Author Topic: Crossley Otto Langen  (Read 19616 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Crossley Otto Langen
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2020, 08:30:39 PM »
Going great!! Those engines always fascinate me, that action is mesmerizing.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #166 on: February 24, 2020, 08:45:28 PM »
Very well done Craig.

She's a credit to you!   :)

Cheers Graham.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #167 on: February 24, 2020, 08:46:01 PM »
That is very cool!  I'd say its running great!
Kim

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »
That's a beautiful runner, Craig.  My compliments.

Regards,
Rudy

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:00 PM »
 8) That is running very nicely Craig.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2020, 10:04:31 PM »
I echo some of the comments about its action. Fascinating.

Great job!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2020, 05:28:26 PM »
Hi Craig.

I was recently poking through the photo archive from the Anson Engine museum, I spotted something you might be interested to see.

I recall you mentioned about the piston being " blown " out of the bore under certain overcharged circumstances.

The photo is of a 1 horsepower engine, note the plate that is bolted across the mouth of the cylinder. On others there are Rubber arrestors bolted to the sides.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2020, 12:49:21 AM »
Hi Craig, congratulations on getting the Crossley Otto running, that is quite an accomplishment!
Very nice work!

Dave

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #173 on: February 26, 2020, 07:17:51 PM »
Hi Craig, it is always facinating again to watch this very special motion. Very well done.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #174 on: March 09, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »
Thanks Achim, Dave, Graham, Zee, Jo, Rudy, Kim, and Chris for your comments.  Thanks also for everyone else silently stopping by to see the progress.

It’s been an interesting two weeks.  As of the last posting I had two objectives to complete.  Firstly, I needed to clean up some of the parts that were roughly modified in order to get the engine to run fairly well.  There is no use in making and remaking parts as a “final” part when you just don’t know if the part you’re making will help (or hinder) the progress.   Secondly I wanted to get the engine running well enough and get the governor modified so that the engine would be controlled by the governor.  I succeeded in both these endeavors.

I’ve posted a rather lengthy video that describes the engine I am modeling and then the model itself.  The model is started and run in the back half of the video.  I start the engine with the starting lever and after a while, if you watch closely, you can see where it gets peppy enough a few times for the governor to lock out the firing cycle and allow the engine to coat a while before permitting it to again take power strokes.

I’m very pleased with regard to how this engine turned out.  When you design an engine you expect it to run but you just don’t know how well.  In that regard, this model has met all my expectations.

You can see the video here. 

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9603.0.html

My current plan is to go through the drawings one more time, checking for last minute changes and then package them up and make them available here on MEM to anyone who might want to try building one.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2020, 12:06:26 PM »
Just caught up with this thread, excellent and it runs  :praise2:  :praise2:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #176 on: March 16, 2020, 11:49:19 PM »
Thanks for the complement Roger.

I’ll give you one more video before I close the book on this model.  It’s been getting some more running over the past few days and the cylinder/piston ring seal is improving so apparently the piston ring is seating.  I also found that spraying some WD-40 in the air intake seems to lubricate, break up the crud,  and help seal the cylinder really well.

The engine now runs, I would expect, much like the full size would without load. You can see in this video that the engine fires once and with that one power stroke gets the speed up where the governor locks the engine’s firing mechanism out from taking additional power strokes.  The engine coasts down until the governor unlatches, then the engine fires only once to get up to speed where the governor again takes control.

I’d think the model, at this point, is emulating the full size pretty well both aesthetically and in operation. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AeI8B2z-II" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AeI8B2z-II</a>
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline kvom

« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2020, 06:20:48 AM »
I'm back from my 3-week Asia trip and find another nice runner.   :ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal