Author Topic: Chinese CNC Router  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
Chinese CNC Router
« on: September 05, 2019, 02:38:56 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese CNC Routers.

They seem to come predominately from Switzerland and Germany so do we still pay import duty?

More to the point are they any good?!

The link below shows a possible candidate, still a lot of money if they are rubbish!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-4-AXIS-6040-CNC-ROUTER-ENGRAVER-ENGRAVING-METAL-WOODWORKING-CUTTER-1-5KW-RC/223567816534?hash=item340dae2756:g:Dk0AAOSw0EJc6V8L

Les

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
Re: Chinese CNC Router
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »
I have looked at several of these. They all have a very light structure which means they are only really suitable for light routing and engraving. They could be modified to move a 3D printer head around or perhaps even a vinyl cutter blade.

You should not look upon them as being a low cost cnc milling machine.

For any serious machining of metals, you need a machine with significantly greater robustness and rigidity

My thoughts only

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 04:49:40 PM »
I'd look for one with separate spindle from the motor, with bearings on the spindle that will handle the thrust load and side loads of cutting. Many of the cheap machines just use the bearings inside a regular DC motor, which are not intended for cutting loads. A collet is attached directly to the motor shaft. This will not do heavy cutting, as Vixen said above. (or not for long, anyway)
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:31:41 PM »
I thought that was the idea of the Router spindles they are much like the high speed woodworking routers that have the collet on the motor spindle, take sideways force OK in those but as Vixen says not really upto heavy cuts in the harder metals. really depends on spindle quality, you won't be getting Kress quality at that price. Most I have seen videos of tend to chatter a lot when being pushed.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:21:22 PM »
I bought what looks exactly like the one you pointed to. It was about US$700 as I remember.

I think it is actually a decent machine, for what it is. Light cutting in wood or plastic, engraving etc. The spindle is a real water cooled spindle motor, not simply a DC motor.

One problem with mine is the table is not fully parallel to the gantry. I have figured a way to make a screw adjustable mount for each end and level it up, but have not done it yet.

I tried mine connected to a PC running Mach4 and it worked well. I have also tried one of the self contained boxes that run Gcode, for about $150. That works very well and makes a nice neat package.

just remember this is a SMALL, light machine and it will be fine.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 10:47:31 PM »
We have one of these at work (sorry Jo), or should I say, a similar model (there are several Chinese versions of these). Our is a 3 axis, with 300W spindle. We bought it for PCB prototyping and it does a decent job of this and it will do wood and plastic just fine. I expect it will do metal with very fine cuts as already mentioned above .... BUT there are several limitations !!!!!

One being that there are absolutely NOT anything that prevents swarf getting into the screws and their nuts  :Doh: and this is potentially catastrophic  :hammerbash: and the linear bearings on the ways, have a single lip - so please no hard chips / swarf that sticks to the ways  :facepalm:

If you really are serious about a cheap Chinese CNC Router there are much better models in the same size and almost same price - look at AliExpress for models where the Z-axis is on a "tower" and where the screws and nuts are "hidden" and protected. Sorry I can't remember brand ....

Oh, and almost all the A-axis (the fourth) have very low torque and five axis versions are typically worse - again with some exceptions ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »
We have one of these at work (sorry Jo),

Someone has to do it or else how might they get the taxes to pay for our pensions :wine1:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Les#053

• Bedfordshire UK
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 02:24:43 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your replies, pretty much as I expected I suppose.

The bottom line seems to be that they work, but don't set your expectations too high.

Les

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 10:03:28 PM »
One option in that price range is the Stepmores SM4040. Stefan Gotteswinter recently bought a used one. He has a video on YT, there are others as well showing the same machine.

Available via Alibaba.com for US$1900 and up. The machine is built from Al castings with HG15 linear rails. No extrusions on this on.

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal