity.

The left end gets another deep chamber, this time narrow:

Drilled a series of holes to connect the two end chambers. I designed it with one larger hole, but changed my mind and did a row - more total volume and less chance of breaking into other openings.

Here is one of the sliders ready to cut the slots for the valve rod and adjusting nut in the top surface. The drilled holes in the end will be filled with some JB Weld - I connected the holes with a rotary tool, and added some undercuts where the epoxy plug will go, to give it a mechanical connection to resist pressure on the plug.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #392 on: December 08, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
Been out of the shop for a couple of days, back at the valves thi morning. Got the slots cut for the valve rods/nuts, and made up the rods/nuts too...

A little filing, lap the bottom of the valves, make some gaskets, and the cylinders can be put together and timed. Still need to make the throttle valve assembly and the piping to connect it all up before it can be run, but getting close!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #393 on: December 08, 2019, 05:44:50 PM »
Valve parts look great Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #394 on: December 08, 2019, 05:46:54 PM »
Even though this is a part that will not be seen, it just bugged me that the valve sliders were so chunky looking - in a real engine they would never waste this much metal in a casting, so I milled the top back around the edges:

Also made up the fiber paper gaskets - stacked some sheets, and used one of the steam chest lids as a drill guide with the pile clamped to a wood block to get all the holes.

And, to show that I am serious about starting the Stanley engine after this one is done, here is a big chunk of 1144 stressproof steel (2-3/4" diameter). This is big enough diameter to get the entire cylinder block out in one piece. It is obviously way longer than needed, but it will get used up I am sure on other projects! I was not going to get it yet, but Online Metals had a big cyber monday sale that got the price way down. My UPS guy hates me again for ordering heavy stuff! 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #395 on: December 08, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
Last bits for today - lapped the faces on the valve sliders, and got them visually timed and bolted up. The timing is just for travel at this point, have not adjusted the rotation on the ecccentrics relative to the cranks yet.

Also, weighed the assembly so far, this beasty is currently 23.8 pounds. Will be a little more for the throttle valve and piping, probably end up in the 25 pound range.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #396 on: December 08, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »
"My UPS guy hates me again for ordering heavy stuff!"
I refuse to allow UPS (United Pirate Service) on my property.
They attempted to charge me duty and brokerage on a Duty free item. When I refused the driver threw it back into the truck that he damaged parts in the package. The Company I had ordered it from sent it to me by USPS which arrived faster then it had originally by UPS.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #397 on: December 08, 2019, 11:07:06 PM »
Last bits for today - lapped the faces on the valve sliders, and got them visually timed and bolted up. The timing is just for travel at this point, have not adjusted the rotation on the ecccentrics relative to the cranks yet.

Also, weighed the assembly so far, this beasty is currently 23.8 pounds. Will be a little more for the throttle valve and piping, probably end up in the 25 pound range.

Hello Chris,

Man that looks GOOD. Can't wait to see this thing in action. You might lease it out to Brian to run his saw....also send some of your "helper elves" as service technicians  :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #398 on: December 08, 2019, 11:15:42 PM »

Hello Chris,

Man that looks GOOD. Can't wait to see this thing in action. You might lease it out to Brian to run his saw....also send some of your "helper elves" as service technicians  :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Not sure I could afford the cost of the expense report the elves would try and file!  ...wait guys, whats this 'Corvette Rental' line?? ...

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #399 on: December 08, 2019, 11:35:06 PM »
Yep.it's a bigun'.
 It's looking great Chris!

What draft angle did you put on the slider relief?  :toilet_claw:

jOhN

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #400 on: December 09, 2019, 12:07:14 AM »
Looks marvelous Chris. Any elves show up here, I'm going to feed them to the cat!!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #401 on: December 09, 2019, 01:56:37 AM »
Yep.it's a bigun'.

jOhN
Slider relief? Whats that?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #402 on: December 09, 2019, 01:57:32 AM »
Looks marvelous Chris. Any elves show up here, I'm going to feed them to the cat!!!
I'll pass on the warning - they need to remember the mini body armor and a box of kibble for bribes!

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #403 on: December 09, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »
Yep.it's a bigun'.

jOhN
Slider relief? Whats that?

I was just teasing you about the cuts you put on the valve slider to make it look like a casting.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #404 on: December 09, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
Looking good  :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal