Author Topic: Two little CHUK's  (Read 16446 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Two little CHUK's
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2019, 11:31:23 AM »
This photo of Graham's may help Jo

" A pictures worth a thousand words "

Thanks Jason, I seem to remember talking photos for you to build CHUKY but am unsure who, and with what device took them.

Perhaps you could post others, if the need arises?

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
Thank you Jason. If you recall Graham showed us his casting earlier and it had 7 fins (black arrow), it shows how the bearing yoke fitted on top of the cylinder leaving a small mount left which over lapped bored the same as the cylinder (red arrow) and the gap between the top cylinder fin and the bearing yoke was less than the spacing of the remaining fins (blue arrow). Later things changed and the gap above the top fin got larger  :headscratch:

So the spigot on the top of the cylinder is actually longer than the base of the bearing yoke  :-\

Jo
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:42:03 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »
I think Andy sent them to me so may have taken them, happy to post others if needed but best not show the special bolt hole spacing for cylinder to base ;)

EDIT don't have one of the top of cylinder with the bracket removed just these

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2019, 11:48:34 AM »
 :headscratch:

I have been on about getting over this gap (black) and the odd spacing above the top fin (red) on the original engine.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2019, 11:57:04 AM »
As I said yesterday put most of the groove into the thick top of the cylinder as sketch and the remainder into the bottom of the bracket's ring, probably have to be a bit shallower as graham's latest engine is particularly if using fixings.

Not drawn that well but the height gap should match the gap between other fins which will deal with teh red arrow.

Black arrow is simply getting your lengths right so there is no gap.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:08:09 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
So you are saying turn the top spigot on the cylinder down further and reduce the bearing yoke to make it look like another fin :noidea:

Turning a 1mm register on the underside of the yoke strikes me as easier/quicker and lets the spigot be thick enough for the mounting screw threads

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
So you are saying turn the top spigot on the cylinder down further and reduce the bearing yoke to make it look like another fin :noidea:

Turning a 1mm register on the underside of the yoke strikes me as easier/quicker and lets the spigot be thick enough for the mounting screw threads

Jo

Hi Jo.

Yes, this time I tried to make it look more aesthetically pleasing. The original was literally " thrown " together!!

Perhaps Jason should post the picture of the " hidden " horror story lol.

Edit.

On closer inspection of your picture of CHUK B I can now see why you're confused. The bearing yoke is, quite literally sat on the top lip of the cylinder having just been prised away for the previous picture.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:14:37 PM by Alyn Foundry »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
Jo, I don't have the castings or the drawings that you are working from so can't be exact in what I say but doubt it makes much difference where the metal comes off of. You could even assemble the two and turn the additional groove as one. Do note the position of Grahans shutter rod guide, may need moving if the groove is now going to be where the guide fits.

Graham if you insist. Now I have posted the pictures you can tell the tale. :) Also does the eccentric valve face give the quack a Welsh accent?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 12:34:24 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2019, 01:07:13 PM »
Thanks Jason.

We're all prone to making mistakes, haste, in this case. Luckily all hidden away!

Whilst at lunch with my wife and the CHUK's I suddenly noticed where some of the confusion arises from.

See attached picture of the original and the new, side by side. Where did that extra fin come from?   :)

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Where did that extra fin come from?   :)

I have given in asking that question  :disappointed:

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2019, 02:46:51 PM »
Where did that extra fin come from?   :)

I have given in asking that question  :disappointed:

LOL !!

Because fin seven was part machined and " blended " into the underside of the bearing yoke on my original engine. For what reason, I've no idea now? Perhaps the casting was rough?

With the new one I was able to fully use the end spigot and effectively blend the underside of the yoke casting to create the " look " of fin eight.

We have an extra few millimetres of bore to play with Jo, I wonder if we can increase the stroke length a little?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2019, 04:30:02 PM »
Is that enough shine for you?

:)

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2019, 12:00:24 PM »
Good morning.

It seems I have pleurisy, my GP said yesterday afternoon. I'm feeling rather rotten at this moment.

I have the piston casting set up in the Le Blonde with the chucking stub all machined up ready for the next exercise. But I fear it might be a few days before I set foot outside again, hell of a temperature and chest pains.

I've run out of bearings so have ordered some at £0.99 each from eBay.

Jo, perhaps you might consider getting some ball races for the conrod and shutter whilst I'm unable to contribute?

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2019, 01:16:51 PM »
Hope you feel better soon graham and that Jo has not caught your illness as her progress seems to have come to a halt if postings are anything to go by?

Offline Alyn Foundry

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2019, 02:51:32 PM »
Thanks Jason and to all who have sent messages.

I'm still feeling really rough with a high fever. Thank goodness for the multi fuel stove, I don't feel so cold!!
Wish I had one in the workshop.

Cheers Graham.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal