Engines > From Kits/Castings

Two little CHUK's

(1/40) > >>

Alyn Foundry:
 Two little CHUK's.

Those that follow Jo's Seal thread will know that Surus recently acquired a set of CHUK 2 castings from eBay. Included was a bearing housing for a CHUK 3, this I found intriguing because I must have sold this along with the other castings. Intrigue aside, despite hours of thinking I couldn't remember who!

CHUK was originally designed as a kit of castings to be sold alongside the various machine tools marketed by Chester UK, now Chester machine tools. I worked for them for several years as head of the engineering department.

My inspiration came from a deal with a friend who twisted my arm for a recently completed A&T engine, cash and an Ernst Planck vacuum engine came my way. The Planck was a non runner initially, it would draw in the flame, partially rotate then stall. Upon closer examination I discovered that the taper pin that located the crank web onto the shaft had sheared internally   so that when the vacuum occurred the valve timing would alter to stall the engine. Within a few minutes the broken pin was removed and replaced, I had a runner.

The Planck is a lovely piece of engineering lots of parts pressed together, my job was to simplify its composition to ease construction.

I decided upon a simple " A " frame to support the cylinder, probably helped by my recent IF Allman build, I cut down a pattern to suit. CHUK 1 was born.

CHUK 2 quickly followed, I have a " thing " for inverted engines and a gravity aided design seemed obvious. This engine was never sold openly nor sketched so only a handful of them exist. Over the next few weeks Jo and I will make a couple more to swell the ranks.

Cheers Graham.

Alyn Foundry:
The first picture above is a Gas fired Ernst Planck vacuum ( flame licker/gulper ) engine from the late 1890/1900's that was the inspiration for the CHUK engines.

The second picture is of my original CHUK 1 and CHUK 2 engines, CHUK 1 was redesigned with a smaller, deeper and lighter base.

Photos below are of my initial progress with the new castings and a nasty surprise!!

Cheers Graham.

Jasonb:

--- Quote from: Alyn Foundry on August 30, 2019, 07:13:38 PM --- Two little CHUK's.

Those that follow Jo's Seal thread will know that Surus recently acquired a set of CHUK 2 castings from eBay. Included was a bearing housing for a CHUK 3

--- End quote ---

I though Jo bought a CHUK 1 (A Frame) and also got the support for a CHUK2 (as per my CHUKY) with CHUK 3 being the horizontal  :headscratch:

Alyn Foundry:

--- Quote from: Jasonb on August 30, 2019, 07:32:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Alyn Foundry on August 30, 2019, 07:13:38 PM --- Two little CHUK's.

Those that follow Jo's Seal thread will know that Surus recently acquired a set of CHUK 2 castings from eBay. Included was a bearing housing for a CHUK 3

--- End quote ---

I though Jo bought a CHUK 1 (A Frame) and also got the support for a CHUK2 (as per my CHUKY) with CHUK 3 being the horizontal  :headscratch:

--- End quote ---

Check out the fifth picture here Jason.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,9113.msg205335.html#msg205335

Definitely a CHUK 2 but with a bonus bearing housing from CHUK 3.

Jo:
Nice to see you have started work on your CHUK 2 Graham. I showed your pictures to Surus and he thought that he would like his CHUK 2 done in parallel to yours  :mischief:

So I have been allowed to have a little fettle of the base casting and having returned it to him have bribed him with a Snickers so hopefully I will be allowed to do a little swarf making tomorrow   :pinkelephant:

Jo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version