Author Topic: Two little CHUK's  (Read 16469 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Two little CHUK's
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »
 Two little CHUK's.

Those that follow Jo's Seal thread will know that Surus recently acquired a set of CHUK 2 castings from eBay. Included was a bearing housing for a CHUK 3, this I found intriguing because I must have sold this along with the other castings. Intrigue aside, despite hours of thinking I couldn't remember who!

CHUK was originally designed as a kit of castings to be sold alongside the various machine tools marketed by Chester UK, now Chester machine tools. I worked for them for several years as head of the engineering department.

My inspiration came from a deal with a friend who twisted my arm for a recently completed A&T engine, cash and an Ernst Planck vacuum engine came my way. The Planck was a non runner initially, it would draw in the flame, partially rotate then stall. Upon closer examination I discovered that the taper pin that located the crank web onto the shaft had sheared internally   so that when the vacuum occurred the valve timing would alter to stall the engine. Within a few minutes the broken pin was removed and replaced, I had a runner.

The Planck is a lovely piece of engineering lots of parts pressed together, my job was to simplify its composition to ease construction.

I decided upon a simple " A " frame to support the cylinder, probably helped by my recent IF Allman build, I cut down a pattern to suit. CHUK 1 was born.

CHUK 2 quickly followed, I have a " thing " for inverted engines and a gravity aided design seemed obvious. This engine was never sold openly nor sketched so only a handful of them exist. Over the next few weeks Jo and I will make a couple more to swell the ranks.

Cheers Graham.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:18:40 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Alyn Foundry

Re: Two little CHUK's
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
The first picture above is a Gas fired Ernst Planck vacuum ( flame licker/gulper ) engine from the late 1890/1900's that was the inspiration for the CHUK engines.

The second picture is of my original CHUK 1 and CHUK 2 engines, CHUK 1 was redesigned with a smaller, deeper and lighter base.

Photos below are of my initial progress with the new castings and a nasty surprise!!

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:32:15 PM »
Two little CHUK's.

Those that follow Jo's Seal thread will know that Surus recently acquired a set of CHUK 2 castings from eBay. Included was a bearing housing for a CHUK 3

I though Jo bought a CHUK 1 (A Frame) and also got the support for a CHUK2 (as per my CHUKY) with CHUK 3 being the horizontal  :headscratch:

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
Two little CHUK's.

Those that follow Jo's Seal thread will know that Surus recently acquired a set of CHUK 2 castings from eBay. Included was a bearing housing for a CHUK 3

I though Jo bought a CHUK 1 (A Frame) and also got the support for a CHUK2 (as per my CHUKY) with CHUK 3 being the horizontal  :headscratch:

Check out the fifth picture here Jason.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9113.msg205335.html#msg205335

Definitely a CHUK 2 but with a bonus bearing housing from CHUK 3.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:15:48 PM »
Nice to see you have started work on your CHUK 2 Graham. I showed your pictures to Surus and he thought that he would like his CHUK 2 done in parallel to yours  :mischief:

So I have been allowed to have a little fettle of the base casting and having returned it to him have bribed him with a Snickers so hopefully I will be allowed to do a little swarf making tomorrow   :pinkelephant:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:53:36 PM »
Hope you don't have the same issues with the base casting Jo.

Bill

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
Hope you don't have the same issues with the base casting Jo.

Bill

Good morning Bill.

It's highly unlikely that Jo will find any problems, that's good old Welsh Iron from the Rhuddlan foundry.   ;)

Just imagine that my base had been a flywheel rim? It's one of the reasons why I didn't push sales!!

I'm going to have to skim at least an 1/8" off to loose the broken edge, with a very sharp Carbide tool.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2019, 01:29:07 PM »
Jo has the little fellow been trying out your new sandblast cabinet on that base casting or have you just been busy with the wire brush as it looks a lot more pristine than in the e-bay photos now the Welsh wonder coating has been removed?

Graham, will you be building this one in much the same way as your first one or will there be any tweaks and alterations that you have found improve performance over the years?

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2019, 02:57:03 PM »
Jo has the little fellow been trying out your new sandblast cabinet on that base casting or have you just been busy with the wire brush as it looks a lot more pristine than in the e-bay photos now the Welsh wonder coating has been removed?

That special coating proves it is an Alyn Foundry original  :ThumbsUp: No aftermarket copies here  :hellno: But I had to take it off before Surus turned brown during our casting fondling sessions :facepalm2:

I decided that the base surface was so good it did not need skimming. I could just face and bore the top by holding it is a three jaw chuck.

As some know there are no finalised works drawings for this engine so all of them are a variation on the theme  ;) I chose to counter bore the top 3.5mm deep by 50mm diameter, after I shimmed the base so that the curved central section was running nearly true. I now think the 50mm would have been better if it was smaller as that way I could have used bigger screws to hold the cylinder down. 

No problem I already know smaller ones will be needed in the top so I can keep them all the same size - I'll use M3.

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 03:01:45 PM »
Off to a nice start already I see Jo. Should be an interesting build.

Bill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »
You will probably have to make the flap valve larger too as that is located sideways by the hole you have bored, the notes suggest 40mm between faces so about 44 dia
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:55:39 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
You will probably have to make the flap valve larger too as that is located sideways by the hole you have bored, the notes suggest 40mm

The notes with this engine identify it as 43.75mm A/F which is the same diameter as the spigot on the cylinder (43.75 A/F =  48mm diameter ). The Flap valve Spring is shown 51mm A/F but as I mentioned before there would have less to put the cylinder mounting screws through  :facepalm:

The important item missing is the bottom off a container of Cheese or salted Pringles to make the valve out of :P  I wonder which one is better  :thinking: Is the lack of the original items going to degrade the aesthetics of the engine  :noidea:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2019, 04:30:29 PM »
Peking Duck  :P would be my choice if not parting off a disc of CI

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 04:37:51 PM »
They do Peking Duck flavour  :o and I see Waitrose have them on special offer  :naughty:

Jo

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 04:42:13 PM »
They are very nice, but my dogs don't like me having them as they are too good to share ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal