Author Topic: Possible next projects  (Read 4265 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: Possible next projects
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2019, 03:37:15 AM »
Now look what I started.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 02:39:26 PM »
Chris:

Regarding the Hydra sub, I stumbled on this last night and thought you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZL0jy6-SMs

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »
Chris:

Regarding the Hydra sub, I stumbled on this last night and thought you might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZL0jy6-SMs

Don
Yup, we had seen that sub - we were talking about it at the sub run at the pool on Sunday. Its an interesting take on it, but we are going to stick with getting the props functional out in the nacelles where they belong rather than in the center hull. His proportions on the hull and cockpit are not right either, but it is an interesting hull. We have been experimenting with flexible cable drive from the centerline out to the nacelles, I have one more version to mock up and test with the power supply with a thinner cable - if that pans out like expected then we can settle on a size for the model and print out patterns. Making it as a 3D printed version for the real model is pretty costly - I am headed towards a set of ply rings with a thin skin of 1/64 ply and fiberglass. May print the cockpit frame though....
 :ThumbsUp:

Offline mnay

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 07:43:43 PM »
Crueby,
I don't check the forum very often.  this is referring back to the question about the ports on the locomobile engine from Live Steam Magazine.  I scaled it up x1.5, but the ports were easy because they were milled at an angle.

Sorry to be so slow answering. 

Is the plan for the Stanley engine you have available?

thanks Mike

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 08:06:09 PM »
Crueby,
I don't check the forum very often.  this is referring back to the question about the ports on the locomobile engine from Live Steam Magazine.  I scaled it up x1.5, but the ports were easy because they were milled at an angle.

Sorry to be so slow answering. 

Is the plan for the Stanley engine you have available?

thanks Mike
Hi Mike, very interesting to see those photos. I can see how angling the port faces makes it possible to mill/drill them. Did you lap the faces somehow, or just use the milled finish? I am used to being able to lap the faces on a flat plate to a nice smooth surface, but am sure there are many other ways to do it. I found copies of the magazines with that build article from a seller on ebay, but the seller was completely un-responsive so I did not end up buying them.

The plans I have were given to me by a friend who drew them from an old engine, I do not own the rights to be able to sell or give them away, not sure if he would be agreeable to that (will ask next time I talk with him). The plans are very detailed, but do have mistakes and gaps, will need some fine tuning if I do build it. The fallback position would be to do the piston-valve version, though I do prefer the slide valves.
 :cheers:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2019, 05:47:01 PM »
Making it as a 3D printed version for the real model is pretty costly

How so?  Other than the time required to print the stinkin' things, from you own 3D models the FDM 3D printed parts would be almost dirt cheap.  Unless you have someone else print them, then it could get expensive, especially in SLA.

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2019, 06:08:12 PM »
Making it as a 3D printed version for the real model is pretty costly

How so?  Other than the time required to print the stinkin' things, from you own 3D models the FDM 3D printed parts would be almost dirt cheap.  Unless you have someone else print them, then it could get expensive, especially in SLA.

Don
Thats what I meant, dont have a printer so would have to hire it out. The model will be in the 30" to 40" range, depending on the drive we come up with. I just got a prototype cable drive working, looks like it may be on the smaller end of the scale, need to spend some time in Fusion...

Offline mnay

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
Crueby,
On the locomobile engine I just milled the ports and then polished them a little with a block and sandpaper.    If your friend gives you permission I would love to have a copy of the Stanley plans and would pay copy/shipping costs.

Keep us posted if you build one. 

I will be making some kind of little steam car with this engine.  It runs well.  I milled the arms/crosshead rails from solid 1144 steel.  It took a few hours.   The cross drilling to the ports was nerve racking.

Thanks, Mike

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »
Crueby,
On the locomobile engine I just milled the ports and then polished them a little with a block and sandpaper.    If your friend gives you permission I would love to have a copy of the Stanley plans and would pay copy/shipping costs.

Keep us posted if you build one. 

I will be making some kind of little steam car with this engine.  It runs well.  I milled the arms/crosshead rails from solid 1144 steel.  It took a few hours.   The cross drilling to the ports was nerve racking.

Thanks, Mike
Thanks for the info!  How big is your engine overall?

Offline mnay

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2019, 07:53:50 PM »
It is about a foot tall.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpe3QFdWLQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpe3QFdWLQ</a>

see it running on this link.  I will try to track down my drawings.
I scaled it up 1.5 from the drawings in Live Steam
I runs rough in the movie because there is no flywheel

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
It is about a foot tall.

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Orpe3QFdWLQ[/youtube1] 

see it running on this link.  I will try to track down my drawings.
I scaled it up 1.5 from the drawings in Live Steam
I runs rough in the movie because there is no flywheel
Very nicely done!!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »
Mike, I checked on the plans, he says they are available from the Stanley Museum

http://www.stanleymuseum.org/
I dont see them on their website, so you would have to contact them. They used to sell copies for around $65, that may have changed. He said there are two versions, one done in the 1990s and a newer version from a 3D model done in 2015. The set I borrowed is the 2015 version.

Offline mnay

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2019, 05:10:28 PM »
thanks.  I will do some investigating
Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal