Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 44564 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #360 on: November 28, 2019, 07:13:40 PM »
This project is really starting to come together Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:

Have a nice Thanksgiving. Hopefully it isn't too "weathery" back there.

Jim
Thanks Jim,  We had a high wind alert yesterday, nothing bad, all the snow is gone.
Gobble!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #361 on: November 29, 2019, 08:51:19 PM »
Got the rest of the studs/nuts in place on the bases, so its time to turn my attention to the eccentrics. I looked at the stock I have on hand, and there is some steel plate stock that will work for the followers, so the eccentrics were made from some bearing bronze rod. Started by turning them to diameter and cutting in the center slots for a rib on the eccentric to sit in, to keep it centered. Then switched to the 4-jaw chuck and dial indicator to offset the parts by 0.125" to one side.

Drilled/bored the shaft hole to fit the crankshaft.

and turned down the side to form a boss for the set screws to hold it in place.

Here is where it will sit on the crankshaft, still need to drill/tap for the set screws.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #362 on: November 29, 2019, 09:21:29 PM »
Very nice looking engine Dog and your attention to detail shows.  :praise2:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2019, 09:55:10 PM »
Thanks Don

Looks like the next project will finally be the Stanley engine! I've been trying to figure out how to do the engine block with the center steam chest, with the small openings to the valve faces. After a number of false starts, I was bouncing ideas around with Terry up in Maine, who I had gotten the plans from. He had a copy of the original plans for a spool valve version that Stanley tried but I don't think it went into general production. That I modified slightly to add a hidden cover so I can mill the passages. Bottom line, looks like a quarter sized version is doable!
 :pinkelephant:

Offline tghs

« Reply #364 on: November 29, 2019, 10:20:27 PM »
great how to on the eccentrics,, will most likely be turning some in a few weeks..
what the @#&% over

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #365 on: November 29, 2019, 11:01:52 PM »
great how to on the eccentrics,, will most likely be turning some in a few weeks..
I've seen a number of plans that show a center ridge on the eccentric and a center slot on the follower, which works just as well but requires a special cutter to make. Having the slot in the eccentric is much easier all round, just requires cutting the follower from both sides, easy with an expanding arbor, which I will show in a couple days.
 :cheers:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #366 on: November 29, 2019, 11:55:22 PM »
Thanks Don

Looks like the next project will finally be the Stanley engine! I've been trying to figure out how to do the engine block with the center steam chest, with the small openings to the valve faces. After a number of false starts,
Chris did you post the arrangement for us to look at yet? Might be able to figure out how to go about it like doing it in three parts.

Regards Don

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #367 on: November 30, 2019, 12:12:47 AM »
Got the rest of the studs/nuts in place on the bases, so its time to turn my attention to the eccentrics. I looked at the stock I have on hand, and there is some steel plate stock that will work for the followers, so the eccentrics were made from some bearing bronze rod. Started by turning them to diameter and cutting in the center slots for a rib on the eccentric to sit in, to keep it centered. Then switched to the 4-jaw chuck and dial indicator to offset the parts by 0.125" to one side.

Here is where it will sit on the crankshaft, still need to drill/tap for the set screws.

Looking at those photos I was thinking I hope Chris pays his Swarf Monkey Elf well.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #368 on: November 30, 2019, 12:17:43 AM »
Thanks Don

Looks like the next project will finally be the Stanley engine! I've been trying to figure out how to do the engine block with the center steam chest, with the small openings to the valve faces. After a number of false starts,
Chris did you post the arrangement for us to look at yet? Might be able to figure out how to go about it like doing it in three parts.

Regards Don
No, didn't post pictures. The problem with making the center steam chest a separate piece is that it is narrower than the cylinders, so no good way to put in screws to hold it together without changing the look of it. The original was a large casting, with round portals in the chest. It wouldn't be so bad at full size, but that's way too big. The spool valve version is much easier to do as one block, just needed to design a flat panel on one side to hide the passages needed. It all works out for a quarter scale model, 1 inch pistons, 2 inch long cylinders. I'll start a thread for it after the current build is done, probably in a couple of weeks.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #369 on: November 30, 2019, 12:21:00 AM »

Looking at those photos I was thinking I hope Chris pays his Swarf Monkey Elf well.
Gerald.
He saved up the money from recycling the swarf and bought himself a shop vac with a Dust Deputy cyclonic separator, so he now has the easiest job in the gang!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #370 on: November 30, 2019, 12:44:39 AM »
Gotten a few pings from people asking about how the Stanley engine looks, here are a couple of renders of the slide-valve version I have plans for (Stanley made quite a few changes to the designs over the life of the production, this is just one of the versions).

As you can see, the center section with the steam chest would be tough to make as a separate piece, since it steps in from the cylinders on all sides, especially at a smaller scale model (1/4 scale or so), without changing the appearance too much.

Now, the spool valve version, which Stanley themselves designed, this is not my variation, gets rid of that problem, since I can make all the holes from the end, and there are just a couple of passages that need access from one side.

In that last picture I added a cover plate for the middle section, without changing the outside shape. Here it is with that plate removed to be able to cut the passages through to the spool valves:

One surface that can be bolted on with a gasket to seal it, and the entire block can be cut from one piece of 1144 stressproof steel bar, minimum of 2.625" diameter and 3.6" long. The spool valves fit into an inserted sleeve with holes for the passages, just like the original.
So, I think this is a workable solution for a scaled down model that will fit on my lathe/mill. For now, am setting this design to the side while I finish up the winding engine, which just needs the valve assemblies for the cylinders and the throttle control valve/piping.

:cheers: :cheers:

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #371 on: November 30, 2019, 01:19:35 AM »
Looks like an interesting engine Chris. the spool valve certainly looks like an easier one to make, those internal slide valves are tricky.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #372 on: November 30, 2019, 03:45:16 AM »
Great work on the winding engine Chris!
 Some nice work on the Stanley cylinder as well, should be much easier to build that way.

John

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #373 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:03 PM »
Thanks guys - it should work out...

Back on the winding engine, today I started in on the eccentric followers from steel bar stock. First notched in the ears on the bottom pieces, where the bolts will go through:

Then sawed off the bulk of the extra material above where the curved end will be, and drilled for the mounting bolts. This side gets clearance holes, the top halves get tapped 4-40. I used the right side of the vise as an indexing point to get all the holes to match up, the in/out axis was centered and locked down, the left/right was moved back/forth the same number of turns for each piece.

And the parts so far, two halves bolted together. One nice thing about the Marion-style valve design on this engine, there is only one eccentric/follower needed per cylinder and no sliding link, but it is still a reversing engine.

Next I think I will lay out and saw off the bulk of the material on the sides of the upper halves, where they will taper in to the valve rod. Then will bore out the holes to match the eccentrics.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #374 on: December 01, 2019, 12:21:27 AM »
Sawed off the sides of the upper halves to rough in the shapes, now starting to bore out the holes. I tried setting it up on the lathe, but the parts are too long to swing round without the jaws hitting the ways, so I am going to do the boring on the mill instead. Started by drilling a starter hole as large as the drill chuck would do:

and have begun boring the hole out to size. I have to remember to stop at the diameter of the bottom of the slot, not the diameter of the outer surface of the eccentric. I have to remember to stop at the diameter of the bottom of the slot, not the diameter of the outer surface of the eccentric. I have to remember to stop at the diameter of the bottom of the slot, not the diameter of the outer surface of the eccentric.  :Lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal