Author Topic: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine  (Read 45022 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion Valve Winding Engine
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2019, 02:21:17 PM »
The second outer end cap is done, and got a start on the inner caps/glands. Similar shape, slightly different dimensions:

I did notice on boo-boo on the plans, the length of the cylinder gland is too long, and would have interfered with the inside of the crosshead guide, so that has been taken down a bit (plans will be reposted at the end of the build when all other goofs are fixed). On these caps, the center is turned down to the length of the glands, and the tapered shape will be milled in later. I did drill the piston rod hole, and counterbored for the o-ring seal.
One more inner end cap to turn down, then will start on the rings for the crosshead guide end flanges....

EDIT: there was no interference, I was mis-reading the dimension as radius vs diameter on the end of the gland.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 02:38:28 PM by crueby »

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »
Hi Chris

:popcornsmall:

Cheers

Rich

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »
Both pairs of end caps are turned, started in on the rings for either end of the crosshead guide:

The forward rings get drilled for the mounting screws which will hold the cylinders, the rear rings won't need drilling around the rim.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2019, 08:04:10 PM »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
Hi Chris, Looking in  ....but a bit preoccupied with the bizarre political machinations /Shakespere tragedy/soap opera/ etc of our political system happening at the moment !!!!! :facepalm:  good start with new engine   :popcorn:

Willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 03:35:45 PM »
Hi Chris, Looking in  ....but a bit preoccupied with the bizarre political machinations /Shakespere tragedy/soap opera/ etc of our political system happening at the moment !!!!! :facepalm:  good start with new engine   :popcorn:

Willy
Thats a whole bucket of threads by itself!  I am sticking with the build!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »
Thats a whole bucket of threads by itself!
Definitely a bucket of something, but sticking to the thread is good too.  Maybe you need to crack the whip on the elves a little more, can't just keep bribing them with mint chocolate chip cookies can you?  Or is that chocolate chip mint cookies?

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 04:35:40 PM »
Definitely a bucket of something, but sticking to the thread is good too.  Maybe you need to crack the whip on the elves a little more, can't just keep bribing them with mint chocolate chip cookies can you?  Or is that chocolate chip mint cookies?

Don
Don't give them any ideas!  Was hard enough to keep them from forming a local chapter of the Shop Trained Elves Association of Metalworkers Union of Professionals (STEAMUP)...   :LittleDevil:

And to be precise, its dark chocolate chips with mint emulsion added to the batter...   :happyreader:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
More work on the holes, got the last holes in the cylinder blanks drilled (still more to be tapped).

And the boring has been progressing well over on the lathe - just one more of the crosshead guide rings to do (these rings will hold the guide tube itself to the base)

After the last ring is bored, I will switch the riser blocks into the lathe so I can start turning the outsides of the cylinders, to form the flanges on the ends.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2019, 09:51:31 PM »
Hello Chris

OK place a dollar bill or a ruler in the photo so we can see the size of these parts, the penny will not work here :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »
Hello Chris

OK place a dollar bill or a ruler in the photo so we can see the size of these parts, the penny will not work here :lolb:

Have a great day,
Thomas
This should help - I got Elfric out of his hammock on the deck and made him hold the ruler up!   :Lol:

The steel bars and rings are 2.5" diameter - these are the same stock that the cylinder and engine blocks from the Marion slew/crowd engines were cut out of, so these are MUCH larger!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2019, 10:23:23 PM »
Side note - the aluminum/steel stock I ordered for the excavator is all here now, so that build will start moving shortly - going to cut the sides of the booms out of aluminum sheet, top/bottoms of the booms will be aluminum flat bar stock bent to match. Pics on that build occasionally as it progresses...

Offline mike mott

• Alberta Canada
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2019, 05:33:15 AM »
That is some hefty work for the Sherline.

Mike
If you can imagine it you can build it

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »

Don
Don't give them any ideas!  Was hard enough to keep them from forming a local chapter of the Shop Trained Elves Association of Metalworkers Union of Professionals (STEAMUP)...   :LittleDevil:

And to be precise, its dark chocolate chips with mint emulsion added to the batter...   :happyreader:
Dang it Chris now it's out, I had been passing off normal chocolate in my cookies for my Elves and they are talking union talk too.
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2019, 06:31:09 PM »
Hello Chris,

WOW! That is going to be a nice BIG steam engine, sure glad you decided to build this one.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal