Author Topic: Possible next projects  (Read 4262 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Possible next projects
« on: September 18, 2019, 02:49:23 PM »
With the Marion build over  :-[ , looking through the project pile and have a few choices.

One is the Stanley automobile steam engine that I have plans for, but I am still debating the best way to make the cylinder block with its inward-facing valve faces.

Could make it in three pieces, with the center section separate, but connecting them is the issue - the center is narrower than the cylinders, so can't bolt through the whole thing. Also the round port goes past the valve faces. Still noodling on that one.

Another option is the Ward Pumping Station engine(s) - there are 5 there, would only build one! I have a copy of the original builders blueprints, and have been converting them to a 3D CAD model:

This engine is ginormous, about 60 feet tall, triple expansion. I was thinking of a cutaway version to show the innards and valves/pumps, like you would see in a museum display, with a hidden motor to turn it to show the motion. Or maybe have two cylinders cut away, third driving the model? Whichever way, this would be a very large model to get all the parts functional.

Other option, more likely to build since it would be a shorter-term project, is a design I've drawn up that combines the Marion slew/crowd engine valve design with a mill or winding engine style. This valve setup makes a reversing engine with no extra eccentrics or external linkages, it does it all with internal porting. By making a winding engine style, the cylinders are separate so I could make them larger - a 1.5" bore x 2" stroke, which should make for a nice slow running engine. The center block is the throttle/reversing valve.

Or, something else....!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Possible next projects
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 03:17:14 PM »
I think the Stanley block would be better done if 5 pieces. The two cylinders with the ports machined on them and small spigots on the ends. A central block with the round hole and then two end plates which will fit over the spigots and tie it all together. This Is how I was thinking of doing Julius' Musgrave engine and also how Ramon made the one piece block for his Stuart double ten in the "wide awake" thread. But then again if silver soldered you can do it in 3 and not need to bolt anything together

Last option looks good too.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »
I find it is nice to do a simple engine, in between larger models and sometimes during their build ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 04:11:50 PM »
I think the Stanley block would be better done if 5 pieces. The two cylinders with the ports machined on them and small spigots on the ends. A central block with the round hole and then two end plates which will fit over the spigots and tie it all together. This Is how I was thinking of doing Julius' Musgrave engine and also how Ramon made the one piece block for his Stuart double ten in the "wide awake" thread. But then again if silver soldered you can do it in 3 and not need to bolt anything together

Last option looks good too.
Interesting - with the center done as side/end plates I could put gaskets or sealant in the joints...
By 'spigots', you mean like flanges to screw through?

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 04:13:03 PM »
I find it is nice to do a simple engine, in between larger models and sometimes during their build ::)

Jo
Thats the direction I am leaning - a shorter project (the marion valve engine) to give a break from the big projects, something to see done sooner.   :ThumbsUp:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
No more like this, the cylinder have a circular spigot that fits into the plate which stops them moving outwards.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2851.msg117544.html#msg117544

Similar to how I do single cylinders but the end flanges would be more figure eight shaped.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 04:46:35 PM »
Ah, gotcha! With both end flanges on the cylinder and the end of the steam chest as one piece... Interesting! That would give a way to bolt into the side plates of the steam chest, hold everything aligned and tight. Neat!
No more like this, the cylinder have a circular spigot that fits into the plate which stops them moving outwards.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2851.msg117544.html#msg117544

Similar to how I do single cylinders but the end flanges would be more figure eight shaped.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »
Hey Chris,

My vote ( that is if I get one  :slap: ) would be the Marion valve engine in a scaled up version, they are really neat and you did a great job with the smaller version.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 05:27:54 PM »
Hey Chris,

My vote ( that is if I get one  :slap: ) would be the Marion valve engine in a scaled up version, they are really neat and you did a great job with the smaller version.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Oh sure - votes are free - vote early and often!  :o    Votes may all be ignored at the discretion of the shop elves though...  :Lol:

I do have some 2.5" (and some smaller bars too) of 1144 stressproof steel left over from the smaller engines, works out perfect for the scaled up version.

Offline mnay

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2019, 07:15:13 PM »
Crueby,
Where did you get your plans for the Stanley engine?  I built the Locomobile engine scaled up from Live Steam Magazine and it worked out great.
Mike

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2019, 08:05:30 PM »
Crueby,
Where did you get your plans for the Stanley engine?  I built the Locomobile engine scaled up from Live Steam Magazine and it worked out great.
Mike
Hi Mike,

I got them from someone who drew them in Fusion 360 from an existing engine. Does the block look similar to the one you built? If so, how did they machine it? And which issues was it in?
Thanks!
Chris

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 09:45:33 PM »
Hi Chris,
When looking at full sized engines or machinery I always try to figure out how it was made or machined originally. Even with special tooling there had to be a way to machine the valve face on the Stanley. In som instances I have made a special tool to finish a part. I have a friend with a Stanley engine set-up in an old Packard. I'll have to see if he has a cylinder assembly that I could look at.
As far as what project to do usually after a long build like the Marion for you I like to do something simple so I don't get burned out but still satisfy my need to machine.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
Go simple while you think about the more complex projects. Multitasking in a way.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2019, 12:32:19 AM »
Thanks guys, think that I am going to go with the winding/Marion valve engine next, as you say it will be a 'simple' engine to break up the long projects with!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

One of the other side projects that I am working out with another guy in our local RC submarine group is a sub based on the Hydra sub from the movie Captain America - First Avenger:

We are still working out the mechanisms to use for the propellers, which are in the two nacelles on the sides. Once that is worked out, we can decide on the final size of the hulls, probably in the 24 to 39 inch long range. Just one of those sub designs that says 'build me!'. We will most likely make a wood master then take a mold from that to lay up the hulls in fiberglass.

Another background project is an RC version of a Caterpillar 340D excavator - a modern hydraulic digger, that will have electric motors geared down to leadscrews inside the booms to simulate the hydraulic rams. There ARE true hydraulics available on the market, but they are quite pricey and VERY messy when a hose leaks. So far I have the motor/leadscrews 90% built, couple more parts and I can do some mockups and force tests to see if they will have enough strength for real work. This will be at about 1:15 scale, maybe 1:14 or 1:12, have to see what fits. More on this as it develops. Or, maybe dropped if the force is not enough - should work out, using 172:1 gearmotors hooked to 4 lead leadscrews, initial tests show lots of power when trying to hold it back by hand. The tracks, not shown in this drawing, will use some RC tank tracks that are the right size.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2019, 07:16:33 AM »
It looks like the port faces on the Stanley could have been done with a shaper on the full size but the issue for the one off builder is the ports which would have been cored during casting and would be very hard to machine on a miniature let alone full size.

If you do go with "Big Marion" My personal thoughts are that the crankshaft bearing supports look to be on the light side and compared to the cylinder/trunk guide part of the engine they look small, if doing it as a mill engine then I also think a larger flywheel would be more in keeping, what looks like a 4" flywheel is quite small for a 1.5x2 twin, possibly drop the whole engine down and have a slot in your display base or model a brick or stone base which would also reduce the need to have the engine raised on those legs.

A lot of the RC truck and heavy plant model makers do use mini hydralic rams, it is a very popular hobby on mainland Europe particularly in Germany. Even some of the ready to run stuff is packed with functions that you could possibly transfer to yours rather than start from scratch
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:25:36 AM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal