Author Topic: Possible next projects  (Read 4260 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Possible next projects
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »

Doug,
 The background is fascinating! Keep it coming! I’m sure Chris will be as appreciative as me !

Cheers Kerrin
Yes!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2019, 02:39:06 PM »
I found which issues of Live Steam had the Locomobile engine build by Salvatore Rubino in 1993. Saw a portion of a build based on it, and it looks like Rubino came up with a neat trick - he angled the port faces inside the steam chest by 45 degrees so that he could drill through the portal opening, which on that engine is a larger square. Thats pretty clever - it moved the passage into the cylinder around 45 degrees too. Lapping the valve faces could be done with the end of a bar, I guess.
 :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2019, 06:51:53 PM »
So you/anybody could fix the engine a couple of times and then you're coming back to Stanley either for a new car, or major engine parts.  And they said planned obsolescence was a product of the last half of the 20th century... Stanley knew what they were doing.

Don

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2019, 07:14:16 PM »
I think a lot of IC engine powered cars in the days of Stanley steamers had short life expectancy compared to cars today, so maybe Stanley were holding their own vs the car market without over engineering things and losing service revenue / new car sales. I've heard more than one car expert state that Model T Fords were expected to last two years or so between major rebuilds.

For example one good overheat / boil dry incident in a Model T Ford (and many other gas powered IC cars) of the day would result in the bearing metal melting and running into the crankcase.  :help: The transmission bands in a Model T in hilly towns burned out rapidly, and pin / gear wear in them was usually severe. I've seen them with 1/8" wear in the pinion holes / pins. Good luck keeping suspension parts in one piece on the roads of the day!   :facepalm:

Got the elves working on a shaper attachment for the Sherline yet Chris ?   :Lol: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2019, 08:08:03 PM »
I think a lot of IC engine powered cars in the days of Stanley steamers had short life expectancy compared to cars today, so maybe Stanley were holding their own vs the car market without over engineering things and losing service revenue / new car sales. I've heard more than one car expert state that Model T Fords were expected to last two years or so between major rebuilds.

For example one good overheat / boil dry incident in a Model T Ford (and many other gas powered IC cars) of the day would result in the bearing metal melting and running into the crankcase.  :help: The transmission bands in a Model T in hilly towns burned out rapidly, and pin / gear wear in them was usually severe. I've seen them with 1/8" wear in the pinion holes / pins. Good luck keeping suspension parts in one piece on the roads of the day!   :facepalm:

Got the elves working on a shaper attachment for the Sherline yet Chris ?   :Lol: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn:
Well, sort of. They keep saying they are working on it, but they spend an awful lot of time in watching TV...!
For the excavator project, I was doing some measurements on the leadscrew assemblies built from off-the-shelf robotics parts - decided to switch to a different excavator, a Volvo EX950E, which has a very similar overall size and design but it has a thicker/wider set of booms on it, which will let me fit the leadscrews inside while keeping it at a 1:15 scale. For the Cat, it would have needed to be at least 1:12. The overall size of the tracks and cab are close, just the booms are a lot beefier.
On the Marion valve engine, I went in and thickened up the bases for the bearings and the crosshead guides, and made the flywheel 8" diameter, all look more in proportion now. Thanks Jason!

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2019, 10:18:55 PM »
To build that Hydra sub you and the elves might have to step up your game a bit and make your own TEBLWC motors to mount in the nacelles.  (Totally Enclosed Brush-Less Water Cooled, nuthin' but the best for the Hydra sub - HAIL HYDRA!  Did I say that out loud?)

The rest would just be a variation on the sub stuff you've already done wouldn't it.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »
To build that Hydra sub you and the elves might have to step up your game a bit and make your own TEBLWC motors to mount in the nacelles.  (Totally Enclosed Brush-Less Water Cooled, nuthin' but the best for the Hydra sub - HAIL HYDRA!  Did I say that out loud?)

The rest would just be a variation on the sub stuff you've already done wouldn't it.

Don
That is one of the options we (am working with another member in the club) are looking at. Other options include running drive shafts or flex cables out from motors in the central hull, and using bevel gears from one motor in the center hull. The nacelles are a couple inches across, so the motor can't block too much of the cross section or the water flow is too low. Brushless have plenty of power, but they draw a LOT of current, so run time is a lot lower than brushed motors (most of our subs get 1.5 to 2.5 hours of run time off brushed motors). Once we get some experiments done, we will settle on a drive technology, that will determine the final size of the hulls. Then can carve a master for the molds and make fiberglass hulls. The cockpit and maybe the fins will be 3D printed.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2019, 10:38:41 PM »
Got the linear actuators for the excavator model built up (these parts are all from ServoCity, made for robotics). The motor is a 176 rpm output gearmotor, shaft is a 4-start 6mm leadscrew with a follower running in the aluminum channel, I added a steel plate on top of the follower and limit switches on the outside. The switches are Normally Closed, with diodes on them, so they stop any motion in that direction but allow it to reverse. It will be driven by a 12v battery and solid state RC speed control. It seems to have lots of power in tests off a power supply, so will coninue on with the build. These units (one for main boom, one for outer boom, one for bucket) will be inside the booms, with wires leading back to the radio/ESC's in the main cab. Another motor will drive the cab round and round on the tracks, and there will be a motor on each track driving via .250 bike-style chain - power to those motors will have to go through a 360 degree rotating power spindle in the center of the cab.

view of leadscrew - slot in plate on traveler will have a link going up to the dummy hydraulic piston on the outside of the boom.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2019, 12:13:21 AM »
Great looking actuator Chris! You'll be piling chicken grit with it in no time.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re the elves TV habit - One good fast slew with the Marion with bucket and dipper all the way out, right into that Elf-O-Vision unit would solve the issue - but your beer bill might go up again........ and there would be some bad language from Bucket Bob and crew..... :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :mischief:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2019, 12:18:51 AM »
Great looking actuator Chris! You'll be piling chicken grit with it in no time.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re the elves TV habit - One good fast slew with the Marion with bucket and dipper all the way out, right into that Elf-O-Vision unit would solve the issue - but your beer bill might go up again........ and there would be some bad language from Bucket Bob and crew..... :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :mischief:
An i would wake up in the morning sewn to the mattress!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2019, 03:15:53 AM »
They've got sewing kits AND beer? We gotta talk, before you start the next project!    :lolb:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2019, 03:54:33 AM »
Chris,
I have been following along but haven't said much, if anything. What about a Doble steam engine like in Jay Leno's Garage. Two cylinder gear driving the rear differential. Yeah I know late and foaming at the mouth, and talking incoherently. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
Chris,
I have been following along but haven't said much, if anything. What about a Doble steam engine like in Jay Leno's Garage. Two cylinder gear driving the rear differential. Yeah I know late and foaming at the mouth, and talking incoherently. :ROFL:
Art
Hi Art,

I had not heard of the Doble engines before, just went and looked them up. More amazing engineering. They would have the same issues for me to build in small scale to get the pots and passages made, with the center mounted valves.

Offline Elam Works

• Glen Mills, PA, USA
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2019, 04:43:23 PM »
Quote from: crueby
I had not heard of the Doble engines before, just went and looked them up. More amazing engineering.

Well you could start on something simple like the lubricator pump (see attached)…

-Doug

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2019, 09:35:21 PM »
Quote from: crueby
I had not heard of the Doble engines before, just went and looked them up. More amazing engineering.

Well you could start on something simple like the lubricator pump (see attached)…

-Doug
Gulp!!  I'll leave that one for Zee!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal