Author Topic: Two little CHUK's  (Read 17486 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Two little CHUK's
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »

One cannot have too many pictures of model engines  :embarassed:

Jo

Happy to oblige, Jo....   :)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2019, 04:06:30 PM »
Thanks Graham  :D

The design criteria for the guide was simple: it had to support the rod but not cause drag, it had to be in keeping with a model made of castings  :Love: and it had to not be a pain when it came to dismantling the engine .

So we have a guide, once it has been in the paint shop no one should even give it a second glance  :)

What's left  :thinking:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2019, 07:29:31 PM »
Absolutely wonderful Jo.

I have to agree, you've made something that really " fits " with the casting theme, well done.

So....

Is it a " Pringlebottom " or a disc of cast Iron/Steel?

The " Quack " awaits.... Raucous or mellow?

:)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2019, 07:33:24 AM »
Thanks Graham,

I was yet again unable to acquire the original Pringle bottom  :disappointed: So alternatives are being sort, what ever happens I was a good Quack out of this engine as I know the kids enjoy the sound  :D

I am also thinking about burners: A gas bottle can be a big lump to move around  :thinking: were the originals paraffin powered? In which case I have some 28 second burning oil to use up :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2019, 07:43:03 AM »
Camping gas bottle will fit in your handbag. Or do like the model boat boys do and make a refillable gas tank though that would need testing for public display.

No liquid to spill and no hard to see flames and easier to adjust gas than meths.

There is always the lighter option but not so easy on this layout.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13wymzV0po" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13wymzV0po</a>

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2019, 12:08:05 PM »
Good morning Jo.

Nothing beats " shim Steel " for a sharp metallic quack, it's that simple!

Looking a the few available pictures of Planck survivors most were " fired " by an adjustable Paraffin and wick arrangement. My own is quite rare as it was fired by a small gas flame but the " flame spreader " must have been lost way before my acquisition. Liquid fuel can have its own problems however, if the wick guide is too short the heat can be transferred to the tank causing vapourisation.....

During an exhibition of models Alyn Foundry put on a display at a venue in Oswestry Shropshire.

I was joined by Vincent Salter, Martin Lorenzo and Mike Rodgers. We took up 3 tables  with our collection and many were running. Sometime during the early afternoon I noticed that the other exhibitors were quietly leaving the room, some carrying their most prized possessions.

Strange, thought I. Why such an early departure? It wasn't 4:30 for a long time! Upon turning around the reason for this sudden evacuation became stunningly obvious. My MK 2 CHUK 1 which I'd chosen to run using Paraffin with a Copper tank was on fire. Most of the other exhibitors had noticed this way before we had and by now the flames were well over a foot high! Nothing daunted I picked up a large cleaning rag and dropped it over the burning engine. The fire was extinguished immediately.

We never understood why no one came and mentioned anything to us but that episode became an " in house " joke for years to come.

So.... Liquid fuel can present its own problems, the moral. Don't use conductive materials for a fuel tank.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2019, 12:37:31 PM »
Initial testing is showing the follower is sticking. The engine seems bouncy. I'm going to try a return spring  :thinking:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »
The return spring seems to have done the trick  :ThumbsUp:

The Wick burner for the 28 second burning oil is covering the engine with soot   :facepalm:  and the flame from it is a bit cool.  Next up a gas burner...

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2019, 02:38:34 PM »
Not so fast Jo.

What's your timing?

The port should just be just closing at 20 past the hour of crankpin position. And reopening at towards 10 to the hour.

I'm surprised you're not getting any action, with mine a small flame causes a back and forth bounce effect and as the flame is increased full rotation begins.

My cameraman is back from his recent sojourn in Greece, he might be persuaded to make a video if you like?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »
That's the opposite to mine Graham when looking from the flywheel side :headscratch:

Closes at 10 to

Opens at 20-25 past.

Jo, it should also be much harder to turn backwards as the piston is trying to suck against a closed shutter and closed valve and creates a vacuum.

Even an orange propane flame will soon earn this engine the name "sooty"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »
I've had the engine running off the garden wand weeder. But the gas burner was not burning right   :-\ then I discovered I had a no 5 jet in it rather than a no 8.

While I wait for it to cool down I am having a cuppa and Surus is letting me watch him eat a Snicker Ice Cream :noidea:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
That's the opposite to mine Graham when looking from the flywheel side :headscratch:

Closes at 10 to

Opens at 20-25 past.

Jo, it should also be much harder to turn backwards as the piston is trying to suck against a closed shutter and closed valve and creates a vacuum.

Even an orange propane flame will soon earn this engine the name "sooty"

Yes, but what's your rotation Jason?

I was quoting from a clockwise rotation, from CHUK 1 my CHUK 2 runs anti clockwise. You're quite correct about the vacuum being created when trying to turn the engine in the wrong direction however.

We discovered that a Yellow flame works better, possibly due to it having unburnt fuel that continues to burn within the cylinder? A point for debate perhaps?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2019, 03:34:31 PM »
Posts have crossed, congratulations Jo, a runner!!

:cheers:

Video to follow??

Edit.

So a finished engine in roughly 20 days, but how many hours Jo, did you keep a log of time?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:38:54 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2019, 03:57:19 PM »
Still having problems with the burner  :ShakeHead:

So a weed wand run, which went a bit sideways :facepalm:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWeZoUqKMg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlWeZoUqKMg</a>

Its late in the day maybe I'l try again in the morning.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »
Does your exhaust come straight out the bottom Jo, raising it up off the bench so it can breath may help and could even get a quack out of it.

Graham, that was clockwise on mine. I now see yours runs the other way As to flame I meant anything other than blue is likely to cause some soot.

Get your dancing shoes on after tea and snickers :pinkelephant:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 04:10:33 PM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal